PDA

View Full Version : 3D Puzzle's

ericks2
5th February 2020, 11:55 PM
Done these recently...

BobL
6th February 2020, 10:50 AM
They look good where did you get the plans from or did you do them yourself?

ericks2
6th February 2020, 12:48 PM
They look good where did you get the plans from or did you do them yourself?

Thanks....got them from makecnc.com

elanjacobs
7th February 2020, 12:12 PM
Can't see burn marks so I'm assuming it's a router and not a laser. How did you hold everything down? Vacuum table?

ericks2
8th February 2020, 01:28 PM
Can't see burn marks so I'm assuming it's a router and not a laser. How did you hold everything down? Vacuum table?

Yes router with a 1mm endmill. Just strips of double side tape...

BoneInspector
9th February 2020, 09:48 AM
I imagine double sided tape would be about only way.
Vacuum does not work well for small pieces.

I broke my only 1mm endmill before I could really use it, what cut depth and speed if you don't mind sharing?

elanjacobs
9th February 2020, 10:58 AM
Vacuum can work for small parts, but you have to zone it properly and be a bit tactical with how you cut

ericks2
9th February 2020, 09:57 PM
I imagine double sided tape would be about only way.
Vacuum does not work well for small pieces.

I broke my only 1mm endmill before I could really use it, what cut depth and speed if you don't mind sharing?

I cut through the 3mm mdf with one pass at 3.4mm at 18000rpm and feeding 600mm/m....

- - - Updated - - -

Vacuum can work for small parts, but you have to zone it properly and be a bit tactical with how you cut

True, that will be the next thing i need to sort out

elanjacobs
11th February 2020, 08:09 PM
The trick is to leave everything attached for as long as possible; back when I was running a big CNC router I used to cut a full sheet of parts, leaving about 1mm at the bottom of the cut and then go back over and cut everything out. This meant that I had full vacuum to hold the sheet while doing all the heavy cutting, but only a tiny amount of tool pressure as the parts were separated from the sheet so they didn't shift around.

Using this method means you can keep your normal speed/feed, so there's no extra heat and tool wear from running slower, but you also get to keep all your parts.

Obviously, I had a LOT of vacuum to play with (10hp pump, sometimes making up to 9 tonnes per square metre of negative pressure), so you might need to fiddle with speed and depth for your separating pass, but that's the general idea. Using a down-cut spiral for your finish pass will also be a big help with keeping things stuck down if you're able to swap tools easily.

ericks2
11th February 2020, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have a vacuum table from a German supplier. It did not do enough research on it. Now it's stripped and in storage atm. I might make one myself sometime.

BoneInspector
13th February 2020, 04:55 PM
The things you learn. I'll keep it in mind if I ever go the vac route.
I actually use masking tape on the bed and workpiece and simply superglue the back of the tape together. A lot cheaper than double sided tape.

ericks2
14th February 2020, 07:24 PM
Your tape idea sounds great, did you use masking tape?

BoneInspector
17th February 2020, 09:05 PM
Yup, the 32mm stuff from bunnings. Bear brand, 3M is better and nothing needs to be fancy about it.
Then the cheapest superglue I can find.

Only thing is that you need to remember the 0.2mm lift to the workpiece, which in many cases helps me as it means I can cleanly cut the wood without eating my wasteboard.

Link to a you tube vid showing how it's done, plenty of others out there.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uTsQ3dYRrk)

ericks2
17th February 2020, 11:41 PM
Yup, the 32mm stuff from bunnings. Bear brand, 3M is better and nothing needs to be fancy about it.
Then the cheapest superglue I can find.

Only thing is that you need to remember the 0.2mm lift to the workpiece, which in many cases helps me as it means I can cleanly cut the wood without eating my wasteboard.

Link to a you tube vid showing how it's done, plenty of others out there.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uTsQ3dYRrk)

Thank you, this is a great idea :)

ericks2
24th March 2020, 03:15 PM
Installed a better dust extraction setup. Will install a bin full sensor and automate the setup next :)

Lappa
26th March 2020, 09:57 PM
Installed a better dust extraction setup. Will install a bin full sensor and automate the setup next :)

Your hoses are the wrong way around.

BoneInspector
26th March 2020, 11:03 PM
I missed that myself. Good pickup. Swap them on the cyclone and it will work a lot better.

ericks2
26th March 2020, 11:53 PM
Your hoses are the wrong way around.

Thanks, i did not realise!!
Much appreciated :)

ericks2
29th March 2020, 11:34 AM
Again many thanks. The vacuum bag was totally blocked up with mdf dust due to swapping the hoses. All good now...also added a bin full sensor :)