PDA

View Full Version : Roof lining

nedskelly
6th November 2005, 12:36 AM
I am converting a 40ft bus to a motor home and am looking for some panneling to use to line the interior roof. I currently have a sheet of Lamipanel clamped to the roof and almost bent to the curve of the roof, not sure if I will be able to take it the last couple of inches befor it breakes and if it does go will I be able to glue it satisfactorily. I would be interested in learning of any other pannelling on the market that is very flexible

journeyman Mick
6th November 2005, 12:05 PM
Ned,
If you can bend the lamipanel without breaking it (that's a big, expensive "if") then you should be able to glue it in place using sikaflex or similar. A cheaper and easier option would be to use the 4.5 mm "poly" backing ply. This is used for the backs of kitchen cabinets and has a polyester gelcoat type white coating on the face. About $25 a sheet so a fair bit cheaper than the lamipanel and a lot more flexible. If the curves are tight you can always wet the back of the sheet. The only trouble you might have is finding plastic divisional mould for it. The last time I fitted out a boat with it I had to buy a complete bundle of the stuff, special order as no one was stocking it. Make sure you get the poly ply and not the cheaper stuff as this only has a paper liner.

Mick

scooter
6th November 2005, 09:01 PM
bunnings usually has div mould for 4.5 mm hardieflex c/sheet.

Ned, my folks build a motorhome about 5 years ago & are still on the road. Good luck with it, might be worth your while contacting and/or joining CMCA , an organised association for motorhomers & caravanners, they have newsletters, insurance deals, annual rallies, etc etc. Could be a good source of info for you.

Website is www.cmca.net.au

Cheers.....................Sean

Cheers................Sean

nedskelly
6th November 2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks Mick and Sean, I will chase up the 4.5 mm "poly" backing plyand see what it looks like.
Sean we are current members of CMCA and I spend a lot of time chasing up stuff on Mhome websites, lots of people will tell you how good it is and you can see lots of pics of finished rigs but to get info you have to ask specific ??. They have a sub branch called the Big rigs clan that I have joined, it should be a good source of info as they are all big coach conversions