Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Simplicity
3rd September 2020, 05:07 PM
See ya then,

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
3rd September 2020, 07:02 PM
I will be there, hopefully on time.

If I can get the shed computer to run Zoom I will log on there and if nobody has any objections I would like to unveil the new bench for it's first proper public appearance.

I have a few power carving tools I can bring along too.

Bushmiller
3rd September 2020, 07:22 PM
I have a small concreting job to do tomorrow morning but, providing nothing went horribly wrong, I should be done and dusted by 1200hrs and will look forward to hooking up.

Regards
Paul

Pagie
3rd September 2020, 07:46 PM
Great I have some carving tool but not very good at it. Would like to see the finished bench. I can see how hairy Oak got it's name.

Simplicity
3rd September 2020, 08:39 PM
So the coffee club is back

Bushmiller
3rd September 2020, 08:56 PM
So the coffee club is back

Absolutely.

Make mine a double shot Jamaican (double shot for the coffee, not the rum :rolleyes: ).

Regards
Paul

Ps: 1200hrs is not too early is it? It is later than half past gin time after all :D .

LanceC
3rd September 2020, 09:06 PM
If I can get the shed computer to run Zoom I will log on there and if nobody has any objections I would like to unveil the new bench for it's first proper public appearance.

Gah! Sorry Doug. I had written down on my ďprattle paperĒ that we were going to do your bench this week, but it lives in the shed and I set up the meeting from my office and totally forgot.

If you can connect from the shed, we will do carving next week, and talk benches this week instead. [emoji106]

Bushmiller
3rd September 2020, 10:02 PM
Lance

Couldn't we carve Doug's name into his bench (when he's not looking)? It will just be like being back at school. "Doug's Bench" :D

I forgot, I'm supposed to be past that stage now!

:-

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
3rd September 2020, 10:13 PM
Absolutely.

Make mine a double shot Jamaican (double shot for the coffee, not the rum :rolleyes: ).

Regards
Paul

Ps: 1200hrs is not too early is it? It is later than half past gin time after all :D .

Coffee is on me this week every one,

Iím going to step back from the carving Dougs bench, well at least till heís returned my plane blade.

Cheers Matt.

Aussiephil
3rd September 2020, 10:28 PM

Cheers Matt.
double shot cappuccino please with two sugars...

doug3030
3rd September 2020, 10:38 PM

I’m going to step back from the carving Dougs bench, well at least till he’s returned my plane blade.

Mint hot chocolate with two marshmallows for me thanks.

Still no sight of the plane blade package, do you have a tracking number?

Simplicity
3rd September 2020, 11:09 PM
Mint hot chocolate with two marshmallows for me thanks.

Still no sight of the plane blade package, do you have a tracking number?

Anyone else for coffee,

Doug I re sent the tracking number to you in the morning.

LanceC
3rd September 2020, 11:13 PM
Large flat white please.

yvan
3rd September 2020, 11:44 PM
Sorry Folks,

will have to miss the Prattle, again....

Cheers Yvan

LanceC
4th September 2020, 01:41 PM
What an amazing bench Doug. Please pass on our thanks to Jools for getting the shed camera working.

Bushmiller
4th September 2020, 01:56 PM
This is the link to the largest turned wooden bowl in the world. Recognised by the Guinness Book of Records.

Weltrekord – Die grosste gedrechselte Holzschale der Welt – Peter Andres (http://www.peter-andres.com/galerien-guinness-weltrekord.htm)

You can click on a translation into English if it does not automatically come up that way.

Stan Ray is the chainsaw exponent I mentioned. A couple of pix below:

He also carves hats, old boots and the captivated ball in a cube. All done with a chainsaw. I think he would be about 90 now.

It was a good meeting. Thanks to Doug and Jools for the unveiling of the workbench. Magnificent. I love that it is all recycled.

Regards
Paul

doug3030
4th September 2020, 01:56 PM
What an amazing bench Doug. Please pass on our thanks to Jools for getting the shed camera working.

Thanks Lance.

And thanks everyone for allowing me to show off the bench. If it was not for the quarantine and stuff going on I would have invited the locals around to see the bench but that was not possible. It was good to have the opportunity to show it off in the zoom meeting instead. Not quite the same but the best that can be done. Thanks to all for the nice comments and not carving your initials in it.

Jools is uploading some photos of it in this thread soon.

justonething
4th September 2020, 01:59 PM
Thanks, Doug for showing us the workbench. It was awesome.

jools13
4th September 2020, 02:00 PM
Pictures from today

Simplicity
4th September 2020, 02:13 PM
Thanks everyone,
Fantastic Bench Doug,
Please pass on my thanks to the Camera lady.

