PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Coil Nails - Bostitch N80CB

Gazeboman
9th November 2005, 07:06 AM
Hi

I have just aquired a Stanley Bostitch N80CB coil nailer. I intend to use it for construction of a picket fence, a garage, a garden shed and a childrens cubby house (just for starters!).

I purchsed from Tradetools several rolls of straight 40 mm gal nails for the picket fencing but they did not stock any other nails for this gun. Until I know exactly what nails I need for my other jobs I would like to buy a selection of nails ready to try for different jobs.

I am getting tired os earching the web for information on coil nail types and uses so could somenbody answer these questions.

Firstly, will the Bostitch take nails from other manufactures and if so which?

Secondly, can somebody briefly describe the uses of the certain types of nails and the lengths required for particular nailing jobs? I have several books but none give me the information. I understand that the nail should be three times the thickness of the material being nailed but does this rule of thumb hold for coil nails. Also, some of these types of nails appear to be much thinner than I would have used with a hammer. Are the wire-coiled nails glue-covered?

Thirdly, is there a shop in Brisbane that keeps the Bostitch nails in stock?

sol381
9th November 2005, 07:22 AM
Well question 1, Not sure if bostitch take nails from other manufacturers but why would you bother. They are more readily available than any other nail.

2. For fencing i normally use 45-50mm straight shank. $3.00 a coil
Decking 45mm twist shank for hardwood joists, ring shank for pine,about $6-8 a coil, Ply bracing 32mm .

3.I get all my nails from bretts . they have a big range and knowledgable staff.

Im not sure if the n80cb takes plastic collated nails. If not then you might be out of luck. Plastic collated have a larger variety of nails available.

stef

Dean
9th November 2005, 11:10 PM
Where is Bretts in Brissie exactly?

sol381
10th November 2005, 07:07 AM
Newmarket road, Windsor. That is just where i get them. Im sure glenfords or tradetools do stock, or could get them in for you ,most size and type of nail.
stef