PDA

View Full Version : Under lathe cover

Tonyz
30th March 2020, 08:26 PM
getting the Nova 3000 set up and fitting some MDF panels into legs to stop shavings etc getting caught in there. Also want to make a thin metal plate that will screw to wall at lathe bed height then slowly curve down under the bed and have a decent lip on the end...again to stop mess getting down behind the lathe...
good idea or pedantic stupidity?

I also have the dust 150 bell mouth set up at back of bed and just below bed height, am also using a Y and bringing a portable bell mouth so when I get into using turning big stuff I wont have all the shavings flying everywhere...

hopefully drawing will clarify it.

powderpost
30th March 2020, 08:33 PM
My lathe is set up about 600mm from the wall so that I can work between the lathe and wall. I hang chucks etc. on the wall behind me on the wall. This way I can see anyone approaching me as well.

Jim

Tonyz
30th March 2020, 08:35 PM
wish I had the room.:rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st March 2020, 12:45 PM
I think we all understand where you're coming from with this and I've seen many variants.

Personally, I built similar but leading into a dust port that also scavenged the ways. Like all the variants I've seen, it worked... mostly.

Unfortunately, with the ducting, etc. it was a pita to access underneath, especially as far back as the wall. Whenever I dropped anything, guess where it ended up? And although it prevented curlies from dropping down, within six months there was a layer of very fine dust that really needed to go.

I put up with it until I did a major geographical and the setup wasn't re-installed at the new shed.

As I said; it worked "mostly." But in the long run I spent significantly more time crawling around under the lathe on my knees and that's something I'm even less of a fan of. ;)

One day I'll see a version that I'll want to copy... but I suspect that it'll be more along the lines of a metal grid floor suspended over a flowing river! :D