PDA

View Full Version : table saw fence safe?

hazard
6th November 2005, 09:54 PM
hi all. new member and first post. Which side of table saw should the fence be for safest use.

Gumby
6th November 2005, 10:26 PM
Generally, the right of the blade. But it isn't really a safety thing, it's just the easiest way to use it. You stand to the left of the timber, hold it in to the fence with your left hand and feed it with your right. Don't stand behind the timber. :eek: Left or right, it's still dangerous if you use it the wrong way.

Groggy
6th November 2005, 11:01 PM
This isn't as simple as you'd probably like to hear. Generally, Gumby's answer is correct. If you have a left-tilt saw - still ok.

But if you have a right tilt saw like most, you need to read up on how to safely cut a mitre cut. You must avoid having the waste piece pinched between the blade and the fence (unless you like getting a javelin in the groin:eek:).

I suggest that you do some reading on the subject, this forum has some tips if you search. Another way to find the info is to use Google.

Wild Dingo
9th November 2005, 11:55 AM
Javelin in the groin??? How tall are you? Mine would spear me through the chest!! :eek: but then Im only a short wheel base :p

Be very careful around that table saw... treat it with respect and have complete control and awareness when using it... slicing pain is its middle name has a particular penchant for taking fingers of in a single slice tossing a javelin of timber at supersonic speed and hurts like buggary!!

Oh usually the fence is on the right side of the saw blade as your looking at it... but as the tall lanky one says watch it when doing mitre cuts!! me I say watch the bloody thing constantly giving it the evil glare everytime you go near it make sure its setup right make sure your footings solid make sure NO ONE interups you when using it!!

Cheers :cool:

hazard
9th November 2005, 11:22 PM
i love reading you guys funny comments and appreciate the warnings!!!!

Ticky
10th November 2005, 12:32 AM
Hazard, Where abouts in adelaide are you?

Dennis O
10th November 2005, 08:58 AM
There are 2 dozen safety tips at this link - he discusses fence use too

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=317&page=2:

hazard
10th November 2005, 11:30 PM
Hi Tickey I live in valley view in north east suburbs . I have just built a cyclone from polypropylene sheet, ducting and blower next. Scored a great motor today from a very large old US built washing machine which will be the basis of a big fan to move a lot of air through my workshop which i have just started to refit. I HATE DUST and DUST MASKS!!!!!! How do I join the shavings together????

Rusty
10th November 2005, 11:44 PM
...slicing pain is its middle name has a particular penchant for taking fingers of in a single slice tossing a javelin of timber at supersonic speed and hurts like buggary!!
Actually, WD, you make it sound like it hurts alot more than buggery...ouch.

Rusty.

hazard
10th November 2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the link. Some sound information there

Ticky
12th November 2005, 01:01 AM
[quote=hazard]Hi Tickey I live in valley view in north east suburbs quote]

Hazard, If you can get down to North Haven on a week day, I can go over a few ideas & safety tips with you, & try to get you started in the right direction. I know it sounds like the other end of the earth from Valley View, but it's only 40 mins.

Failing that, I might be up your way (Smart Road) on Sunday 13th Nov, I could spare a bit of time possibly then.

Ticky

hazard
12th November 2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the offer Ticky. I work on the weekends but I might be able to catch up on a weekday sometime. I have RDO on tues and friday. All my time is being spent trying to get my messy workshop operational. Where does the time go on a day off??? Woodwork forum is great, I get so much info and assistance from it. Cheers. Hazard

Ticky
13th November 2005, 10:34 AM
Hazard, week day is better for me too. send me an email, [email protected] if you still want some help & we will work something out.

ticky

hazard
14th November 2005, 06:32 PM
time very short at the moment . si
o much to do. Ii will email you when i can and we can get together. I have a spinal injury problem too and little jobs sometimes take for ever.
cheers Hazard.