PDA

View Full Version : Festool Dust Extractors - CT vs CTM difference

Jamo
8th November 2005, 12:05 AM
Has anyone used any of the CTM series of Festool dust extractors?

I'm thinking of purchasing one of the Festool dust extractors; probably the CT 33 E.

I'm interested to know whether the additional $500 or so extra expense for the CTM 33 E would be worthwhile, especially when the intended use is solely woodworking.

Although the CTM series is certified for hazardous dusts (including wood dust), the published specs of the CT and CTM models of equivalent capacity are otherwise identical.

Also, now that the regular CT series include a HEPA filter, won't there now be even less of a difference between the CT and CTM series?

Guy
8th November 2005, 01:33 AM
I dont know the difference betwen the the CT & CTM, however ive got the CT22 and have found it very good unit. When doing lots of routiing i hook up the triton bucket to the unit.
I am about to buy the 50mm hose for the unit, but they know how to charge for them.

shayrebel
8th November 2005, 09:50 AM
looked into the two versions a number of years ago and finally settled on the ct22,have never looked back,with the upgrades theres isn't much difference in the models now,save your money for other festool purchases(isn't a summer catalogue due soon???)

ian
11th November 2005, 11:55 PM
I'm a few days after the others. When I bought my Festo extractor about 10 years ago, the major difference was the more expensive units were rated for asbestos while the others were not. I think the same applies today.

ian

danv
23rd November 2005, 06:47 PM
welcome from the opposite side of the world.

I have had the same problem with shop vacuums about 2 years ago. On the one hand I wanted to buy a vacuum with class M certification, on the other the price of these seemed to me to high. After my long research I recognized the both have the same filter, filter bag and the only difference between these vacuums is only "flow monitoring of the minimum air speed of 20 m/sec for safe working in accordance with regulations". This confirmed me my Festool dealer too.

Woodworking is my hobby, I'm working in my small basement workshop and I have no problem to change the filter bags when I feel the suction power is little bit weaker. I still spare my money and in more cases my shop vacuum works like M certificated..

Please excuse my english.

Regards
Dan

Auld Bassoon
23rd November 2005, 06:51 PM
Welcome Danv!

Hope you enjoy this mad house! - and your English is just fine; better, in fact, than many here:eek:

What sort of things do you make - share some photos with us, please?

Cheers!

Termite
23rd November 2005, 06:59 PM
Hi danv, hope you enjoy Aussie humour. Your English is a lot better than my Czech. :D

Stompa
22nd January 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm about to purchase my first woodworking piece of equipment and I was told to buy a dust extractor.

Have been looking around at the 2 - 3 hp units and on Friday found my way to the local Festool dealer and he was showing me the pros of the CT 33. He claims, as he would, that any woodworking machine, with adaptars, can be connected to the Festool.

Does anyone have an opinion or experience about a Festool CT 33 vacuum to be used in all aspects of dust extraction or would a bag extractor still be necessary for the tablesaw/router/bandsaw.

I tried to work it out and by the time you buy a reasonable DC and then all the the pipework, then the gates, then there is the noise and footprint. I may as well buy a more mobile unit like the Festool vac.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance

Greg Q
22nd January 2006, 09:34 PM
Well, there is no one answer, as I see it. I have the CT-22, and use it for the traditional Festool applications. The bags for these things are approx $15.00 each-so you'd want some kind of inline bin to collect the bulk of the dust before it got to the bag. They really are good; I don't need a dust mask for sanding or routing anymore.

For stationary power tools, a larger extractor is required. The airflow needs to be more volume at less pressure, so a different kind of blower and large duct is required. It gets thornier: The bag type 'dust colectors' are really 'chip collectors'. The really harmful dust goes right through the bags and back into your breathing air.

Serious dust collection requires the purchase of a cyclone/micron rated filter or making one yourself. Or, purchase a European dust system from Felder.

If you have an hour or two Google up Bill Pentz's site on dust collection. He's the guru.

Greg

craigb
22nd January 2006, 09:34 PM
Basically you need both.

You need a high air volume extractor for machines that produce a lot of chips such as thicknessers, jointers and table saws.

You need a high suction (eg a Festool mobile) for hand held machines like routers and sanders.

Which one you get first will depend on which machine you are going to buy first.

If it's a router or sander or SCMS then buy a high vacuum extractor.

Otherwise, go for something like a 2hp 2 bag dust extractor, preferably with a micro filter.

Also, Festool are the Rolls Royce of dust extractors but you've probably realised that already. :p