PDA

View Full Version : Multi tip scrapers

jaybird
5th March 2020, 03:30 PM
I've been looking at some utube videos (mostly american turners) and they seem to use multi tip scrapers a lot. Hamlet have one with 3 tips for $107. Are they worth having, I dont seem to be able to get the hang of scraping and get massive catches, I've ground a couple of my scrapers to negative rake and this seems to work better. Thanks.

China
5th March 2020, 03:50 PM
Multi tip scrapers will not stop catches, technique will prevent catches, be mindful all the time the position of the tool on work

jaybird
6th March 2020, 09:29 AM
Thanks China, I'll keep catching until I get it right.

Biggus
6th March 2020, 09:39 AM
This is good:- YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvF5f1phhY)

"Understanding Woodturning Catches", with Richard Raffan. He addresses scrapers towards the end of the video.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2020, 10:00 AM
Catches aside, I do have a couple of multi-tip scrapers and I find I don't use them anywhere near as much as I do my ordinary scrapers.

Where a multi-tip comes into it's own is being able to off-set the tip to one side or t'other in order to be able to make cuts where an ordinary scraper just won't fit. eg. undercutting the lip of a bowl with a small opening.

Being off-set in this way, the cutting edge doesn't get support from the shaft/tool-rest so catches are technically more likely... but this is true of any off-set tool, changeable tip or otherwise.

They do the job, being a scraper the catches aren't dig-ins and one can learn to minimise risks with appropriate technique.

jaybird
8th March 2020, 11:30 AM
Thanks for replying, the video sheds some light on scrapers.

Paul39
10th March 2020, 11:04 AM
Several years ago I was having trouble with the accursed skew. With some advice from people here and about 20 hours of practice with the skew, I now grab the skew and knock out a tool handle for entertainment.

Get some advice from an experienced turner and spend about 20 hours making something using the scraper, not over 2 hours at a time but every day if possible. You can get negative rake by pointing the tip down.

I make bowls and use a scraper after almost all the cutting is done with a bowl gouge. My favorite outside scraper is a 12 X 2.5 X 3/8 inch piece of high speed steel that was a cutter for a planer. I sharpen it upside down with a slight arc which raises a burr, and present it pointing slightly down. It will shave off tissue paper thin shavings and dust. That burr lasts 15 to 30 seconds. My grinder is at the foot of the lathe and is running all the time. It is set up to make an 80 degree bevel on scrapers with a nice big tool rest. I give it a swipe on the grinder, do a cut, grinder, cut, etc.

My inside scraper is about 1.5 inches wide with a half round end, sharpened and used as above. I like a heavy scraper and big fat handle, start with the scraper firmly down on the tool rest, which is around 1/2 inch from the bowl, and ease it into the work. The weight of the tool and keeping it firmly on the rest will reduce or eliminate vibration. Vibration or chatter will give a rough finish. Pointing the tip slightly down gives you the negative rake.

Robo Hippy is the master of scrapers: YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4MKTOutZ3w) One can make bowls with only a scraper.

I hope the above helps. It is important to be aware of what is happening with the tool, and practice, practice, practice. By practice, I mean that you should make something.

NeilS
10th March 2020, 06:28 PM
You can get negative rake by pointing the tip down.

Pre-xactly!

By definition you are scraping when the bevel is less than 90° to the wood.

More than 90° and you are cutting, or maybe ploughing!

NeilS
10th March 2020, 06:44 PM
Where a multi-tip comes into it's own is being able to off-set the tip to one side or t'other in order to be able to make cuts where an ordinary scraper just won't fit. eg. undercutting the lip of a bowl with a small opening.

And, if the tip can be rotated (not just off-set) you can then do a shear scrape inside a form. The Woodcut pro-forme flexi scraper is excellent for this. And, of course, it can also be used on the outside of forms.

CWS Store - Woodcut Pro-Forme Flexi Scraper with 2 cutters (https://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/woodcut-pro-forme-flexi-scraper-with-2-cutters)

I am also a fan of the Woodcut power head for internal undercuts.

jaybird
12th March 2020, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the comments, Robo Hippy video explained a lot. I've been given a few chunks of green pine so I'm off to practice.