PDA

View Full Version : Singapore

Simomatra
9th November 2005, 09:22 PM
Hi
As some may be aware I am Singapore bound.

Does anyone out there know of any woodworking tool places or any thing in that line worth having a look at in Singapore

Cutting new ground for me there

Cheers Sam

bitingmidge
9th November 2005, 09:38 PM
Sam,

When in Singapore, I suggest you take up a pair of new hobbies:

Shopping
Eating

If you are going for a while and get out of the tourist spots, you may find a few places in the 'burbs, but don't expect Bunneys or Carbatec!

Have a great time!
Cheers,

P
:D

DavidG
9th November 2005, 09:52 PM

Eating
Down by the water front. Rows of eating houses. Every form of food.
Forget everything else. Try a new place each night.
Yummy yum yum.:D :D :D

gazaly
9th November 2005, 09:57 PM
Sam,

Eating

mmmmmm....monkey on a stick.... aghhhhhhhhhh

Gumby
9th November 2005, 10:18 PM
I don't want to see you in the morning papers surrounded by security guards going through customs with a Triton Drill, Makita Router, and a Festool Sander strapped to your nether limbs.:)

That would be ugly....um sorry sir, they aren't mine.:o

bitingmidge
9th November 2005, 11:08 PM
And if you strapped a GMC to your bod, you could be charged with BEING a dope.

P
:D

Ashore
10th November 2005, 01:07 AM
New world shopping centre if its still there
but most of the stiuff I saw was chinese rubbish
some jap hand tools , screwdrivers spanners etc

The best I got was a great price on mundial kitchen knives, well worth it

can't believe its your first time singapore, if you get time take the train ( subway )to the end of the tracks then walk straight ahead and to the left two three blocks to nee soon ( not sure of spelling ) and you will get a good price on trinkets to take home plus clothes etc . Bit off the track but was good price and a lot of shops for the locals so prices were good.

Don't know what the cab prices are now but the Nelson bar at sambawang
was value just mention hottie san , and if the same people still run it you'll be ok

Stear clear of Bugis Street they re-built it and its a tourist rip
Satay club if still open is good
Top bar of the Hilton ask for a fog cutter but only one :cool:

Rgds

Russell

Simomatra
10th November 2005, 07:31 AM
New world shopping centre if its still there
but most of the stiuff I saw was chinese rubbish
some jap hand tools , screwdrivers spanners etc

The best I got was a great price on mundial kitchen knives, well worth it

can't believe its your first time singapore, if you get time take the train ( subway )to the end of the tracks then walk straight ahead and to the left two three blocks to nee soon ( not sure of spelling ) and you will get a good price on trinkets to take home plus clothes etc . Bit off the track but was good price and a lot of shops for the locals so prices were good.

Don't know what the cab prices are now but the Nelson bar at sambawang
was value just mention hottie san , and if the same people still run it you'll be ok

Stear clear of Bugis Street they re-built it and its a tourist rip
Satay club if still open is good
Top bar of the Hilton ask for a fog cutter but only one :cool:

Rgds

Russell

Hi Russell

Not my first time in Singas just breaking new ground looking for tools etc.

Well aware of the other delights up there :) :) but never had the interest in the woodworking then.

Ten days to go on this slow boat it has a damaged thruster and although we have seven only 1 large and one small are any good to us in transit

Yesterday we had th exciting anti pirate drill thrilling indead

The vessel is going to Loyang and then to dry dock for a quick fix then back to the north west to work for Woodside

Will tell all if I find any woodworking places

Cheers sam

Bodgy
10th November 2005, 08:24 AM
I think you will be surprised what you'll find if you look. Also if you have access to a car, KL isn't far and a pleasant drive. JB is also very accessible if you can stand the queues and petrol bull on the causeway.

I can't offer any direct help, but all thru Asia supply type businesses all cluster together in a single row of shop/flats. So, if you find one ww supplier you'll find them all. I know there are two whole streets of engineering tool suppliers. Maybe find the cabinet/joinery street and ask where they buy their gear.

