PDA

View Full Version : Paving Paint and Masking

leeton
7th November 2005, 07:02 PM
G'day all,
I have decided to do up the old shed for the kids, the floor is concrete, and I want to paint it in Black & White squares, easy you say, well I have started with the white, overall base colour, now ready for the black, but pretty concerned about masking off the lines, the concrete is pretty rough, and I reckon the tape will allow the black to bleed underneath, and would look shocking...I used White Knight paving paint for the white, and it is bloody thin in consistency, so I imagine the black would be the same...being so thin, would just run under tape...a mate suggested I spray the black using a stencil, but not the best with a spray gun, and worried about overspray everywhere. Any suggestions appreciated, or from your experiences what is the best paint to use...thinking about going the old Berger stuff...been around for years....Hope I have explained my dilema cleary enough, so you all get the drift.
Thanks.

Theremin
7th November 2005, 07:34 PM
I used the Berger Jet Dry Heavy Duty paving paint with proper painter's masking tape and it didn't run at all. I used a roller to apply the paint. You can kind of see the edge I did in this picture.

leeton
7th November 2005, 07:41 PM
Nice job Therimin...if I can get edges like that I will be very happy, but I must admit your concrete is a lot smoother than mine, but thanks for the tip...as I said I was leaning towards Berger...think you may have convinced me. :)

leeton
14th November 2005, 11:20 AM
Well I went for the Berger Paint, so much better than the White Knight stuff, but still had trouble with masking off, it bleed under the tape as I guessed it would, so I hand painted all the edges with a good brush, pretty happy with the job, I will try and upload a pic or two.

Theremin
14th November 2005, 04:44 PM
That is a lot of edges!! Good work. I guess the smoothness of the concrete would have a lot to do with how much it bleeds under the tape.

ctd
15th November 2005, 03:06 PM
'doing up an old shed for the kids' certainly has changed from the days when I was a kid - then it meant sweeping out all the sawdust and putting in an old table found at the tip. Now they get juke machines and classy floors . . . must remember not to show my kids those photos.

leeton
15th November 2005, 03:59 PM
Well when I say the kids...it is for my daughters 21st, and I made the Jukebox...cost me bugger all..but you should see the rest of the shed...just quietly it is a secret passion of mine, I am doing the whole thing up as an old 50's Diner/Milkbar...booth seats, shop counter, lollie jars, milk shakes, old signs, gumball machines...all that stuff...love it.