PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate required

Krunchynuts
5th November 2005, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone.

Does anyone know is it possible to get a faceplate for a GMC ML 1000? I've just moved house and decided now's the time to learn how to use this machine and have just realised the faceplate hasn't made the move with me.

I'm even wondering if it's worth hunting the part by itself seeing as the whole machine was under $200 complete.

Another question. I've had a quick look on ebay for tools. Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? I realise I should really learn how to sharpen them too.

any input would be much appreciated. Having just moved to a quiet area, I'm yet to find any clubs or even people who turn that I can pester for help.

Grumpy John
5th November 2005, 07:37 PM
Hi krunchynuts

Welcome to woodturning, your life will never be the same.
Suggest you try Peninsula Woodturning Group they have clubrooms at Frankston

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/

Cheers
GJ

DanP
5th November 2005, 10:40 PM
Call Bunnies, they will order you one.

DavidG
5th November 2005, 11:43 PM
Krunchynuts
May I suggest that you run away from the lathe now or you will get hooked.
Then you will need:

New grinder
Bandsaw
Bigger lathe
New chucks
Gouges Scrapers.
Bigger bandsaw.
Bigger lathe.
Bigger chuck
More chuck jaws.
Dust control equipment.
New shed........
And so forth.

All your friends and neighbours will be sick of receiving wood turnings for what ever reason.

And that is only the first year............................................ ;)

Krunchynuts
9th November 2005, 07:57 PM
rightyo...

GJ, thanks for that link. Once my son starts kinder next year and I've got some free time, I'll get onto them.

DanP, thanks. I wasn't sure I could order that part by itself, but sofar Mitre10 haven't rung me back to say they're having a problem with my request.

David G.. LOL. I've owned my lathe 5yrs and including yesterday to check that after 5yrs idleness it still actually works, it's been switched on a total of 2 times.. never used. Family cr*p got in the way. Now's the time, I'm adamant. Having had a look around the internet including Darrell Feltmate's (can't remember his nic here) site am realising it's not just chisels and the like I'm going to need. A great tip from his site was to get a load of firewood for practicing. Once I get this faceplate and the tools paid for, I'll be wanting a circular saw. My stepdad's given me a lesson with one and I'm ok with it (unlike the scary chainsaw). I think cirular anyway. Not sure what a bandsaw does, or even what diameter each saw's good for. Looking around, sharpening isn't just a case of an oilstone... not if I want it done decently, but considering I'm a female on my own in my 30s, I'm not likely to want a decent setup like a grinder unless I get good enough to sell stuff.

I've seen pics of sharpening setups attached to the lathe. Is this something you'd buy or make yourself?

I'm sick of looking at my unused lathe, and in books and sites and dreaming about how much fun I know it's gonna be.

RETIRED
9th November 2005, 08:02 PM
A grinder is what you need for turning tools and a bandsaw I M H O is better than a circular saw for turning. Look at your P M.

DavidG
9th November 2005, 08:14 PM
Basically you need to:
1- spin the wood (Lathe)
2- hold the wood (Centres, dogs, Face plates and chucks)
3- cut the wood (Gouges and scrapers)
4- keep the tools sharp (Grinder)
You also need a supply of wood.

Cutting your own will require a saw of some type. Usually a chain saw to cut up large pieces of wood to make smaller pieces. I do not think a circular saw would be any use as they have a small depth of cut.

You really need to get in touch with and join a group and see what equipment they have that you can use or borrow.

You can buy ready prepared bowl blanks from a variety of places such as Mullumbimby wood works (http://www.mullumbimbywoodworks.com.au/)who will send them to you by mail.

For finishes see my signature.

gatiep
12th November 2005, 12:29 AM
Consider getting a proper woodturning scroll chuck rather than a face plate. If you need a face plate most any woodwork tool supplier like Carba-tec ( the Perth one definately ) will be able to help you. Mitre is not a speciality supply shop for woodturning gear.

Get one of the TJ-6 HSS chineminese toolsets (6 in a red plastic box ) for around $99-00. Their steel and shape is relatively good and at $99-00 at least you won't grind big money away whilst you're still learning how to sharpen your tools. Upgrade some gouges to Hamlet, P&N or whatever takes your fancy from Sheffield England when you wont be turning your $s into sparks on your grinder anymore.

Welcome to woodturning.....may you have a smooth ride

hughie
12th November 2005, 10:13 PM
Krunchynuts, This is wisdom, I am working my way through a similar list. The lathe no matter what it costs seems to be the least costly item in the business, sigh........

New grinder
Bandsaw
Bigger lathe
New chucks
Gouges Scrapers.
Bigger bandsaw.
Bigger lathe.
Bigger chuck
More chuck jaws.
Dust control equipment.
New shed........
And so forth

hughie

smidsy
16th November 2005, 12:58 PM
Hei Krunchy,
Did you end up getting a face place, how much did you pay.

I got given a GMC lathe but with no face plate - depending on the cost of the plate I was going to convert it to a disc sander.

Cheers
Paul