PDA

View Full Version : Timbecon

Bodgy
8th November 2005, 03:50 PM
As I promised in another thread, I would call up Timbecon and try and find out why their service has become so woeful.

This I did. I had intended to talk to the guy that runs it, but whilst I was discussing problems with orders (surely not!) I took the opportunity to ask my interlocutor why Timbecon was so buggered.

Before I report the response, I should say that Timbecon seem to have a great range of product, best pricing and their guys are extremely helpful and knowledgeable - even under great stress. The problems I have found, on all my orders over the last six months (bar one) are:

1. Constantly out of stock, no idea when stocks arriving, can't simply check their inventory.
2. Woefull or non existent communications. The order just sits there 'pending', they never let you know what's happening for months.
3. They are often let down by their courier company.
4. Their IT systems are inadequate, as is their Web site. The system should give stock levels on demand and a Web customer should be advised of the inventory status on or before order. The Web site advises an email will be sent upon despatch - never happens.

Anyway, after a long conversation with one of the guys, it seems that their biggest operational problem is being short staffed. I was told that they lost 2 full timers and 3 part timers in a single week. It seems that little effort is being made to replace these staff.

No staff - no communication. This is probably the most annoying aspect of dealing with them and (I'd expect) a PR disaster for them.

I think one has to conclude that poor management is the culprit, as is usually the case.

I'm afraid I may never know as my patience is exhausted and I'll not return. It is a great shame as it lessens the competition and choice.

Wouldn't it be great to hear the Timbecon's management's thoughts.

Chesand
8th November 2005, 04:13 PM
Bodgy
After my experience with them last year I would agree with you
Any business is only as good as the management.

Kev Y.
8th November 2005, 04:22 PM
I am afraid I have to come to the defense of Timbecon.

After the debarcle with "they-who-will-not-be-named" or better know as XXXX-XXX, I took up the offer made by timbecon and purchased a tablesaw, with sliding extension, and a drum sander. Timbecon staff were extremely helpful, thankyou judy, and the machinery got to me at the time timbecon said it would.

I acknowledge that everyone will have a different experience with the same supplier, but I feel I have to add my $0.02 worth

TrevorOwen
8th November 2005, 09:40 PM
In any debate there needs to be balance. I recently ordered an item from Timbercon to be sent to my son in Gippsland and at the same time ordered a similar item from a company in Melbourne to be also sent to Gippsland.
They both arrived about 4-5 days after order, one by courier and the other by Australia Post.
I was satisfied by the service of both companies. I was aware of previous posts that were critical of Timbercon service, however I am one customer who is happy.

Regards from Adelaide
Trevor

mozzie26
9th November 2005, 12:38 AM
I have never had any problem with Timbecon in the past(last order was over 1 year ago). But I rang them up 2 days ago to buy a Bandsaw (BAS-350). They had two left in stock. I live in Karratha 1600kms away and wanted to pick it up in 1.5 weeks time. The salesman said that he was not sure if he could store it there for 1.5 weeks and to ring back after 1 hour after he had talked to the manager. In the mean time I rang Carba-tec to find out how many BAS-350's they had in stock. They had 51 in stock and also on special $34 cheaper. I know which one I am buying. They seem to be similar machines just with different stands. I also like the Carba-tec colours better(being an electrician I am sick of electrical orange!).

Glen.

Wild Dingo
9th November 2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks Bodgy :cool:

That clears that little staffing issue up and that would go a fair way to explaining RECENT problems with their service but does nothing to help anyone understand the ONGOING problems over the past year with them

Its strange that Hague hasnt jumped all over these threads since I know he has on occasions posted here... albeit when its positive and he can show his helpful side... but none the less Id like to hear his version somehow doubt he will give it as its not really a sound business practice to put your business problems on an open forum like this... and hes probably as busy as hell trying to sort it all out!

I wonder what their thinking is if theyre not going to replace so many of their staff? slowly wind down and shutup shop? try to muddle through without the staff needed to effectively run a business like that? Or sometime soon put it up for sale but it would be in the best financial interest to offer it for sale as a going concern rather than a run down concern surely? by that I simply mean run down as in too few staff to run it effectively loss of customer base or at least a portion of it meaning their accountings will be running down rather than showing a healthy profit and that to me would mean their sale price would have to reflect that downturn ergo they wont get as much for the business as its heading than if they got it arced up properly and staffed effectively along with sorting the bloody ordering, dispatch and storage problems out!

Ah well its not a place that I frequent anymore and nor will I again so its irrelevent to me personally what happens... which is a shame since I spent so bloody much money in there!! :rolleyes:

But thanks again for going to the trouble to find out Bodgy

Toggy
11th November 2005, 10:03 PM
I have been critical of poor communications etc from them on a previous occassion; but recently posted an order through this time (only supplier with one part I needed). Received order 10 days later but missing an end vice screw. Rang them and they airfreighted the part out that day; freight free.

Happy enough this time.

Ken

maglite
12th November 2005, 02:44 AM
Keep in mind guys that it may not be a matter of keeping existing staff but also a matter of FINDING suitably qualified staff.

As most of you are aware the west is in boom times at the moment....pretty hard to keep staff when they see labourers on the trainline earning 90K a year.

I dont know much about the history of the company with regard to orders etc as havent dealt with them...but it is real hard trying to retain staff in WA at the moment...let alone those with knowledge.

Just my 20 cents worth.
Steve

Wild Dingo
13th November 2005, 02:28 PM
Laborers on the trainline earning $90,000? bullbludyshyte!... ahem sorry Steve not meaning your lying but that is way over the top not that I hadnt heard it before I had and I responded the same way then... somehow I think its an urban myth... its pure bullshyte pumped up by the media in some sort of political snaffoo...I think to explain the blowout of the cost of that trainline by the opposition who dont want it to happen... Laborers would be getting 50 perhaps 60000 at the top dollar and thats with overtime and loadings

Geeeeeeeeeezz mate If true where do I apply?? At that rate Id stop going away to work for a half decent wage.

Truck drivers with experience get 15 - $16 an hour here in Bunbury on 8 hours a day 5 days a week and maybe 4 hours overtime on Saturday... (and this explains why Wagerup and other mines are so bloody hard to get a job at) employers offer bullshyte rates and wages and that is why a swag of fellas are tryin like buggary to get out on the mines where they can earn 25 - 30 per hour 12 hours per day 14 days straight... employers down here dont want to pay a realistic wage... but they still expect a person to work like a hell for buggar all and be loyal at the same time while they will drop you as an employee at the drop of a hat... $15 per hour? take out tax and tell me who can survive on that rate? with a mortguage kids life etc? and so a good part of why some people work up 2 jobs and mass up so much debt credit cards finance etc...

