PDA

View Full Version : Another sad note :(

joseph84
7th November 2005, 10:02 PM
Today i lost a good friend, Don Mc Cubbin.

I met Don at my local wood work club and taught me everything there is to know about woodwork. Even though he was 76 years in age and had 60 odd years experience as a carpenter he never claimed to "know it all" when it came to wood working.

Don taught me for around 6 years in wood work and joinery, always let me use his tools without hesitation. You could ask him any question at all relating to wood work and if he didn't know he would go out his way to find out and call you the next day to tell you. I'd never met such a dedicated man in my whole life to actually even worry about your question and go to the trouble to find out a solution.

I will never forget his one motto in wood working " the eyes are the greatest ways and means of learning"

I never got to say thank you and good bye to Don, I always said i will go see him tomorrow, tomorrow , tomorrow, then it was too late. I hope he can read this because i want to let him know that im very grateful for all the help, advice and guidance he has given me all these years i've known him.

May he rest in peace

Joseph :(

aabb
7th November 2005, 10:10 PM
Joseph, Sorry to hear of the passing of your firend. Rather then thinking of it as a loss ... better to say you had a great friend - time to9 reflect on the good times as you are.

Albert

Gumby
7th November 2005, 11:17 PM
I hope he had his health until the end. It's sad but it happens to us all.
Best wishes Joseph.

savage
8th November 2005, 09:54 PM
Joseph,
sorry to hear of your loss, my thoughts are with you. He will be with you always, in the shop looking over your shoulder, watching you. If you are like me in your feelings for a lost friend, (for me in the shop, it's my Dad and my mate Ray) I think what Dad would do when I'm stumped and Ray would be asking questions, (wouldn't do him any good but he'd ask all the same) and I'd answer them anyway. They are with you in your heart and mind like it or not, he will be there.
savage(Eric):)

JDarvall
8th November 2005, 10:26 PM
Keep ya head up mate.

Sounds like a bloke few and far between.

joseph84
8th November 2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the support guys :) i know he will be in my workshop when im in there looking over my shoulder, making sure im doing everything the right way. I guess its a nice thought of knowing that when a person passes away there always with you in your heart.

thanks again :)

zenwood
9th November 2005, 12:16 AM
Good for you to have had a friend and mentor like that. I'm sure he enjoyed the thought of you carrying his knowledge into the future.