PDA

View Full Version : Flattening blanks for glueup

44Ronin
17th March 2020, 04:30 PM
Hi, I'm new to turning bowls and want to glue together stock face to face - to make deeper vessels, but some of my material is not flat enough for glueup, what are some strategies to achieve this?

I have #4 & #5 planes but relatively new at using hand planes. I have heard you can use a flattening sanding block on the lathe.

Anyone know the most achieveable method?

44Ronin
17th March 2020, 07:23 PM
I know this is a dumb question, just looking for basic reassurance/mentorship in hard times (lost both jobs at once via coronavirus)

Peter White
18th March 2020, 05:56 AM
Sanding block on lathe draw lines around disk and sand until all gone then check with a good straight edge and hold up to a light to see if slight gaps are seen.
Wheh it is really flat glue to your project and when dry flatten front side.

poundy
18th March 2020, 07:24 AM
depending on how much you need to remove, a large sheet of sandpaper glued on a flat surface (eg melamine). With some careful measurement and management you can joint most things that way, but be wary of sanding in one direction too much as you can create wedge shaped objects (with really nice flat surfaces, but wedges none the less)

Tonyz
18th March 2020, 09:18 AM
can I suggest moving or adding this to general woodwork, there are many Melb members, surely someone would be willing to share their sanding equipment for/with you.

If your new at lathe work Id starting with simple pieces, ie 1 piece of timber rather than pieces glued ...2 bobs worth.