I know this because Ive been looking for alternative work to the flyin flyout mine work for some months now... and been offered $14, $15, and finally $16 per hour nothing more so tell me why I would throw away a job paying $25per hour? Id love nothing more than to stop going away from the missus and kids bloody oath I would and would do so at the drop of a hat... If I could find an employer willing to pay a realistic wage!! Hell someone pay me what Im worth and I will be the most loyal worker they ever had but pay me buggar all and I work slow

But please give me a break a laborer earning 90,000 per year in Perth? media hype mate in the real world where we live it isnt going to happen

Okay I think I will take this and make another thread

Cheers

Oh as for Timbecon... my guess is and its only a guess... is that staff having to field customer complaints and bad ordering methods along with poor pay (this is an assumption Ive got no idea how much they earn) would make the staff look further afield... I mean think about it who wants to have to answer a phone to what will be a complaint a queery regarding missing parts parts not being what were ordered customers who have been waiting for an item for months and still not arrived etc... every day? very few would put up with it for long.

Bodgy
13th November 2005, 09:53 PM
You may have it there, Shane. Nobody, on low wages (that's surmising) is going to take calls from angry, disappointed customers all day. Particularly young guys who are more impressionable than old crusties, and if the West is booming, have alternative options. Ergo - no staff.

It really a bit chicken and egg. What comes first, irate customers or poor staff levels? What begets what?

Once again the circle comes round to the management.

It's generally accepted in business that there is as much peril in poorly managed growth as in contraction.

Harry72
14th November 2005, 12:44 AM
WD you will find some do earn big pay for labour type work... its just what you have to put up with to get it.

Most factory/mining/building industrys do pay their labours a reasonable wage around $45-50K, Im pulling over $53K now no OT!
I wouldnt want to work for less than that, unless it was working for myself.(which may happen...)

Dean
14th November 2005, 06:32 PM
90k for labor work.... you better believe it... my old man (now in his 60's) is earning equivalent of 90k working on projects up in and around Darwin. He was driving a cement truck for 9 months on the LPG project up there getting 2k per week and now is insulating pipes (with 2 week training course) and getting about the same $$. There is some big money on those projects that nobody else wants!

Wild Dingo
15th November 2005, 11:41 AM
90k for labor work.... you better believe it... my old man (now in his 60's) is earning equivalent of 90k working on projects up in and around Darwin. He was driving a cement truck for 9 months on the LPG project up there getting 2k per week and now is insulating pipes (with 2 week training course) and getting about the same $$. There is some big money on those projects that nobody else wants!

Yes Dean I believe it... IN DARWIN! and on the GAS PIPLINE! YES!! But in Perth? Highly doubt it!

I was earning that sort of money UP IN THE TERRITORY back in the late 70s at Nabarlek Uranium Mine and Im earning that now in the MINES out in the goldfields... but theres just no way in hell that sort of money would be spent on a laborer in PERTH!!

AHEM... rant mode switch flicked to "ON"

Its not a matter that no one else wants the jobs its that the bloody project managers give the positions to employment agencies who place too high qualifications and experience levels to the most menial positions!... Yes they want the best so they can get to please the employer and therefor get the return work... but then did the employer ask for it? NO they want a bloody driver or someone that wants to work! And as much as some people like to delude themselves that people dont want these jobs if given half a bloody chance to gain the "necessary" experience that the agency demands they would be filled in a nano second!

Try gettin a start on a mine as a dump truck driver from Perth or Adelaide or even Brissy without any experience driving a SPECIFIC TYPE OF DUMP TRUCK... believe me it will matter very little if youve been drivin other trucks all your life!! If an agency has the job you wont get a bloody look in REGARDLESS!... The jobs like your talking about are out there but you have to know someone who knows someone who can get you a start... otherwise have a mountain of SPECIFIC experience or your deluding yourself!

lets take that dump truck example and evolve it shall we for the sake of argument... agencies advertise for dump truck operators so you think oh right Ive operated dump trucks as youve been drivin 6 wheel dump trucks for the local building contractor for years... but when you ring they say "do you have 773 experience" "um no but hell Im keen to learn and been driving trucks for years" Do you know what their answer will be? "Sorry but the employer wants experienced 773 operators" end of discussion your name wont even be considered! BUT!! hang on if you go out to the mine and get to see the bloke in charge he will tell you that HE JUST WANTS A DRIVER! to move the ore!! and you will 9 times out of 10 get the job as you can be trained to operate one!...

So yes I agree the big money jobs are there but theyre not that easy to obtain!... then theres the location the distance do they do flyin flyout or do you have to relocate your family 1000s of miles away... yes excuses all but valid ones none the less... cant want the job if theyre not prepared to move for it? bullbloodyshyte! you got a morgage? a family friends social life are your parent well sick in hospital your elder kids getting married havin their first kids do you or your missus want to move away when thats happening? so many variables go with the decision to take up a job like you and I discuss

I work away from home 2 weeks on 1 week off to earn an income that will allow me to retire early... I sacrifice 2 weeks of family life for money to drive down a bloody hole in the earth every day so in a few years I can spend every day with my family... How do I know all the above? Ive been tryin to change over to surface mining for near on 6 months now and do you think I can do it? NOT A BLOODY CHANCE!! Why when I have all the necessary documents medicals tickets and worked on mines for over a year now why do you think Im having some probs changing over? ONE REASON! I drive UNDERGROUND dump trucks these are NOT the 773s or bigger ones so I dont have a snow balls show in hell of getting a start!... And as a final note with this the majority of mining companies if they dont have their own HR section (and often even if they do) go through employment agencies... so even with my experience tickets etc I dont have a show why? cause to the agency people Ive not got the SPECIFIC experience needed to do the job!... oh and before its said... an underground dump truck is more difficult to operate than a 773! Ive operateed a 773 for a weeks relieving and compared to the articulated Toro its a walk in the park... but try telling that to some dimwit thats never seen a minesite let alone worked on one at an agency! :mad: but then IF I lived in Kal or Newman I have little doubt If I walked into the mine office I would get a job operating one of these rigs why? Cause they want a bloody driver!! But I dont live there so I am essentially like others at the bloody mercy of these stupid pathetic gits at the agencies! :mad: Its how I got the start in the first place! I left Perth on spec and went to Kal and spent over 3 months looking for work found odd jobs so I could afford the tickets and medicals to even be considered by these agencies then I didnt have any SPECIFIC experience AND there were NO trainee positions to be had... so how did I get a start? Through my daughters boss's husband! Who knew a bloke who was the mine manager at a mine near Norseman who needed a driver and was sick of waiting for agencies to send them to him and he was prepared to send me down the hole and see if I could handle it... if I could he needed a driver and I could have the job if not tough shyte no job... that is how it works!... the bloody agencies wouldnt even consider someone without RELEVENT SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE no matter what the bloody mine manager wanted! To them it didnt matter a shyte that I had changed careers been a trainer had experience driving machinery or that I WANTED TO WORK and was prepared to do any form of training AT MY COST that didnt matter! What mattered was the single bloody minded attitude of SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE or no lookin {do you get the idea that I loathe agencies? :rolleyes:}

Jobs that pay $90,000 per year for a bloody laborer ARE NOT available in PERTH simple fact! And if there was you can bet your ass that they would go to someones lad someones mate or their lad someones nephew but NOT offered to just anyone!... If you or I were to walk down there ready for work I guarantee you and I would NOT get a start no matter our experience!!

