PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the USA - Happy I found this forum!

teesquare
19th April 2020, 12:07 AM
I was doing a Google search for quick change handles....and a link to this forum came up. Glad to join, and look forward to the exchange of ideas. I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina @ approx. 2500 ft. elevation. I have been wood butchering...er...turning for approx. 1-1/2 years. I have a Robust American Beauty and feel very lucky to own it. (A generous Mrs.....:D ) I am particularly lucky to have found this hobby where I live for 2 other reasons: 1. I joined the local club - the Carolina Mountain Woodturners - which is the largest wood turning club in the USA, and has as members people like David Ellsworth, Graeme Priddle, and the current AAW president - Greg Schramek. Incredible support for learning....
AND 2: The area I live in is called the Southern Appalachian Highlands. It is an upland rain forest. Last year I had 107 inches of rain on my property. We have more species of plant life than anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere...which includes a LOT of trees. Maple -several species, Oak - white and red, Hickory, Cherry, Apple, Peach, Locust ( an Acacia species) Poplar - ( I just bought a Rainbow Poplar of which the smallest diameter on the trunk is 40 inches...) Sycamore, River Birch, Sassafras, and dozens more I cannot remember I am sure....
But I am curious about the woods and methods that you are using, and find myself constantly trying to read and turn. Sometimes I actually pause to eat, have an adult beverage...and disappear to my "lathe cave" again. Currently I am working on finishing an entire shop dust collection system....quite a chore in that I located the 5 hp cyclone outside - and have to return the filtered air into he shop - as it is the basement level pf my house....ther wise I would be sucking 2500 cu.feet per minute of "conditioned air" out of the house, and feed the power company more money.:U
Looking forward to fun conversations!
T

old1955
19th April 2020, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the forum.

crowie
19th April 2020, 08:56 PM
G'Day & Welcome to the Great Southern Land and to a top forum "T",
There are quite a few members from the "USA" plus "canuck" members and the rest of the world.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.....
Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

KeithP
19th April 2020, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Regards
Keith

teesquare
20th April 2020, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome folks! Will post a few pics soon. I hope all are staying well during this...strange time.

verawood
21st April 2020, 10:28 PM
Gday and welcome

teesquare
22nd April 2020, 12:10 PM
Thanks verawood!

Old Croc
22nd April 2020, 11:23 PM
Exactly where are you teesquare, I spend a bit of time around Asheville each year, but sadly the chinavirus has put paid to my trip this year.
Rgds,
Crocy.

JJF
25th April 2020, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the forum