Cheers Matt.

doug3030
4th September 2020, 02:40 PM
I mentioned today my Foredom woodcarving set, the one like a Dremel on steroids. Here's a link. They are great

Woodcarving Kits | Foredom Electric Company (https://www.foredom.net/product-category/flex-shaft-tools/flex-shaft-kits-sets/woodcarving-kits/)

Aussiephil
4th September 2020, 05:57 PM
That was one nice bench Doug... but are you sure about those initials, seems to be some in the dovetail :)

doug3030
4th September 2020, 08:32 PM
That was one nice bench Doug... but are you sure about those initials, seems to be some in the dovetail :)

Must have been some temporary trick of light and shade, Phil.

I went out and checked but there is no sign of any unauthorized initials now. :rolleyes: :no:

Bushmiller
6th September 2020, 11:30 AM
Lance

Just going back a couple of Prattles. This is a link to some chainsaw mill plans:

9 Homemade Chainsaw Mill Plans You can DIY Easily (https://www.thedailygardener.com/homemade-chainsaw-mill-plans)

Regards
Paul

doug3030
6th September 2020, 11:58 AM
Just going back a couple of Prattles. This is a link to some chainsaw mill plans:

9 Homemade Chainsaw Mill Plans You can DIY Easily (https://www.thedailygardener.com/homemade-chainsaw-mill-plans)

Just what I needed - another bloody project. :rolleyes:

Saved to hard drive, added to the list of projects (currently sitting at number 2,156)

LanceC
10th September 2020, 06:06 PM
Hi All,

It's been a hectic week for me, and have almost no mental capacity left to think of a topic, so how about this one... "When you are mentally exhausted, with no beans left in the tank, what do you do in the shed to recharge, or do you just sit in a comfy chair resting your eyes?

I look forward to seeing any and all tomorrow

Topic: Friday lunch prattle
Time: Friday 12:00-12:40

Join Zoom Meeting
Launch Meeting - Zoom (https://us04web.zoom.us/j/78948869892?pwd=RE9NZWRscjd4SGRzR0d6NEdGbHhBZz09)

Meeting ID: 789 4886 9892
Passcode: 123

doug3030
10th September 2020, 06:33 PM
I should be there - maybe on time, maybe not. :2tsup:

Bushmiller
10th September 2020, 06:35 PM
All good intentions to be there.

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
10th September 2020, 06:37 PM
Lance
Hope everything is ok?.

Will be there tomorrow chaps.

Cheers Matt.

Simplicity
10th September 2020, 07:38 PM
All good intentions to be there.

Regards
Paul

But that 40 mins would be excellent Plane making time !!.

Cheers Matt.

BobL
10th September 2020, 09:24 PM
Sorry I couldn't make the last meet as I have built 4 chainsaw mills and used about about a dozen others so feel I could have contributed.

One of the best on-line sources for getting started with home chain saw milling is the only sticky thread (Milling 101) in Arboristsite.com (http://www.arboristsite.com) Sawmilling subform
Milling & Saw Mills | Arboristsite.com (https://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/milling-saw-mills.62/) I post there unser teh same username as here. You have to suffer the Americanisms but other than that there's loads of good info there.

I started the Milling 101 thread in 2009 and it now has around 195 posts in it. The Arboristsite forum also had a picture meltdown around the same time that WWF had its picture losses. For a few months I was granted access to restore the pics so most of mine have been reinserted.

A critical factor with successful chain saw milling is sharpening and this is discussed in grimy detail by me on this forum.
My methods were deemed so effective that my main thread on this topic was moved to be the only sticky in the "Hotsaws - sharpening" subform.
Chain Sharpening | Arboristsite.com (https://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/chain-sharpening.74/)

The specific thread is here Are FOP really progressive depth raker generators? | Arboristsite.com (https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/are-fop-really-progressive-depth-raker-generators.114624/)
I could do a presentation/demo at one of the meetings there was enough interest.

LanceC
11th September 2020, 08:48 AM
Hope everything is ok?.

Thanks Matt, all is fine., my brain has just been getting an intense workout with work.

Simplicity
11th September 2020, 09:35 AM
Thanks Matt, all is fine., my brain has just been getting an intense workout with work.

You should see if Mr Bushmillar can get you a job?
It seems to be a fairly relaxed affair, apart from the hours.

Cheers Matt

Aussiephil
11th September 2020, 01:43 PM
One the subject of CBN v Diamond wheels here is the tech tip from the Norton catalogue
Although diamond and cBN (cubic Boron Nitride) are both superabrasives, the use of diamond and cBN varies, depending upon the materials to be ground.

cBN Grinds:• High-speed tool steels• Die steel• Hardened carbon steels• Hardened stainless steels• Alloy steels• Aerospace alloys• Abrasion-resistantferrous materials

Diamond Grinds:• Cemented carbide• Glass• Ceramics• Fiberglass• Plastics• Composites• Abrasives• Stone• Electronic componentsand materials

In general, cBN is used to grind ferrous materials. Diamond is used to grind non-ferrous materials, because of an adverse reaction between diamond and iron.T

Bushmiller
11th September 2020, 01:50 PM
Another very good prattle.