In regard to those types of jobs its not WHAT you know its WHO you know... So if you or I KNOW someone a foreman whatever on that job and we wanted work we could get a job thats going if we dont FORGET IT!!... Way of the world my friend way of the world

RANT MODE button switched to "OFF"

Oh.. good on your old man mate!! When I was at Nabarlek there was an old fella working there who was probably around 60 or so that could and did run rings around us young blokes! :cool:

Cheers

Wild Dingo
15th November 2005, 12:22 PM
Strewth did this thread take of on a tangent of its own!! :eek:

yes indeed as my kids would say when I do this sort of thing "my bad" :( ... ahem when THEY do this sort of thing that is :rolleyes:

Andy Mac
15th November 2005, 12:43 PM
Hi Wild Dingo,
Not wanting to dilute your rant any...its a doozy!:D....but regarding trucks underground, didn't the Cassidy Shaft run Cat 769's (and Kirunas and Toros) underground in the 80's... surely a 733 isn't that much bigger!? I'll agree though, articulated dumpers like Eimco's & Toros can be tricky buggers.
As for the original thread, Timbercon, I've never dealt with them over here, but they've copped some bad press on this Forum:( You'd think they'd respond somehow.

Cheers

silentC
15th November 2005, 12:56 PM
You'd think they'd respond somehow
It wouldn't be a very wise business practice to get involved in an online debate about the quality or otherwise of your business, so I'm not surprised they don't. There was a little experimental venture into the forums by Timbecon a while back but it resulted in some red faces and, I would imagine, at least one sore backside ;)

Wild Dingo
15th November 2005, 03:48 PM
Gotta agree ol silent one... wouldnt be a good bit of PR getting into what could easily become a heated discussion about your business... to late for that

Andy your right and theres presently a mob that have designed and use semis underground cant remember off hand who it is or even where but it is in Aussie somewhere... however the point it the specific truck is what the agency people get stuck on so in their minds if you havent got experience (and not just a week or a month or even a couple of months) driving that specific truck they simply wont put you forward REGARDLESS if the truck you do have experience on is more difficult or in someway different to operate nor the length of experience you have with it... to them you dont qualify because you havent the experience on that PARTICULAR SPECIFIC truck ergo not able to operate it learn to operate it or be trained to operate it end of story!

When I went out to the mine and got my start within a week I knew how to operate it had conquored its madness idiocincrasys and knew the rigs and their particular foibles comfortably... and within 2 months I was training new drivers! ...the only spot of problems I had was getting lost down there!!! :p But for the truck easy as same for the surface opposite Cat 40T lizard easy as... same for the relieving work on the 773 within a day I was comfortable by the end of the week it was easy... Ive always been a natural with machinery never had any problems operating whatever machinery I was asked to operate... but that doesnt count for a zit on a babys bum with these agency mobs!

No worries onward and upwards!! :cool:

shaunburgess
15th November 2005, 09:21 PM
from someone who runs a business, i would love to have a forum such as this to discuss problems my customers are having with service etc.. It all comes down to what you want to provide to your customers. If i was bagged on this forum where a majority of my customers or potential customers reside i would be man enough to get on here an apologise and then look at fixing the problem, what's the use of spending $000's on advertising if you have a bad reputation to start with, why not fix the problem, appologise and then try to get it right....how much trouble does LV have on this forum and he does reply to quite a few threads, simply put he will do anything to protect his companies reputation because he knows this forum is very cheap advertising when you do something right so he ensures his company continue to look after the people on the bb

Bodgy
15th November 2005, 09:57 PM
from someone who runs a business, i would love to have a forum such as this to discuss problems my customers are having with service etc.. It all comes down to what you want to provide to your customers. If i was bagged on this forum where a majority of my customers or potential customers reside i would be man enough to get on here an apologise and then look at fixing the problem, what's the use of spending $000's on advertising if you have a bad reputation to start with, why not fix the problem, appologise and then try to get it right....how much trouble does LV have on this forum and he does reply to quite a few threads, simply put he will do anything to protect his companies reputation because he knows this forum is very cheap advertising when you do something right so he ensures his company continue to look after the people on the bb

Exactly, not hard is it?

Wild Dingo
16th November 2005, 01:38 AM
I think I agree... or would have... if they had have come on board to resolve the many problems when it first arced up but they didnt.. they could have come onboard over the last 6 months at any time and it quite possibly could have been sorted without too much stress... for whatever reason they chose not to... now I think its pretty much a case of too late for many of us the damage is done

I wish them well... but have no intention of ever having anything to do with them again... just not worth the trouble in my view

Oh it should be noted that when a problem was initially discussed some months back Hague himself responded quite quickly... so its pretty much a given that he watches the board... as many in the industry do just makes sence to do so reasons as has been stated above

Shame really but no worries their competition now gains a customer

rodm
16th November 2005, 03:49 AM
I think as Silent says they are not wise to enter the lions den and by saying they should front up on this board you are assuming they have the capacity or want to fix the problem.

In the short term I don't think their problems with under staffing will disappear. It might even be intentional to keep staff levels low to be competitive. You loose a couple of sales but low prices will also attract new buyers. Perhaps they work on a 80/20 ratio and let's face it they have been around for a while.

I visit the store only occassionally but every time I go there the sales staff are full on trying to answer phones, serve customers and give advice. I was offered a job there but I don't think they could afford my going rate. :D

I buy the majority of my tools and machinery from their major competitor over here but all the same I would hate to see Timbecon go down the gurgler.
They carry a different range of products and it is good to have the choice but I wish they would change the colour of their machinery. :D

I don't agree with it, but I think we have to get used to this style of service if we want to pay the lower prices. I hope this doesn't sound like a rant as I am just trying to centre the opinions.

