PDA

View Full Version : Poly Urethane Sealant Adhesive.

ptrott
7th November 2005, 09:55 PM
I am installing Tile-Sheeting in my bathroom and am using P U Sealant.
I have tried various methods to tool (smooth) it and none seem to work well. Even a wet finger (my favourite) which works well with Silicone is useless with P U , in fact it seems to accelerate the curing time. It skins in 30 seconds or so. (not good) It is also a pain to clean up as I cant use any solvents on the tile sheeting surface.

Any suggestions from experienced users of P U would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Phill.

(forgive me if this post is a near copy of another post as this is a repeat...the first one didnt get onto the group in half an hour so I figured it got lost in cyberspace....DO DO DO DO.....DO DO DO DO....):D

maglite
8th November 2005, 01:01 AM
What happens when you run out of fingers?;)

All that silicone must tast bl**dy horrible :p

maglite
9th November 2005, 12:52 AM
I am installing Tile-Sheeting in my bathroom and am using P U Sealant.
I have tried various methods to tool (smooth) it and none seem to work well. Even a wet finger (my favourite) which works well with Silicone is useless with P U , in fact it seems to accelerate the curing time. It skins in 30 seconds or so. (not good) It is also a pain to clean up as I cant use any solvents on the tile sheeting surface.
Thanks,
Phill.

I did notice that my smart #### reply was the only one......Somebody must have a few tips or tricks which they can pass onto Phill regarding use of this stuff?

Steve

scooter
9th November 2005, 10:31 PM
What about turps, should be benign enough not to harm the sheeting (Ceramalite?), but test on an offcut to reassure yerself it's ok.

Some use an iceblock on silicon, maybe try that.

Cheers.................Sean

ptrott
11th November 2005, 12:08 AM
I will try the turps this weekend and see how it goes. I dont recon I could get an iceblock the right shape (like my finger):)

Thanks,
Phill.

PS. Maglite, that was just the sort of reply I expected from you, that is why I specifically aske for advice from EXPERIENCED USERS, not EXPERIENCED ABUSERS...:rolleyes:

maglite
11th November 2005, 01:05 AM
I will try the turps this weekend and see how it goes. I dont recon I could get an iceblock the right shape (like my finger):)

You could always stick your nose in the freezer for a while and use that instead....there isnt a lot of difference between that or the finger :p

maglite
11th November 2005, 01:08 AM
Maglite ducks for cover:D

scooter
12th November 2005, 09:39 PM

Easy, stick the iceblock in yer nose for a while... :D

Cheers...............Sean, scratchin' not pickin'

ptrott
14th November 2005, 01:23 PM
Well at least that is an idea that has some possibilty of working Scooter, that is assuming that I have reemed my nose out over the years to an exact finger shape. (Hmmm just might work)

Wouldn't work for Maglight thou, unless he made his iceblock in a 3 litre icecream tub...:p:);):D