PDA

View Full Version : Quick workbench top question

Rookie
9th November 2005, 01:37 PM
Okay, I've been searching for the last 45 minutes and have found lots of disussion on workbench frames, workbench tops, but nothing in between.

I am making my top out of 90x45 hardwood laminated by glueing edges together. It wills sit on a hardwood frame. I read about expansion so I was wondering what people join this type of top to the bench frame with. I know it needs to allow movement but those figure eight thingys seem so flimsy.

Ideas welcome

Bodgy
9th November 2005, 02:09 PM
If its hard wood, and consequently heavy, don't bother joining at all. Just put some sort of frame around the edge, or underneath that fits snuggly around the exterior of the legs. It won't go anywhere, assuming there aren't huge overhangs that you jump up and down on.

I did mine this way so it was relatively easy to move - ie get thru doorways. Never been a problem.

echnidna
9th November 2005, 06:00 PM
Screw it on from underneath so the screws don't mangle your tools
Screw the front of the top on in the right place.

Put other screws in at appropriate spacings. These screws will need to let the top change in width. Slotting the screw holes is the traditional way to let the top move. But if you drill 20mm holes through the frame and use a screw fitted through an automotive body washer (which are 32mm diameter) this will let the top move with humidity changes while still giving you a solid mounted top.

These days I use tek screws for this sort of work rather than wood screws.