Wild Dingo
16th November 2005, 04:03 AM
Agree totally Rod... wouldnt like to see them go down the gurgler either they do fill a neche (sucker buyers??:eek: If Im not joking with that Id have to be one of their biggest sucker buyers! :D ) but time will tell

That bloody fluro orange is gonna kill me when its all in the shed!! I wont need lights I can tell you!! :eek: Thank god I got one nice blue bit of metal to put in there trouble is its got an ORANGE Triton router attached... sigh so I cant have a bloody win!! :p

Cheers

rodm
16th November 2005, 04:18 AM
Shane
I don't know if I should admit to this but I recently got a Morticer from Timbecon and stripped it down and repainted it blue. I have worried about this being some sort of disorder so I have been taking extra medication (Jack lives here). :D

Wild Dingo
16th November 2005, 12:20 PM
Ive contemplated doing the same or even a totally different color altogether but worried meslef senseless with the bloody big polar bear and that pair of norks the cat shows that the missus took all me paint away :( lucky for me she didnt know Jack was comin to live and so tis a good potential that they will change color ;) ... uh oh I think we might leave this one!! before it becomes a shed fashion thread!! :eek:

I shall continue to give a polite and gentle warning to those contemplating buying from them to at least consider looking around paying a tad more etc... just a warning to the potential customer... if they still go ahead and buy from them well so be it... at least they will have been warned

Hindsight is a real peice of work isnt it? I mean in hindsight I should have recalled the trouble I had over the first peices of machinery I got from them... only minor probs but a forewarning... then with the first big buy I should have realised something was wrong when they stuffed the Incra around and didnt have stock of some of the other things... but I didnt being a loyal customer (read sucker buyer) I continued... and we know where it ended up

I actually now recall others here saying a gentle warning without saying it "Shane mate try Hare and Forbes try Carbetec try PTMS etc" but I stuck with them... never mind as I say a warning perhaps a link to a couple of threads and let them decide... nothing over the top just a warning.

Cheers

Clinton1
16th November 2005, 01:02 PM
Enough with the hijack and all the talk about Timbecon...

Lets just stick to Wild Dingo's rants.

Much more entertaining.

If only I knew the man I think I'd set him up with an innappropriate comment about something he cares about just to see him flick on the RANT button.

GO Shane, go... RANT, RANT, RANT...

Wild Dingo
16th November 2005, 02:18 PM
Me rant? :eek: oh come on Clinton!! I rarely rant! :rolleyes:

Im sure if we ever meet I could come up with a suitable rant to explain my joy and utter exitement at meeting you!!! :D Im just that sorta fella! ;) :cool:

But rant?? nah Im just a wee bit of the excitable sort of charector :cool: And anyways whats wrong with a rant now and again eh? I mean if something gets fair and square up your nose why not blow it out??!! gawd strewth mate nothin like it... and its the Aussie way!!... nothing aint nothin thats too sacred for a half decent rant!! :D Timbecon Retail sector poor management bullshyte wages statements boats and their sellers who wont sent the bloody things over west... oh right that one hasnt been done yet :o ... but its comin!!:p ... whatever!! Gotta have an occasional rant or two just to clean the nasal passages :cool:

Go on mate have a go... breathe deep... build it up... come on you can do bedda than that REALLY feel the passion the anger the angst now deep breath.. NOW!!! Pour it out give it yer all just blast the living shyte outta whatevers climbed up your nose!! :eek: Easy as and I tell yer what you will feel bedda... mmmm till some wally comes and quietly refutes everything you say :rolleyes: But see for a good ranter thats an opening thats irristible to resist and so breath deep again close yer eyes look the buggar square in the eyes and let em have it!!! both barrels at close range!... oooooooooohhh its soooo good!

But see I will step outside the WUBBRC (thats the very exclusive World United Boom Boom Ranters charter) guidelines here... knowin that if found out I will be seriously keel hauled and burnt but not bein a hardnosed world ranters (hey theyre mostly Yanks anyways :rolleyes: ) I will take a punt and give you a few clues to excellent ranters as in the ranters charter... clue number 1... The trick that some ooutside of the WUBBRC cant seem to grasp is that to do a genuinely good rant one must keep it NON personal... attack the subject matter not the person... and clue number 2... ALWAYS keep it FRIENDLY..

aaahhh the ways of good ranting are known but to a select few young fella an we can only give ye occasional clues an hints to our methods and madness that evolves with a genuine good rant :cool:

RufflyRustic
16th November 2005, 02:20 PM
Terrrible, but I agree with you Clinton1 and I agree because Shane keeps 'em clean and interesting and approrpriately hijacks himself as well. Should have a book of The Wild Dingo Calls again or something similar:)

Love your posts Shane!

cheers
RufflyRustic

Wild Dingo
16th November 2005, 02:29 PM
:o :o :o ohhh go on wif yer :o :o yer embarrassin me girl :o AND yer bedda not let on to the other arf that yer sayin such sweet nuthins to a fella over west or he'll not buy you that scrollysaw thing you want sooooooooooo badly :p aaahhh its such a wonderous thing!!

I hyjack meself??? :eek: WOW!! Im that good I hyjack meself and dont know it?? WHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOO Im in standin for RHMERC (thats the prestegious Right Honerable Major Excellent Rant Chancellor to you non members :rolleyes: ) ahhh tis truely a fantabulouslyflaminwicked day!! :D :cool:

Cheers!!! :cool:

Auld Bassoon
16th November 2005, 07:57 PM
Terrrible, but I agree with you Clinton1 and I agree because Shane keeps 'em clean and interesting and approrpriately hijacks himself as well. Should have a book of The Wild Dingo Calls again or something similar:)

Love your posts Shane!

cheers
RufflyRustic

LoL@ RR:D :D :D - and Shane :D :D :D

Cheers - and thanks for the good humour!

Captain Chaos
16th November 2005, 11:14 PM
G'day Shane,
Just a short ( ? ) reply to your hijack of your own thread in regards to employment agencies. A couple of years ago I applied for a position as a diesel engine fitter at a remote power station in W.A through one of the big hotshot employment agencies in Perth. They were looking for people with Cat experience to work on the big Cat 3612 gas engines & Cat 3616 diesel engines. I've worked on many models of Cat engine right up to the 3512 & 3516's & had a lot of relevant info ( & still do ) for the 3600's. I stated that I was studying up on these engines & was quite capable of carrying out the required repairs / maintenance as necessary. Didn't even get a reply from them as to whether I was suitable or not!!:mad: Phoned the agency to query their response ( or lack of ). I was told that the person handling that particular job would return my call to let me know if my application had been received and was being considered or not. I never heard from him at all. Oh well.:confused: Basically, I've gotta agree with what you've said mate. I don't even bother to try for these jobs any more + I've moved away from the trade to a very large degree.
Take good care,
Barry.
P.S No bitter feelings about it, just another chapter in my book of life.:)

Wild Dingo
17th November 2005, 01:32 AM
Gidday Barry
Mate theyre a pain in the friggin ass! :mad: But as Im wont to say a mere hump in the journey of life is all :cool: bigger humps on the journey thats for sure... but theyre a bloody annoying hump and its getting so if you want to get on a friggin mine nowadays youve got no choice but to go through the buggars! :rolleyes:

Actually today was a bloody ripper as far as work goes! true stunner! had one job offered the other day out of the blue local construction mob rang saying they needed a truck driver out at one of the local mines so I went for the medical yesty just happy to have a job on offer... and on the way there got a call from a bloke on a mine in Mt Magnet reckoned he had a job up there and would call back today... then today I get a call from him sayin the jobs mine if I want it only a week for now but they actually need a 773 operator so theres a good chance of grabbing the slot if Im there... so at that point I had 2 jobs on offer :cool:

Then after I told him Id call him back once Id spoken to the other mob at lunch time... not wanting to leave either in the lurch sort of thing... I had another call from a sheila I worked with at the Nickel mine in Norseman who now works out at KCGM in Kal at the superpit seems she had put my name forward to her boss who rang tonight... and its a goer!... All goes well I will fly out in a weeks time to start the shift with the crew Id be working with at the superpit... THEN this arvo I got a call from a mate of my son in law to be {down the track sometime :rolleyes: } who has a mate on a mine at Southern Cross who needs a 773 operator URGENTLY and is prepared to train... shyte Im bloody flooded with work!!!

