PDA

View Full Version : pen lamination

AJcairns
7th November 2005, 09:06 PM
thought i would share this with you after trying midges howto diy info on other thread top is camphour laurel bottom is qld maple veneers are blackbeen give us your thoughts btw i am going to make top and bottom to suit each one

thanks AJ

Wood Butcher
7th November 2005, 09:09 PM
AJ,
That looks great. Wouldn't mind having a few of them on me desk. How hard was it cutting and glueing such small sections??

AJcairns
7th November 2005, 09:15 PM
greatest time is for glue to dry and making small jig to get the cuts the same each time worked out jig on paper to get angle right and cut on band saw
thanks AJ

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th November 2005, 01:23 AM
Just as a matter of interest, what angle did you cut at?

After spotting Midges' DIY I also glued up a pen (blackwood & poplar) but methinks I got the angle wrong. I used 45° but somehow it just doesn't look right... I'm hoping it'll be OK when turned, not holding my breath on it though.

dai sensei
8th November 2005, 12:56 PM
Well done AJ:) . I am interested in your jig on how you got the cuts all equal.

I posted the pen I made under Midge's original thread, but didn't get them all equal:o . Mind you, I just cut them freehand on the bandsaw. I've since done a few more pefume sprayer holders with the pattern taking a bit more care, but they still didn't turn out equal.

I used Mitre Fix to clue them up originally, but it set in a couple of seconds which was too fast. I ended up getting the best results with CA, it gives you a few more seconds to get the pieces lined up, but still very fast so you can finish the pen the same day.

SkewChiMamn - make your cuts as flat as possible. I cut from corner to corner on the blank, but when I turned it because of the reducing dia, the circles were only very small:eek: .

Cheers

bitingmidge
8th November 2005, 03:20 PM
Just as a matter of interest, what angle did you cut at?
I used 45° but somehow it just doesn't look right... I'm hoping it'll be OK when turned, not holding my breath on it though.

The angle of the dangle is of no consequence, you'll just get a more "squat" looking ellipse.

There is no reason why they have to be at the same angle or even the same thickness, the only part that needs precision is the cut out needs to be exactly the same dimension as the insert bit. (I hope that makes sense, it's snoozy time in the afternoon!)

Cheers,

P

AJcairns
8th November 2005, 09:37 PM
posted copy of jig used as you can see pretty basic , angle is approx 70 degrees accross vertical and fence is 30mm away from blade this works for me but i am sure there would be more brains out there with better ones after all mine is cut on gmc (baby) jigsaw .

thanks AJ

AJcairns
9th November 2005, 07:44 PM
sorry about photo last night so posted new photos , hope is clearer on bandsaw

catch you
AJ

dai sensei
9th November 2005, 09:59 PM
sorry about photo last night so posted new photos , hope is clearer on bandsaw

catch you
AJ

Thanks AJ, simple but effective.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th November 2005, 10:52 PM
angle is approx 70 degrees accross vertical Aha! Thanks AJ, I thought mine was looking odd. Methinks it'll turn to look more like a text-book diagram of an atom than the nice ellongated ellipses I'd hoped for.

darley
15th November 2005, 10:53 PM
The angle of the dangle is of no consequence, you'll just get a more "squat" looking ellipse.

There is no reason why they have to be at the same angle or even the same thickness, the only part that needs precision is the cut out needs to be exactly the same dimension as the insert bit. (I hope that makes sense, it's snoozy time in the afternoon!)

Cheers,

P
Cut should be at 45' to have the X cross design you can cut on 22.5' too on 6 sides and get a celtic design

holmsy2000
23rd December 2005, 04:07 PM
hey can anyone give me a link to this "Midges' DIY" that you guys keep mentioning.
thanks, Brett

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2005, 05:16 PM
hey can anyone give me a link to this "Midges' DIY" that you guys keep mentioning.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=16781

philf
25th December 2005, 11:47 AM
Hi All,

Very intersting work done here, midge a legend.

Just thought you might like this link for a jig.

Rgds Phil.
http://purpleheartpens.com/html/making_a_double_cross_pen_0.html

darley56
27th December 2005, 11:41 AM
Hi All,

Very intersting work done here, midge a legend.

Just thought you might like this link for a jig.

Rgds Phil.
http://purpleheartpens.com/html/making_a_double_cross_pen_0.html

Very kind and nice of you to show this jig philf, but you should mentioned that is from a site in the States, some people may thinks you created

philf
30th December 2005, 09:13 AM
Very kind and nice of you to show this jig philf, but you should mentioned that is from a site in the States, some people may thinks you created
Hi Darley56,

OK maybe fair call, but I didn't claim any credit for link as being my work :confused:
So I'm sorry if this appeared as such, back to lurking:o

Rgds Phil.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2005, 12:37 PM
I've been doing a fair bit of experimenting with the basic concept and methinks that jig's a damned good idea. Definitely room for improvement, but the basic system's better than what I've been using. Thanks for the idea!

Now all I have to do is build one with my "improvements" and see if it actually works. :D

BTW, I wouldn't worry about placing attribution... anyone exploring the site could work it out for 'emselves, unless they're expecting to be spoon-fed all info. ;)

philf
30th December 2005, 03:14 PM
I've been doing a fair bit of experimenting with the basic concept and methinks that jig's a damned good idea. Definitely room for improvement, but the basic system's better than what I've been using. Thanks for the idea!

Now all I have to do is build one with my "improvements" and see if it actually works. :D

Hi Skew ChiDAMN,

Yes I think that jig looks ok, and as you say can be made better, just posted link to give some ideas, glad it my help you :)

Rgds Phil.