PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a club in Melbourne

Rookie
7th November 2005, 11:34 AM
I'm in East Doncaster and I'm looking for a woodworking club somewhere not too far away. I have searched and looked at the VWA web site, and the closest ones so far appear to be Ferntree Gully, Yarrambat, and Waverley, with woodturning at Templestowe. The Tritoin guys are at Homesglen, but I only have one piece of Triton gear (router and table.... so maybe that's two :confused: ) so I would feel like a bit of a fraud there.

I'm after somewhere I can learn from others and increase my skills in furniture making, because I have none at the moment, and also somewhere I have access to the tools I may need occasionally but don't have (jointers etc).

Any info appreciated.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th November 2005, 01:40 PM
Central Woodturners (I think... we just refer to 'em as Central) is based in Doncaster. Mebbe Box Hill.

They're primarily woodturners (funny that! :D ) but also have interests in other areas of woodwork. Being a large club, someone there should at least be able to point you in the right direction if they're not what you're looking for.

Rookie
7th November 2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks for that. I've been down there a couple of times. My wife is joining one of the turning clubs there. They don't list any clubs other than turning and carving, but I might aska few more questions of the inevitable old timers that these clubs always have. Mines of information. All of them.

Bruce Wilson
7th November 2005, 01:48 PM
You are fortunate to be very close to an excellent club in Box Hill, whereas I have to travel 65 km each way every week to participate but I believe it is worth the trouble.
The club has been running about 3 years with currently about 120 members. 3 to 4 hour day and evening sessions are run (including the weekend) as small groups usually limited to 6 people plus a very experienced tutor to personally guide you through your chosen project and teach you safe operation of the club's well equipped machine shop. My tutor of a Wednesday morning is a professional fine furniture designer and maker, who also teaches at a major technical institute. Other tutors also have a professional woodworking background, including one who has recently returned after many years working with top craftspeople in the UK and US. Fellow session members are a great source of encouragement and experiences to share, and the quality of their work shows what can be achieved in less time than trying to learn on your own. Special weekend courses are also sometimes run on particular subjects such as routing, sharpening and tuning handtools, furniture restoration, and a specific project for beginners.
The club premises have a separate quality machine shop with jointer, thicknesser, table and mitre saws, bandsaw, pedestal drill, and good dust extraction all round. The separate bench room has a bench for each session participant, and is fully equipped with every imaginable handtool and power tool. You can use tools made by companies such as Lie-Nielsen, Veritas, and Festool, and compare them other makes such as Stanley, Makita etc. This is an excellent way to consider and value alternatives before making substantial purchases. The club also has a good reference library of quality books, current magazines and catalogues, and is building up an audio visual facility to further enhance training.
This financially sound not-for-profit club is run by a very dedicated and enthusiastic committee, always around to help us all enjoy the wonderful world of fine woodworking.

A club highly recommended.

Melbourne Woodcraft & Furniture Makers
6 Rowern Court
Box Hill

Phone 9897 3055
email [email protected]
website www.mwfm.com.au

Bruce

Wood Borer
7th November 2005, 01:54 PM
Bruce's suggestion is spot on, give them a call.

DPB
7th November 2005, 02:33 PM
The Triton guys are at Holmesglen, but I only have one piece of Triton gear (router and table.... so maybe that's two :confused: ) so I would feel like a bit of a fraud there.

Any info appreciated.

Don't let your lack of Triton equipment deter you from looking into the Triton Club. Many members have none, and other members have other brands of equipment.

The big advantage to this club is that its a great way to meet others with the same interest and the cost is very reasonable. We meet once a month on the third Sunday commencing at 9:00AM and concluding about 11:00AM. Shop work is done on equipment which is provided.

It is a club that appeals to new to intermediate woodworkers. Our resident Triton expert is a great guy, an official Triton demonstrator, and has designed many of the Triton project published by Triton. It's a great way to get started with woodworking, although a number of members have pushed the envelope and do really quite fine work.

Come along to the next meeting and see for yourself - visitors are always made welcome, and the annual fee of $50, is prorated at the beginning of the year (February).:)

Wood Borer
7th November 2005, 02:55 PM
Don't let your lack of Triton equipment deter you from looking into the Triton Club.

I haven't been to any of the Holmesglen Triton meetings but their newsletter indicates it is a very good and active club.

I have visited the Box Hill Club quite a few times but not when club activities or classes have been conducted. Their workshop and their instructors are very good.

It might pay to check out both these clubs to see which is the most suitable for you. Neither of them are duds.

The Knox and Waverley Clubs are also good active clubs.

Rookie
7th November 2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks all for the replies.

Bruce, I just missed the open day at Box Hill a few Sundays ago because I overcommitted my weekend (again). Would really have liked to make it. I did visit their web site and checked out membership. The fee structure is a bit ambiguous. I wasn't sure whether tutor groups were the only way to use the club (apart from short courses) and if so, whether the joining fee AND the per term tutor group fee were both applicable. If so it gets a bit expensive after a few terms although from the sound of it the facilities are really first class. Happy to take this discussion to PM if you wish.

The other replies confirmed my research I think, in that I didn't miss any clubs and Ferntree Gully (Knox), Waverley and Homesglen are my options in addition to Box Hill. Central are at Templestowe, but are only turning or carving.

Thanks again. Ill start the rounds of phone calls and visits. See some of you out there I guess.

Gumby
7th November 2005, 04:25 PM
I haven't been to any of the Holmesglen Triton meetings but their newsletter indicates it is a very good and active club.

Drop in any time Rob, always welcome. ;)

Wood Borer
7th November 2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the invitation Ian, I might just drop in one Sunday, I'll let you know before hand.

ozwinner
7th November 2005, 06:37 PM
Heres a club.
Used for making Jerries go nighnighys.

Al :p

Auld Bassoon
7th November 2005, 06:46 PM
Hi Al,

Was that kept next to the cash register at the "craporium"?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

ozwinner
7th November 2005, 06:53 PM
Hmm no.

This a genuine WW1 go nighnighys club, ( knobkerrie).
They used to use them in trench raids to see how many, and who were in the trenches.
The same used to happen to our mob too.

Ive got it at home, I may donate it to the war memorial in Canberra.
Seems the only fitting thing to do.

Its made of Kaurri pine, with 3" nails that are bitten off.

It gives you an errie feeling holding it. :eek:

Al :(