AND Im still waiting to hear if Ive got a start at that mine in Cobar NSW

Good news is every time a new job pops up its more bloody money!! :D :cool: Missus reckons if I hold out for another 2 days I'll get offered $100 per hour!!! :D YEAH RIGHT!!! :D

So at this point I fly out to Mt Magnet tomorrow arvo... will hear back from the mate and sheilas boss out at Kal in the morning before I leave with the time and day of the flight to Kal and I should hear back from the one in Cobar by Monday!! Dont yer love it!! :cool: Feast or famine!! :eek:

From what Ive gotten from them today they were waiting to hear what I was doing and giving us time to recover from the flood before offering! good people :cool:

AND!!! Not bloody one is from an agency!! WHAAAAAAAAAAHOOOO!! :D Average hourly rate with an agency is $22-23 per hour average with the company direct $30-35 per hour... same mines same hours same shift!! I think I owe a few beers around the state!! ;)

Cheers! :cool:

anthonyd
17th November 2005, 09:08 AM
I've moved away from the trade to a very large degree.

I thought they were all the same size? Which one is larger?? I'd guess judging by the people who do them it must be the MBA:D

RufflyRustic
17th November 2005, 11:18 AM
Congrats and Cheers Shane!! http://www.ubeaut.biz/beersmiley.gif

RR

Auld Bassoon
17th November 2005, 06:50 PM
Good on you Shane!

Make some hay, eh?

Cheers!

Captain Chaos
17th November 2005, 06:52 PM
G'day Shane,
Well done!:D Ain't it a great feeling to know that you are in demand within your chosen field of endeavor. It is what we all strive for & when the recognition comes, WAAAAHOOOO, YOU LITTLE RIPPER!!:D:D
I'll catch up with you for a celebratory scotch or three when I'm over that way.:);)
To Anthonyd, Yeah, it was a degree in Bulling The Sheet but there was a bloke on another thread that got moved t' other night ( into ye olde Orange Room, I believe ) that beat everyone hands down! :rolleyes: My degree wasn't worth the weeties packet that it was printed on eh?
Take good care,
Barry.

Hague Gobby
18th November 2005, 02:16 PM
We actually lost 3 full-timers and 1 part-timer (to be correct) - 1 full-timer was stealing from us (would you keep him?) and two others were offered management positions in other companies - and they wanted to continue their career. The labour market has changed dramatically - baby boomers are retiring and generation X & Y do not have loyalty to a company in the same way BB's do as they only know prosperity and not hard times, therefore are more willing to take risks in their careers than what has previously happened. I wish the two (non-stealing) full-timers all the best because i can understand people wanting to move to a place where they are effectively being promoted - something we can't offer at the moment - otherwise we would have too many chiefs and not enough indians. The part-timer left due to a customer ripping into him because the customer had made a mistake ordering the wrong item and was blaming us - not a common occurrence but its not unheard of either.

This has placed immense stress on our staff as you can probably imagine. Compounded on top of this is doing the shows in the eastern states. We do a lot more at wood shows than just about anybody else (with demo's, product range we display etc.) in every major show in Australia - an absolute logistical nightmare for us, but something people appreciate - and tell us regularly.

Oh and on top of this (and no it ain't a holiday - go for yourself to find out!) we spend a lot of time and effort bringing products to market that are well-priced and suit most woodworker's requirements in Australia. Unfortunately these don't fall out of the sky so i've had to visit new and existing suppliers to a) solve issues and b) improve the range we deliver and make it a more unique experience for consumers. This sometimes has to coincide with trade fairs so my being away a lot over the past couple of months is bad timing but its a simple fact of life. Things have already settled down a lot since i've been back for a couple of weeks.

Just so whoever's listening knows, we are making a lot of changes to the structure of Timbecon - such as completely re-racking our warehouse and re-fitting out our shop in the first half of next year, as well as investigating and implementing new computer systems that will allow us to improve service through our website and mail order system by giving us more information than the system we currently have.

In our spare time, we have been looking for new staff, and found one full-timer, converted two part-timers into full-timers and are currently searching for another two full-timers to get our staff levels back up to scratch for the busy period next year. I believe its better to employ people that will actually do their job properly than employ people that are sub-standard "just to have them here". Its a false economy in short and long term. If you're an employer you will know it is hard to find people, think about it, we have very low unemployment rates and growing demand for jobs in WA - much higher than the rest of Australia. If this wouldn't make it difficult to find someone new i don't know what would.

Everyone's an expert on this forum and i know there'll be plenty of people looking through this post and picking out the things they can poke fun at us for being bad, having poor service, indifferent and admitting it, but i'm going to close on this final half page essay...

It is bloody hard to run a business - anyone that does it has to have balls of steel because most of the time their house (and everything else they usually own) is on the line and all of their time and effort goes into it and if the business fails then usually so does their whole life. Owners and top-level managers lie in bed at night losing sleep about all the things that are right and wrong in a business and they work their asses off so consumers get what they are looking for and we also provide our staff with stable jobs and an income. We pay our staff for the work they do and ensure that it is fair based on their experience and commitment to the business. We wouldn't pay people exhorbitantly high rates off the street because we don't know how they perform initially, but do reward good performance. Its great for people who nothing about the inner workings of our business slag us for something they know nothing about (i.e. what we actually pay our staff) - but still, joys of the internet i guess.

I understand that you will poke at this post saying you've thrown your hard-earned money down and haven't got good service for it - and i understand that, but anyone who reads this needs to understand that this keeps me awake at night and stops me from having a life outside of work and i can empathise with what you're saying. It is also difficult being everything to everybody and carrying the range that we carry. In case anyone hasn't noticed we have THOUSANDS of products to stock and yes it is difficult to allow for shifts in people's purchasing habits over this wide range - especially when we have lead times on the majority of our range of 2 - 6 months. You try planning that far in advance and getting it right 100% of the time.

