PDA

View Full Version : Bruising on wood

Tiger
7th November 2005, 10:44 AM
Dear all,

I was after some general advice. I have noticed that I get some bruising on my turning especially when cutting beads. The effect is more pronounced on pine which is what I use to practice on. The bruising has a slight rippled look about it. It seems to occur when I use the skew chisel to cut beads and my theory is that it's because the bevel is rubbing more than it should. What do you guys think?

Also, do you use the very toe of the skew chisel (according to Rowley) or the middle to toe part of the skew (as Raffan suggests) when cutting your beads. There seems to be some discrepancy here. Which one gives the better finish?

Thanks for any responses.

DavidG
7th November 2005, 11:29 AM
has a slight rippled look about itProbably vibration causing the ripple. Try using your hand on the wood and skew to dampen the vibration of the skew.

or the middle to toe part of the skew (as Raffan suggests) Yes.

adrian
7th November 2005, 11:52 AM
Have you tried lower speed settings?.

Tiger
7th November 2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the repsonse David. Must admit though that I do find the toe of the skew easier to make beads with. Seem to have a lot more catches with the middle to lower part of the skew, guess we just have to practice and practice ...

Tiger
7th November 2005, 11:57 AM
Have you tried lower speed settings?.

Hi Adrian,

Have tried to adjust the speed, but not anything too low as there seems to be greater vibration at the lower speeds.

La truciolara
8th November 2005, 09:15 PM
It might be that you push too hard the bevel on the wood and have some involuntary hesitations …
Personally I would not slow down the lathe. I often suggest to put the lathe speed at the maximum allowed by the size of the piece of wood to be turnedMy rule of thumb is that for starting from a rough blank the speed of the circumference should be about 15 metre per second, while for turning it should be about 19 meter per second
If you do the calculation you will be able to see whether you are fast enough or too slow.
The formula is the following: http://tinypic.com/ff1d0z.gif
19: is the speed of the circumference in meter
0,30 is the diameter of the piece of wood in meter
1210 is the speed at wich your lathe should rotate

Tiger
9th November 2005, 10:35 AM
It might be that you push too hard the bevel on the wood and have some involuntary hesitations …

Thanks, truciolara for your reply, I have tried the lightest of touch and there still is a bit of marking on the wood. It certainly seems more prevalent on pine which makes me think it's the wood more than me :( . I have also noticed some very light spiral ribbing which will come out with sanding but it would be nice to get a decent finish just from the tool to minimise the sanding.