smiife
29th March 2020, 08:43 PM
Got some shed time today .........Got to love this social distancing...:2tsup:
No visitors, no family , no one to bother me all day :U :U:U:U:U

Finally got the winged bowl almost finished, sanded to 800g with 1 coat of DO
any comments and advice welcome as always

tony_A
29th March 2020, 09:22 PM
Well thats turned out rather nicely, great piece of wood and an excellent finish. Must be a fair bit of satisfaction finishing this one.

Tony

brainstrust
29th March 2020, 10:29 PM
friggin awesome:2tsup: wish you took a video of creating that, it's beyond me!!!!

Fekit
29th March 2020, 10:48 PM
Love it. The concept and the execution are clearly superb.......but.

4 points of contact is doomsville all the way.

I know it's not necessarily easy to maintain an aesthetic, but try and design with a 3 point contact from the start. Concealment is always an option.

Nice work and well done nevertheless.

Uncle Al
30th March 2020, 08:08 AM
A very delicate looking box, I hope it stays stable with the 4 point contact. Turning air is quite a challenge, especially to your fingers when sanding. Glad it stayed together for you, plenty of others have had failures at the last minute with jobs similar to this.

Alan...

smiife
30th March 2020, 07:59 PM
Well thats turned out rather nicely, great piece of wood and an excellent finish. Must be a fair bit of satisfaction finishing this one.

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks mate , yeah, it,s not finished yet , but happy with it so far :2tsup:

friggin awesome:2tsup: wish you took a video of creating that, it's beyond me!!!!

Hi BT, taking a video of me woodturning ...........nah , I don,t think so , is there an xxx rated category :U

smiife
30th March 2020, 08:13 PM
Love it. The concept and the execution are clearly superb.......but.

4 points of contact is doomsville all the way.

I know it's not necessarily easy to maintain an aesthetic, but try and design with a 3 point contact from the start. Concealment is always an option.

Nice work and well done nevertheless.

Hi Fectit.........4 points of contact will be achieved when it,s finished , this was just a quick piccy of the progress so far , I hadn't,t even noticed that one " leg " didn,t land properly....Very observant of you though
Just straight of the lathe and one coat of DO.

A very delicate looking box, I hope it stays stable with the 4 point contact. Turning air is quite a challenge, especially to your fingers when sanding. Glad it stayed together for you, plenty of others have had failures at the last minute with jobs similar to this.

Alan...

HI Alan, thanks for your thoughts , very much appreciated , just got to put on some more finish and polish
and make a lid and maybe a finial,