One great thing about the internet is that people can say what they want without being seen by the other people reading it - this post does not have that luxury. Maybe i'm crazy for putting this post on, and i can almost guarantee the response i get to it will confirm that, but bloody hell - at least i tried to explain it. Its probably preaching to the wrong group of people because you all hate us anyway, but i guess you guys get to vent so why cant we?

If anyone would like to discuss any issues on how we might actually improve our service by telling us (because some of the greatest ideas we have used is from customers) you can always email us. We do listen and respond to our emails.

As for you Shane - why the bloody hell couldn't you pick a phone and call me if you had problems? After you yelled at Ollie constantly on the phone for having your house flooded out (which i still feel bad about but wasn't exactly our fault) and he hung up on you and asked me to call you, i haven't heard boo about things except for the issue with your table saw - something we didn't exactly have a great deal of control over either - being that the manufacturer as a once off mixed up the orders at their end. Stuart even offered at one stage to look for any spare parts lying around to help you get the machines sorted out that were water damaged, but advised me that he never heard back from you. I am not sure what exactly we did wrong, but you know me (as you've mentioned my name plenty of times) and it isn't that hard to make a phone call and talk to me. I must admit i'm not available all the time, but i do respond to messages. You have quite happily ripped into us so i feel quite happy to put the information from our perspective out in the open too - benefit of the net i guess.

On a final note - i will check back to see what people say after this post, but won't respond to them. Say what you want - as you all will, but if you really have something to say, do the courtesy of maybe bringing it up with us as well so we might actually do something about it. From Toggy's post on the first page you can see we're quite happy to do the right thing. Our email address is pretty easy - [email protected] or [email protected] would be the right way to go. Hope this entertains people for a while. Just remember at the end of the day...

If you're an Aussie and you can't laugh at yourself you shouldn't be in this country anyway. :D

LineLefty
18th November 2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks for that Hague, a VERY interesting post. I have sympathies with your staffing situation, supplier problems, PITA customers and all that.

The bad service given to some customers, although out of your control, is still bad service. Luckily for you guys, theres not too many direct competitors. If I want to buy a tablesaw in Perth it's you guys or Carbatec. If we offered bad service in my industry (consulting) it's adios muchachos.

Having said that, thanks for your post, its really interesting to hear from you. But dont treat the forum as a homogenous anti-timbecon lobby group.

Dean
18th November 2005, 02:48 PM
I agree that running a business is tough and yes, the boss' house is regularly on the line. Where I work we also have a skeleton staff because that is all we can afford, and finding motivated new workers who are interested in seeing a company progress rather than being there all week just to wait for their pay is EXTREMELY difficult.

It's easy to criticize when your not on the same side of the fence. As a mag editor, I occassionally get hammered by some readers for having missed a spelling error, but they doint know that I run basically the whole magazine publishing side by myself. That's 92 pages per month, planning, editing, proofing, paying writers, handling the companies 3 websites with updates on a daily basis, writing about 100 emails per day, and then also running my two own product review websites. I'm not bignoting myself by any means, but the fact of the matter is, you don't always have endless time or endless resources to do a job to the best of ytour ability, and in most cases, you can't afford to have those resources. You do the best with what you have at any given time, and that is what should be appreciated by everyone. As a consumer, you have a choice. If you don't like a company for whatever reason, you do not have to invest your time or money with them next time around. If you do not like a magazine, you do not have to buy it etc.

Its really gut-wrenching when you work your behind off, doing the best you can, then someone comes along and kicks you in the guts for something either of little relevance to the whole scheme of things, or just because they want to feel important. I personally waste a lot of time with some customers simply because they are too lazy to read instruction manuals, have zero patience, or expect you to treat them like their own personal servant. They expect you to be on call for them 24 hours a day and then get agro when you are not.

I'm not taking sides. We are all consumers, whether you run a business or not, and we have all had problems with companies in the past, whether they be phone companies, woodworking companies or whatever, but take a step back and appreciate that you are able to buy the services or equipment they offer with relative ease in this country. To some extent, I think we have all been spoilt by our own prosperity. As Hague suggests, if you have a problem, the company is only a phone call away. Although email is easy, it is not often the best and fastest way to comunicate, and there are very few companies around that have resources to answer your email on the same day it is sent. We all try to do that in business, but sometimes it is just not possible. And remember, polite emails or calls will yield quicker and better responses. No customer service employee likes to be treated rudely, because often, they are not the ones to blame in the first place.

So, enjoy what you have, what you are able to get, and cut some slack, and most importantly, if you have a problem, choose the most appropriate form of comunication to solve your issue the quickest. We are not all superhuman and we wouldnt be in business if we didn't have a desire to offer products and services. I think if a company has been around for more than a few years, they must be doing something right. The downright dodgy ones rarely succeed long term.

We need to work together, not against each other for things to grow and prosper (gawd, I sound like a hippie now!) :D :D :D :rolleyes:

Hague Gobby
18th November 2005, 02:57 PM
Adam,

I didn't want to come off as sounding as if this bulletin board is all bad - there are plenty of people over time that have said good things here too. And you do have to take good things with the bad.

We survive (at the moment despite staff issues actually prosper) because we must get it right most of the time i think. Most of our business is repeat business. We've been around for a fair while now and if we had a bad business it would have ground to a halt before the fifteen years it has been going.

A really odd thing is that something may go wrong twice with one customer, as opposed to having two customers where one thing goes wrong - bloody Murphy i think is the one to blame.

Overall i quite like this bulletin board, although i don't have time to check it all that regularly. Just thought i'd respond to this because it has been suggested that someone here should and i thought - why not? Leave you all to it.

Ciao. :cool:

craigb
18th November 2005, 03:02 PM
Good posts from bothe Hague and Dean showing that there are indeed two sides to every coin. What's more, you managed to get your point across in clear English.

FWIW, I've only ever bought one thing online from Timbecon, (although I did buy a few small things from you at the Sydney show) and for the record it arrived in
good order and in a timely manner.

Personally, I don't think we should use these forums for slagging off suppliers or whinging about service. As has been said, if you have a problem, take it up with the supplier, don't vent here.

Craig

Sturdee
18th November 2005, 04:06 PM
Hague,

An interesting and informative post. Full marks for getting on board and explaining things.

You are in fact confirming what Bodgy said in the opening post, and you indicate that you are fixing things as fast as you can. Hopefully these problems will be fixed soon and in the future things will be better for you.

As I see it your main image problem is lack of communication with your customers about the progress of their orders. If an item is to go on backorder then keep them regularly informed. A regular email to let them know that they are not forgotten is all that you need to do to keep most of us being supportive.

However when you treat your customers as mushrooms you get their backs up and the rants start. So until you get your main staffing problems and supply problems sorted out regular emails to your customers and maybe posts on this board would be beneficicial to you.

