PDA

View Full Version : Walk around of my bench

riverbuilder
25th April 2020, 10:49 AM
Just a short video of my big bench and how it went together. YouTube (https://youtu.be/GmS74a_G7kE)

justonething
25th April 2020, 11:53 AM
To be honest, I'm intrigued by your house with only river access. Are you going to give us a tour of the house and its surrounding next?

riverbuilder
27th April 2020, 07:38 AM
To be honest, I'm intrigued by your house with only river access. Are you going to give us a tour of the house and its surrounding next?
That one isn’t my house, it’s a house I’ve been building for a holiday house for some people who live about 1 hour away closer to the city. My place is about 2 kms downstream. There’s a whole community of about 160 homes here, about half are permanently occupied,the rest weekenders. I’ve been here for 22 years, and physically, it’s hard work, everything has to be carried three times. I might do a tour of the house one day, if the owners permit it.

Glider
22nd May 2020, 09:16 AM
Nice looking bench. Peter. Did you design the wheels arrangement yourself?

I was interested to see that the top is trapped within the outer frame which is held with dovetails. I would have thought that shrinkage might prove problematic in the longer term. I raise this because I'm currently building a desk for the second time using veneer over ply because the previous top made with epoxied solid wood opened up after 5-6 years.

mick

Fluddman
22nd May 2020, 10:27 AM
Thanks for posting. I found it interesting and got some good ideas from it. I especially like the wheels as I have been scratching my brain for something like this.

Will you have to relocate the work bench when you finish this job?

All the best.

riverbuilder
22nd May 2020, 08:07 PM
Nice looking bench. Peter. Did you design the wheels arrangement yourself?

I was interested to see that the top is trapped within the outer frame which is held with dovetails. I would have thought that shrinkage might prove problematic in the longer term. I raise this because I'm currently building a desk for the second time using veneer over ply because the previous top made with epoxied solid wood opened up after 5-6 years.

mick
Yes it just came out of my head after watching a couple of YouTube videos but they looked very agricultural. Unless I’ve copied some other one? I just drew it up on a bit of ply and made a mock up to get the geometry right then just made it . The timber is very dry Im not expecting much movement.

riverbuilder
22nd May 2020, 08:09 PM
Thanks for posting. I found it interesting and got some good ideas from it. I especially like the wheels as I have been scratching my brain for something like this.

Will you have to relocate the work bench when you finish this job?

All the best.

yes, the bench will get taken out by a crane barge and onto a truck to go to my off-river workshop at Somersby. The wheels work really well. It moves really easily for 148kgs.