PDA

View Full Version : Could you tell me what wood this is please?

paulloseby
7th November 2005, 02:30 AM
Hi - We don't have many unusual woods in the UK and last year, I bought a piece of timber from an importer of Australian woods. Yesterday I made a pen from this pink wood that you seem to be able to see into and the lovely waves and swirls. Trouble is I haven't a clue what it is. Could some please tell me what wood it is, where it is from and generally something about it.

Many thanks for your help

Paul
I hope I have attached a couple of photos

floydus
7th November 2005, 05:53 AM
Hey Paul. looks like you've got a nice piece of Australian hardwood there.

normell
7th November 2005, 06:47 AM
Hey Paul. looks like you've got a nice piece of Australian hardwood there.

That would have to be the most idiotic answers I've ever seen.
Obviously Paul wants to know what type, IE name of wood it is, and first reply is from an IDIOT.
Sorry Paul, not all here are like this rat bag, and somebody will eventually give you an answer, which I can't.

Normell

sol381
7th November 2005, 07:32 AM
Looks like a northern silky oak.. Has the same grain and a pinkish to brown colouring.
If it is and you want any more you might be outta luck. Its now a protected species.
stef

Utuk_Xul
7th November 2005, 02:10 PM
normell, having a bad day? floydus could have just been making a comment on how nice the wood is. There are a few ways to interpret his post. I hardly see where his post deserved your aggressive response. Let's keep it light eh guys?

normell
7th November 2005, 02:22 PM
normell, having a bad day? floydus could have just been making a comment on how nice the wood is. There are a few ways to interpret his post. I hardly see where his post deserved your aggressive response. Let's keep it light eh guys?

No having a good day actually.
If floydus was ment to be making a positive comment, why didn't he just do that, instead of "
Hey Paul. looks like you've got a nice piece of Australian hardwood there. "

paulloseby, in his post asked " Trouble is I haven't a clue what it is. Could some please tell me what wood it is, where it is from and generally something about it. "

Normell

Utuk_Xul
7th November 2005, 02:57 PM
Well... that comment CAN be interpreted as referring to how nice the wood is. We are all so quick to interpret the negative aspect of things these days.

looks like you've got a nice piece of australian hardwood there. Read as:

That's a nice piece of australian hardwood. lol

Nothing more to it, my friend. Anyway, I mean no offense to ya...just as I'm sure floyd had no ill intentions.

reeves
7th November 2005, 03:02 PM
mm interesting,,bit hard to see...
i think the Nth silky oak, (cardwellia sublimis) is a pretty good call....
also southern SO,(gevilliea robustus) does come in some very pink logs and its pretty similar...

yes Myrtle was my first thought but looking closer at the grain...mm SO is a decentc all..clearer pictures might help...

pen looks cool

cheeeeeeeers

Rocker
7th November 2005, 03:07 PM
Paul,

The wood looks more like Tasmanian myrtle (Nothofagus cunninghamii) to me.

Rocker

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th November 2005, 06:27 PM
With that colour I also thought Tas. Myrtle at first, but ruled it out as I've never seen it figured quite like that. Doesn't mean it isn't, of course...

sandman
7th November 2005, 08:46 PM
I have an almost identical piece of Tasmanian Myrtle in the form of a pen & you would swear they were from the same tree!
My guess is definatley the Tas Myrtle.
Regards Sandman. :)

Wood Butcher
7th November 2005, 09:01 PM
I would have to agree with tas myrtle. I can see how some would think silky oak because of the colour but the grain does not look right to be silky oak.

Rocker
7th November 2005, 09:06 PM
Check out this thread for a cabinet made in figured Tas Myrtle.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=13064

Rocker

floydus
7th November 2005, 09:12 PM
I'm actually in awe of these blokes who can determine a species from a picture such as yours Paul, absolutely no offence intended.

KevM
7th November 2005, 10:23 PM
Yesterday I made a pen from this pink wood that you seem to be able to see into and the lovely waves and swirls. Trouble is I haven't a clue what it is. Could some please tell me what wood it is, where it is from and generally something about it.

Good day Paul,
I'd suggest that you have a piece of Tasmanian Myrtle, it comes in a large quantity of colours and grain. Check here (http://www.tastimber.tas.gov.au/species/myrtle_01.asp) on the Tasmanian Timber Website for details on our myrtle.

I have attached a picture of a pen I turned a couple of years ago when I first started, I think you will find it has a very similar grain. Myrtle can start life with rich red and pinks and end up shades of straw to brown after exposure to light.

Kev M

paulloseby
8th November 2005, 05:48 AM
Thanks ever so much all and no I didn't take offence. To be honest, I knew that Australians have a different sense of humour at times and just put it down to that - I certainly wasn't upset. I actually wanted to move out there in the 1970's on the £10 passages but in the end, we didn't want to leave our parents. Now I'm too old and wouldn't get the points. I should have been around 100 years ago and I probably could have come over for free but then I wouldn't have had a nice lathe.

Anyway again, thank you all - I do appreciate the help. You certainly have much nicer timber than we do and I'll bet your beer is cold!

Regards

Paul

rodent
11th November 2005, 02:13 AM
it could also be leather wood both are lovely timbers . see if you can get some tiger myrtle same tree as myrtle but with its own type of spalting it looks like tiger markings but the timber stays stable.

bitingmidge
11th November 2005, 06:32 AM
Looks like you've got a nice piece of Australian hardwood there.

:D :D :D
P

Wild Dingo
11th November 2005, 05:22 PM
Of course our beers cold!! Whaddaya think we are pommys?!!! :D

As for us having more interesting wood down here... not quite so mate... I mean Id love a bit of your yew timber elm ash eider willow larch etc etc etc... all rather relevant eh wot! I had a similar conversation with a Septic Tank awhile back with him sayin how we have way better timbers downunder than they do up there but then when I pointed out that we dont have Hickory etc etc well he took a wee look around him and say "yeah Shane mate your right we do have some bloody fine timbers up here just not your Jarrah Sheoak Tazzy Myrtle or Huon Pine eh" and thats it in a nutshell isnt it!!... as old Maxwell Smart would say "the old grass is always greener on the other side of the fence trick"

Come on down!! were a bloody friendly bunch or reprobates and theres friggin mobs of you pommy gits coming down here to retire!! ;) You just talk weird... well not as weird as the Seppos or Canuks but weird none the less :rolleyes: :p

Cheers!

warm beer?:rolleyes: strewth flamin pommy git :D

rsser
12th November 2005, 03:38 PM
Could be Tas myrtle, which is pretty varied as to colour, but apart from spalt and burl I haven't seen it this varied in one small piece.

Old Croc
14th November 2005, 07:58 PM
This timber could also be NQ Myrtle, a lot harder than Tassie stuff and always has that swirl and variation in the colour. This could be part of a shipment from about 4 yrs ago that I supplied to a guy on the tablelands who was sending it to Craft Supplies I think.
Regards croc,

soundman
20th November 2005, 10:19 PM
What did it smell like when you were turning it.

Looks not dissimilar to a piece of brush box. Its hard from a photo.
Is it realy pink , hows the colour of the foto compared to real.

:confused: :confused: :D