Good luck, hope you get things sorted.

Peter.

silentC
18th November 2005, 04:07 PM
OK, well I'm surprised that you came back after what happened last time, but as you say 'balls of steel', so good on you.

We all know that running your own business is hard work and the bigger it is, the harder it is to run. It's your choice to do it though and if the rewards weren't there, I guess you wouldn't. Personally, I'm quite happy working for the man. I like my sleep ;)

Seems you have some problems and I guess you're aware of what they are. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. I was one of the murphy's law guys a couple of years ago. I wont go into details but I'm sure your old man was sick of the sound of my voice. I understand that things are often out of your control and to his credit, Ross sorted things out well and truly in my favour.

I still count myself a customer, although I haven't bought anything for awhile. Stories like WIld Dingo's don't often put me off, I like to give the benefit of the doubt at least once. I'm sure most others are the same. Let's face it, we don't have a lot of choice in Australia.

E. maculata
18th November 2005, 05:09 PM
Hague full marks for a well presented run down, at least you're trying, in my books that's worth alot.
Perceptions are also very dangerous things, I reckon that word of mouth is still one of the best techniques anyone in the service industry can utilise gain the confidence of some hardcore customers and small(not implying you are a small business, not implying you're not) businesses turn onto medium sized one, not sure if it can help beyond that though.
Anyway I'm sure Shane feels his stance is justified, and we can almost see the Bruises on Hagues' forehead from the east coast:eek: .
BTW heaps of good honest workers round here looking for gainfull employment.

Sprog
18th November 2005, 07:23 PM
Personally, I don't think we should use these forums for slagging off suppliers or whinging about service. As has been said, if you have a problem, take it up with the supplier, don't vent here.

Craig

I totally agree.

If you don't tell the company you think there is a problem, how can it be fixed.

rodm
18th November 2005, 08:58 PM
Good on you Hague, that response shows you have the courage to carry the business through.
Now if we can convince you to change the colour of your machines this will all be worth it. :D
Sherwood green sounds good to me.

Gumby
18th November 2005, 09:11 PM
Congrats on your post Hague. I run my own business and deal with the public every day - you have my sympathy. They lie, cheat, swear at the receptionist, carry on and generally blame anybody but themselves for their problems or if things don't go their way.
There are 2 sides to every story.

Bodgy
18th November 2005, 09:15 PM
Well done Hague. I have been very critical of your company, but in what I hope was a constructive way. I really want you to get it together.

Many of us here run businesses in which we have equity, so there is understanding on that point.

I echo what others have said. Your PR sucks. No communications. We would all be far more forgiving and tolerant if you just told us what was happening with our orders. Echoing silence for months don't cut it. In my view (and I do know what I'm talking about) this is losing you more return business than your staff and stock issues.

At least take the statement off your web pages that promises an email confirming shipping. Both of us know that never happens.

You have the best pricing and range. You've got the hard part done, don't blow by buggering up the easy bit.

In goodwill I write.

PM me if you like and I'll call you to discuss whatever. Not trying to be anonymous, just not dropping my pants on the Web.

Finally, you don't visit this forum often? Why the hell not? You have thousands of woodies here, talk about cheap and easy marketing. Why do you think UBeaut run it? And they only sell finishing stuff. I'd be running ads here and at least your details on the UBeaut suppliers page. For bugger all $$ you hit a qualified market at a cost per head of cents.

Just fix your PR and underlying problems.

Your candid post is a good start.

scooter
18th November 2005, 10:44 PM
Hague, haven't ordered from you online, so unqualified to comment.

Have purchased from your stand at the Melb wood shows over the past 3 or 4 years, and appreciate your business' commitment to that show. Each year your display and staffing seems better & better. I realise there's good business to be done there but nonetheless a big thing logistically.

Good luck in ironing out your staffing issues & I hope the future has good tidings for your business and your staff.

Nice direct post too explaining some of your difficulties, good to see.

Cheers................Sean

boban
18th November 2005, 11:12 PM
Hague,

I'll second what Bodgy says about your range and pricing. You guys are the best by far. I've no complaints with respect to anything else but that doesn't make interesting reading.

What Sturdee said about his liquidator/administrator mates certainly should be taken into account by your company. Go the extra mile for online customers and I think the rewards will certainly be there in the long term.

Good luck with the business.

Harry72
19th November 2005, 12:27 AM
I have all of my big tools supplied by Hague(he personaly did me a very good deal, thanks mate), had no troubles with the ordering delivery was very fast on the 1st order... except for a few smaller bits which were on back order, as they didnt have any stock.
So my sugestion to the guys at Timb's is if its not in stock remove it from the web site... would save much frustration on the customers part.

Hey Hague, Know any one who needs a chef?(job for SWMBO) If so I'd throw in my job come work for you full time no worries! Over 10 yrs in current job so Im a stayer... with experiance on sherwood tools!

Toggy
19th November 2005, 10:07 PM
Hague,

I like to tell it as it is.

Mistakes or bad deeds are often made known; but good deeds etc are often overlooked and credit not given to them.

I appreciate the way that your company corrected the mistake (you probably don't sell 2 tail vice screws at a time very often)

As a suggestion to stock on back order etc; why not have your ordering system keep the web site updated as to whether the item was in stock or on backorder. That way there can be no misunderstandings between you & your customers. As previously stated; it overcomes the mushroom syndrome.

Ken

Groggy
19th November 2005, 10:32 PM
Hague, it's good to see you drop in and speak up. I haven't ordered much from you guys, but what I have got here in one piece and in reasonable time.

I am surprised how many retailers seem loathe to get on the net and interact with their customers (warts and all). Rob Lee is a master at it. I can't imagine how much business he gets from it but it would be significant. (The Bessey clamp thread springs to mind)

I think there is opportunity to serve the market online if you watch and think about it. Thanks for dropping by.

Sturdee
19th November 2005, 11:19 PM
Everyone's an expert on this forum and i know there'll be plenty of people looking through this post and picking out the things they can poke fun at us for being bad, having poor service, indifferent and admitting it, but i'm going to close on this final half page essay...

Hague,

As you can see by the posts that we are not poking fun at you, but have made sensible suggestions.

Your post has helped us see your problems and I'm sure that you have earned a lot of brownie points for coming on board. As Groggy said interact more with us and I'm sure the goodwill to your company will be better than before.

Peter.

Studley 2436
20th November 2005, 12:49 AM
I got a TSC 10HB from Timbecon several months ago.

A day after I ordered it they called to say it would ship but without the Biesemeyer fence. It would have another fence sent with it and they would send the good fence when it came in. They said about 1 or 2 weeks.

The saw arrived that week. Was fair enough. I was impressed that they let me know they had a problem straight away too.

Later I called about the fence still coming new container etc. Sounded like they didn't know.

