PDA

View Full Version : Winged box/bowl no. 3

smiife
22nd March 2020, 08:15 PM
Hi guys , thought I would take a photo of this camphor winged box before I blew this one up as well !:C
Lots of cracks have been filled as they appear and finally got it this far , roughly 4mm thick and one coat of DO so far so good.....

Not sure why but photos are upside down !🤔

Nubsnstubs
23rd March 2020, 01:47 AM
Smiife, I personally wouldn't be too concerned about those cracks as they don't look to go past your tenon/recess. If they did, I'd sure you would have had a picture of it. I make my own 3/8" dowels of the same species and drill dowel holes just under the cracks bridging them. When done, they not only support the piece, but now I have a piece that has features that some can be downright attractive.

Below is a video of what I did on drilling. Unfortunately, I couldn't find my glue bottle, so the video ended without showing the dowel insertion. Somewhere on the black hole of my computer are the videos of that bowl being completed, but don't know where it is.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfEvT15eTw&t=31s)

Jerry (in Tucson) USA

Dalboy
23rd March 2020, 04:23 AM
The crack on this one doesn't look too bad just keep the speed down. What has been done looks good and the finish has brought out the grain a treat.

Acco
23rd March 2020, 07:33 AM
Not sure why but photos are upside down !樂

Turn your up the other way when taking the pics.

doragus
23rd March 2020, 12:41 PM
If you are using a Windows PC to post on the forum, download a free very simple photo management program called IrfanView. You can rotate, crop, increase/decrease size and some other useful stuff like colour adjustment without needing a degree in graphic design. You can get your photos the way you want them and then upload. I use it as my default photo viewer/management program and really dont need any other although the stuff built into Windows is still there if needed.
Give it a go.
Chris

Optimark
23rd March 2020, 01:33 PM
I agree 100% with downloading Irfanview, which is named after the inventor of the program Irfan Skiljan. I have been using this program for probably 20 years, or at the very least, quite a long time. :D

You can download it from here:

IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide (https://www.irfanview.com/)

In the meantime, I grabbed your first picture and rotated it in Irfanview, probably took around 8 seconds.

I also like what you have done, and I would dearly wish to have some of that timber to turn, the smell is wonderful.

Mick.

warrick
23rd March 2020, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=Optimark;2179135]

In the meantime, I grabbed your first picture and rotated it in Irfanview, probably took around 8 seconds.

Mick.

[QUOTE]

I do the same thing with the default windows picture viewer
Double click the photo, edit , rotate, save copy -all done

The forum doesn't recognise which way is up on phone photos which is what causes this problem

Rick

PS love the bowl/box

smiife
25th March 2020, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys for all your comments and help with photos etc !:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

brainstrust
25th March 2020, 09:52 PM
I see a bowl not a box, is a lid coming?
I luv CL especially for something regarded as a weed!
Haven't seen any this dark but thats not saying much!

smiife
26th March 2020, 08:11 PM
I see a bowl not a box, is a lid coming?
I luv CL especially for something regarded as a weed!
Haven't seen any this dark but thats not saying much!

Hi BT, it is a bowl at the moment , with a box in the centre ,:;
It will morph in to a winged box with a lid and maybe a final
If I am lucky enough to get that far , just need to get some shed time....:~

brainstrust
27th March 2020, 10:08 PM
looking forward to seeing what comes, makes sure you post it:)