PDA

View Full Version : WRAPPED IN SATIN (wood)

Gary H
14th February 2020, 03:35 PM
There are a lot of timbers I have never heard of (let alone seen) and Tulip Satinwood is one of them. On a visit to Billinudgel I finally got to meet Hubcap Stan and he suggested I include the Satinwood piece in my purchases. So I did, and I'm rapt! SWMBO has grabbed this one and the kids have put it on their wish list - should have bought more. Dimensions are 230mm diameter and 65mm high. Finish is several coats of water based Clear Acrylic from a spray can. I would appreciate if members can let me know if this is readily available and, if so, from where - have to get more to prevent a Family Feud :wink:

Cheers, Gary

poundy
14th February 2020, 03:45 PM
nice grain !:o:)(

Ironwood
14th February 2020, 07:50 PM
Pretty flash Gary. I can see why there’s unrest in your camp. Better get that chequebook out mate :D

brainstrust
16th February 2020, 12:25 AM
tulip wood i know but not this tulip satin wood. super nice :2tsup:

do you find the acrylic spray can peel off fairly easily?

Gary H
16th February 2020, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the comments. Brad, my grandkids want to know "what's a chequebook?". Brainstrust, I have used the spray on lacquer for about four years and never had any peel off or crack. But I must admit that the bowls have never been subjected to hot water or a dishwasher - just a wipe over with a damp cloth. Only problem I have had was trying to rush by putting on a really thick coat - it runs quicker than Usain Bolt! It's fast, just an hour between coats, and I give it a very light sand after about five coats and then give one or two more.

Cheers, Gary

Old-Biker-UK
26th February 2020, 03:17 AM
Tulip Satinwood - Rhodosphaera rhodanthema (F.Muell.) Engl. [Anacardiaceae]

Full details here - PlantNET - FloraOnline (http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Rhodosphaera~rhodanthema)

Mark

brainstrust
27th February 2020, 01:18 AM
bloody hell..... nice:2tsup:
do you find the acrylic spray is sturdy and doesnt scratch off easily?

Gary H
28th February 2020, 07:38 AM
Thanks, Brainstrust. Can't say that my lacquer coated bowls have been subjected to any rough treatment (no dishwashers etc as stated in my earlier post) but normal handling and use over the last four years has not caused any peeling or scratching. Could be different if you have a cat :D. For about one quarter of a $14 can you could give one half a dozen coats and put it to a rough handling test. Will be interested to hear any results.

Cheers, Gary