Anyway I gave up asking I phoned once or twice to ask. It did come about 4 months after I bought the saw. That part was dissapointing.

So you can seem my experience with them was some good some bad.

The machine itself is good. I can't say who I will buy from next time I need something. I will make that decision at the time.

Stephen

Wild Dingo
25th November 2005, 06:22 PM
Hague I also thank you for your imput.

My posts are an expression of my experiences with your company some of which you address by blaming your staff issues others you sort of put the blame on me... if thats how you deal with it then thats fine

However the business is yours you are the management the buck as they say stops with you no one else you. It all flows back to management. Blame all and anyone you will but at the end of the day its down to management.

If you recall some months back I posted about the good service I got from you when I started my buying frenzy... and from that you should notice that I am more than happy to post about good experiences good customer service and recommend a company such as yours if I believe that they do provide a good service on the other hand I will also post the contrary if I feel the need

Hell I must have thought your business was worth my custom at one time if I spent so much there!

There are other companies that use this board that dont seem to garner the same sort of threads as has been done with your company over recent times perhaps and its just a "perhaps" its because they do use this as one extra part of their business?

On a final note I have consistantly said that I wish you and your company well and hope you can sort the issues out... the fact that your business is there is a good thing in that it offers competition and alternatives so I do sincerely hope you can get them sorted for the woodworking community in general

Redback
25th November 2005, 07:23 PM
Hi Hague,

I woulda been willing to work for you, been looking for a new job, how'd you like a programmer who knows a bit (ok a small bit) about woodworking. Heck, I own enough items from your shop! :)

In fact, I could probably write you a application that tracks your orders and pops up with daily reminders on who you have to call to tell that their parts havent arrived yet :D

On second thoughts, not such a good idea..... Im not good with customers! :eek:

Anyways, hope you get your staff issues sorted out. I did note the last few times I have been in the store that a few of the staff where missing. Was a pain getting served if you had more than 2 customers!...

The American guy is one who went on to management somewhere? he was really good in the demo's and would be sadly missed...

cheers

Redback

Sprog
25th November 2005, 09:55 PM
Hey Shane, give it a rest.
You just can't leave it alone, you have just got to keep picking at the sore.
If you have issues with Timbecon then take them up directly with them.
Leave your shiit out of the forum.
You sound like the customer from hell to me!

No, I have no connection with Timbecon, I am just a customer that has always had decent service from them.

Groggy
25th November 2005, 10:04 PM
Hey Shane, give it a rest.
You just can't leave it alone, you have just got to keep picking at the sore.
If you have issues with Timbecon then take them up directly with them.
Leave your shiit out of the forum.
You sound like the customer from hell to me!
Aw heck, this is gonna leave a crater...run everyone!:eek:

Wild Dingo
25th November 2005, 10:23 PM
No worries I thought I was pretty easy going with my comments? ah well... Ive said what I felt needed to be said and still hope they get their act together regardless of what any "sprog" or anyone else may think :rolleyes:

dazzler
26th November 2005, 11:36 AM
Hi hague

I have been following the Timbecon threads for some time now and though I have taken Wild Dingos posts in the fun/verbouse style that he has I have given them small weight in the scheme of complaints against you company.

I often envisage our wild friend as a basil fawtly character running around in a blue singlet and shorts bashing stuff together with a hammer screaming at everything;) :p . (sorry wild)

I think this is very similar to the carbatec dramas of melbourne. Business wasnt run right so down the gurgler she went. Carbatec brisbane seems to be at the cutting edge of customer service, see how many tsc10hbs they sold to all up and down the east coast, and I would try and model your service on them.

I would suggest that you employ a female receptionist part time who ensures that all emails and complaints are followed up weekly.

There is no excuse in this modern world for customers not to be in the loop and updated constantly. This is as simple as having your email system prompt you weekly to contact the customer.

A simple email saying" we are still trying to sort out the problem and have done x to remedy it." and "we expect that the matter will be resolved in x days, weeks, months."

This person generates a weekly report of outstanding matters so that it can be tracked properly. These reports stay on file so that if it really hits the fan you can respond correctly

ie: we contacted you on this date, this date, this date and advised you of this that and the other.

Say someone like our wild friend has a genuine beef and its taking too long to fix, whether it be you or the supplier, you can grab something from old stock....tape, chisel, clamp or whetever and send it with a short note saying..."sorry this is taking so long, pls accept this small gift and hope to have it sorted soon."

And using a pleasant female to deal with all these issues is of benefit when you look at the generally reasonable male population that purchases from the company.

Finally, most misunderstandings come from lack of communication. I would put a LOT of effort into turning this side of the business around as a priority. Anyways, good luck.

dazzler

Wild Dingo
26th November 2005, 03:07 PM
I often envisage our wild friend as a basil fawtly character running around in a blue singlet and shorts bashing stuff together with a hammer screaming at everything

Bloody hell you got me down pat!!! :p :p Howd you do that?? :eek:

dazzler
26th November 2005, 04:42 PM
Cause it takes one to know one!!!!!!:D

seanr
11th December 2005, 09:52 PM
One unhappy customer tells 10 . 10 happy customers tell 1 . So sounds like you have many happy ones and 1 unhappy one. Everytime i enter your shop there are plenty of customers , so you must be doing something right . I make and sell basic timber products at a local market . Its funny how many people come up to me giving me advise on what i should do , when you chat to them they are failed people . I like you Hague are flat out making people happy and money , where as those with all the advice are quiet and broke . I've learnt who to tell to p#$s off.
I have never had a problem with timbecon or any other suppliers . I use a few differant suppliers depending on what products i require and have learnt who is better for what .

echnidna
11th December 2005, 10:19 PM
Goodonya Hague.

Just restating something said earlier
Orange is a cruddy color

routermaniac
12th December 2005, 07:56 AM
Just read hagues post now, a few small comments to make....

1. never had any problems with ordering from Timbecon. The website is probably the best set-out www site in Australia, it is VERY easy to find what you want. The others are slowly catching up.

2. In terms of service my experience is close to what I got from LV and they are a much larger corporation! I always get an email to confirm the order and postage and have often added items to an order quickly and effectively.

3.At times when a product was not in stock I got a phone call or an email and was given an estimated arrival date and the option to cancel my order.

Yes it is frustrating not to be able to have every single item advertised in stock, but I realise that this is not always up to the management. If we all decide that we need the LV LA jack at once they are unlikely to be able to meet supply and that it understandable.

4. Often I have emailed to ask for details on specifications of a product that was not available on the site and usually I get an email back with the details within 24 hours.

And lastly, lets face it, they're are very competetitive in terms of pricing, they often initiate and drive discounting by their competitors (this was very obvious recently on a dovetailing jig).

Hague, provided you keep it up you've got my business mate.

My 2 cents worth,

Marios