PDA

View Full Version : hello new user

AL Wood
8th April 2020, 04:06 PM
Hi, my name is not Al Wood but Luke.

I live in Melbourne, i make sculptures and paintings.

I'm looking forward to trawling the site.

I hope i'm not doing the wrong thing here if i jump straight into my question.

It would be great to get an opinion on getting a strong glue for aluminium to mdf. I am aiming to bond 25mm x 30mm wide backing mdf frame parts to 3mm al sheets - a size of one of these al sheets is ø 90cm, the others slightly larger - hopefully the attachments work and you can see what i'm doing.

I have read up on cleanliness being important for the bond etc.
I have seen suggestions like two araldite 2 part epoxy or 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200, but i'm not quite sure.
I will be screwing these panels together also, but i want to glue/clamp components first.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Best,
Luke

crowie
8th April 2020, 09:20 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum.
There are quite a stack members around Melbourne and cross Victoria plus the rest of the country.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum......
Enjoy your woodwork......
Cheers crowie

PS - May I suggest that you start a new thread in General about the glue to gain a wider audience and thus more answers....

Keep an eye out for local get togethers in Melbourne, great way to met forum folk!

KeithP
8th April 2020, 10:19 PM
Welcome to the forum.
My thought for gluing different materials is epoxy.

Regards
Keith

homey
8th April 2020, 11:24 PM
Hi Luke,

I’d probably use 2 part epoxy too. Personally I’d use West System epoxy with some West 413 filler fibres mixed in to give it a bit more body and help fill any gaps.

A simpler alternative might be Titebond Polyurethane Glue which you use straight out of the plastic bottle. The TB blurb says:

Titebond Polyurethane Glue is a breakthrough in adhesive technology. It is the only polyurethane glue to combine a long 30-minute working time with a short 45-minute clamp time*. It is a versatile, professional-strength glue specifically formulated for multi-purpose applications. In addition to its superior wood-to-wood performance, Titebond Polyurethane Glue is ideal for metals, ceramics, most plastics, HPL, Corian®, stone and other porous/non-porous materials. It is ready-to-use, offers excellent sandability and is unaffected by finishes.
Browsing the adhesive section at Bunnings could also be useful. Sikkens make some excellent adhesives.

Good luck with the project,

Brian

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th April 2020, 01:49 PM
Welcome to our nuthouse! :)

When it comes to gluing varied materials like those, I've found it's best to look at building supplies rather than woodwork supplies. Especially when gluing glass or metal to wood... or each other.

Personally I'd avoid epoxy, as although it has good glue strength it's not elastic enough to cater for the different expansion rates when temperatures vary. Eventually it'll shear.

I'd be looking at something like Sikaflex 552.

AL Wood
9th April 2020, 01:56 PM
thanks crowie, I started that new thread good idea, cheers.

AL Wood
9th April 2020, 01:58 PM
that's interesting advice, thank you

AL Wood
9th April 2020, 01:58 PM
thanks for the reply and advice Brian,
Luke

old1955
9th April 2020, 04:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Luke.

JJF
11th April 2020, 08:19 AM