Local knowledge is the thing, but as with most middle class Asians, manual work is seen as very low class in Sing, so you'll need to ask your driver or parking guy etc. Hotel concierges are often helpful.

Good luck and say hello to Orchard Towers for me.

Simomatra
10th November 2005, 08:28 PM
Good luck and say hello to Orchard Towers for me.[/quote]

I take it you are referring to four floor of!!!:):p

Cheers sam

Bodgy
11th November 2005, 09:09 AM
Good luck and say hello to Orchard Towers for me.
I take it you are referring to four floor of!!!:):p

Cheers sam[/quote]

You found it already? Quick work!

Peter Jones
17th November 2005, 11:36 AM
Hey Sam,Have you arrived there yet ? and if so did you find any decent shops.I like yourself have been there heaps of times but didn't have the wood bug then , Am spending a week there very soon (work related) and would be grateful for any info/updates.Rgds Peter

Alfred
20th November 2005, 01:23 AM
You will want to visit Homely Hardware in Ubi Industrial Estate, just look it up in the phone book and get a cab to bring you there. Cabs are cheap compared to here, so don't sweat it. You should be able to find most items you need there. Don't expect to get the really fancy stuff like Porter Cable and Festool, but they will have or will be able to get most Makita products there.

The other place you will want to visit is Jalan Besar and Sungie Road, where you will find many hardware shops. Don't expect a place like Bunnies and you will be fine.

Peter Jones
20th November 2005, 11:28 AM
OK Alfred thanks for the tips, will let you know if I find anything interestingPeter

Simomatra
21st November 2005, 06:33 PM
Hey Sam,Have you arrived there yet ? and if so did you find any decent shops.I like yourself have been there heaps of times but didn't have the wood bug then , Am spending a week there very soon (work related) and would be grateful for any info/updates.Rgds Peter

Peter
arrived home today.

Singapore for me this time was a complete washout as by the time the shipgot in and my flight out there was only 4 hours. A few beers a new digital camera and that was itimages/icons/icon8.gif

Better luck next time I hope

Cheers Sam

Peter Jones
22nd November 2005, 03:29 PM
Nevermind Sam,I'll keep you posted if I find anywhere worth going .Cheers Peter

John Saxton
1st December 2005, 08:41 PM
Some real handy posts here fella's ,me an "er indoors" are planning a stopover there next year on another jaunt away from home.

THANX for all the updates ...been a while since we were thru there.

CHEERS:)

bennylaird
2nd December 2005, 07:25 AM
We used to avoid Orchard Rd and the main tourist shops. Head out Samberwang Rd and explore. The prices out there used to be half the price and you could get anything you wanted. Chesters Photographic sold most things not just photographic gear and did a roaring trade with the RAAFies from Butterworth. Mind you that was in 1980-82.

Groggy
2nd December 2005, 08:19 AM
We used to avoid Orchard Rd and the main tourist shops. Head out Samberwang Rd and explore. The prices out there used to be half the price and you could get anything you wanted. Chesters Photographic sold most things not just photographic gear and did a roaring trade with the RAAFies from Butterworth. Mind you that was in 1980-82.Chester would have given you a special price on his mother if a quick sale was in the offing.:p

I passed through there a few times on Hercs and once enroute to another adventure spot, very good shopping for electronics, although Nee Soon seems to be no more (so I hear anyway).

Groggy - who is still using the National NV-777 vid recorder from xmas 1982; now that was a good buy!

bennylaird
2nd December 2005, 08:40 AM
Actually have his mother at home, makes great Roti's and Chilli Crab..............
Like you said good price for quick sale.

Bodgy
2nd December 2005, 09:21 AM
Make sure you have lunch at Muthtu's (wrong spell prob) in Little India.

Great experience, cheap, no beef, no cutlery, banana leaf plates and the biggest hand wash trough I've seen.

bennylaird
2nd December 2005, 09:28 AM
Don't forget the Gin Sling at Raffles too.

Bodgy
2nd December 2005, 09:49 AM
Don't forget the Gin Sling at Raffles too.

If you can afford it. Since the renovation I'm told a gin sling is approaching $30!