PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Theodorius
7th November 2005, 05:07 PM
I'm thinking of trying to make a chess set, and was considering buying a small pen lathe (such as the Jet JPL-358). Do you think that a tiny lathe like this will be adequate? Could I turn something around 1 to 1.5" diameter with it? I'd love to have something larger, but I'm on a budget.

Any suggestions are appreciated - I'm still learning!

Wizened of Oz
8th November 2005, 01:07 PM
Turning can be addictive and you might very soon get frustrated by the limitations of such a tiny lathe.
I would suggest at least go one step up to the Jet Mini. The variable speed model is particularly convenient. With this size lathe you can turn pens & chess sets, but also halfway decent sized items up to nearly 10" diameter.
If you want to turn longer items a bed extension is available.
Just one opinion. You are sure to hear some others.

Kind regards
Brian

bennylaird
8th November 2005, 03:10 PM
When making parts for scale model aircraft a drill in a vice (cushioned of course) allows you to do some nice lathe work. Needle files work well to. Have made some quiet large cowls, wheels, etc.

But all you need for the chess pieces is a nice 5 axis cnc router................

La truciolara
8th November 2005, 08:44 PM
I'm thinking of trying to make a chess set, and was considering buying a small pen lathe (such as the Jet JPL-358). Do you think that a tiny lathe like this will be adequate? Could I turn something around 1 to 1.5" diameter with it? I'd love to have something larger, but I'm on a budget. ...Any suggestions are appreciated - I'm still learning!
Welcome Theodorius
Yes such a lathe is quite adequete. You will be surprised with what you will be able to do with it.
Then, as already said, been adictive, you will have all the necessary time to put some money aside to offer yourself a larger lathe when time comes.
Good turning ;)