This is a link to my shoulder plane blades (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f228/plane-blade-237189)

The original poster has PM'd me to say he would like one, but I am waiting for him to say which one. If any of you would like to use the remaining blades please let me know.

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
11th September 2020, 02:10 PM
Another great catch up guys,

Cheers Matt.

justonething
11th September 2020, 02:52 PM
Sorry I had to miss out. Hope you guy had fun.
Work meetings always get in the way around Friday lunchtime.

LanceC
17th September 2020, 05:14 PM
Hi All,

Can you believe it's nearly Friday!

The topic for this week will be around finishing. What is your go-to finish, and why do you love it so? If you don't have one, that's ok, you can listen in and ask questions of those who do.

I look forward to seeing you all again. Just a reminder to anyone who has not joined in before but is curious, it's a pretty chilled chat with no pressure to participate more than you want to (you will have to turn your camera on though, so be sure you are wearing a pair of trousers/dress).

Time: Friday, 12:00-12:40

Join Zoom Meeting
Launch Meeting - Zoom (https://us04web.zoom.us/j/78948869892?pwd=RE9NZWRscjd4SGRzR0d6NEdGbHhBZz09)

doug3030
17th September 2020, 05:17 PM
I will be there, It might be too hot for trousers though.

Maybe shorts.

Simplicity
17th September 2020, 05:30 PM
Iím a 50/50 chance tomorrow.

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
17th September 2020, 05:36 PM
Hi All,

Can you believe it's nearly Friday!

The topic for this week will be around finishing. What is your go-to finish, and why do you love it so? If you don't have one, that's ok, you can listen in and ask questions of those who do.

I look forward to seeing you all again. Just a reminder to anyone who has not joined in before but is curious, it's a pretty chilled chat with no pressure to participate more than you want to (you will have to turn your camera on though, so be sure you are wearing a pair of trousers/dress).

Time: Friday, 12:00-12:40

Join Zoom Meeting

Planing to be there, but I will have to decline on the dress as it does not show me to my best advantage.

:wink:

Regards
Paul

Aussiephil
18th September 2020, 02:40 PM
Thanks all for the insights into finishing products etc.

I've already ordered some bees wax and i'm sure that Dougs recipe is out there somewhere but hopefully he can share here as i didn't write it down.

The concrete sealer i was talking about is the solvent based version, my next door neighbor did plain sealed concrete flooring with his renovation and i got a couple litres from him to play with but haven't tried it on timber

doug3030
18th September 2020, 02:56 PM
... i'm sure that Dougs recipe is out there somewhere but hopefully he can share here as i didn't write it down.

1 Litre Pure Gum Turpentine
1 Litre Boiled Linseed Oil
qty of Beeswax

Grate beeswax and dissolve into the mixture of the other two components.
Start out with a lump about the size of a large egg.
If all that dissolves add a bit more until there is a small residue of undissolved beeswax in the bottom of the jar.
Stir or shake well before applying.
Apply thickly with a brush, rag or pour on and spread.
Apply several coats until it stops soaking in and pools on the surface
Let it soak in and wipe excess off with a cotton cloth.
Re-apply as required
Great for benches, tool handles, mallets, garden tools, metal items etc.

justonething
18th September 2020, 05:47 PM
This is the place (https://www.australianwaxco.com.au/productrange.html#waxOverview) where I got my wax products. Carbatec in springvalue gave me their name - It's on the same street, Osborne Avenue.

justonething
22nd September 2020, 03:53 PM
1 Litre Boiled Linseed Oil
qty of Beeswax

Grate beeswax and dissolve into the mixture of the other two components.
Start out with a lump about the size of a large egg.
If all that dissolves add a bit more until there is a small residue of undissolved beeswax in the bottom of the jar.
Stir or shake well before applying.
Apply thickly with a brush, rag or pour on and spread.
Apply several coats until it stops soaking in and pools on the surface
Let it soak in and wipe excess off with a cotton cloth.
Re-apply as required
Great for benches, tool handles, mallets, garden tools, metal items etc.

I think I arrived late, so I missed out when this was shared by Doug,
I'd like to know if this was a wax oil mixture and how long would it take to cure?

doug3030
22nd September 2020, 04:03 PM
I think I arrived late, so I missed out when this was shared by Doug,
I'd like to know if this was a wax oil mixture and how long would it take to cure?

Paul, it's a utility grade finish. Great for workbenches, tool handles, including gardening tools etc.
I used it on my shed stool, but I would probably not use it on any timber furniture that you would sit on in your going-out clothes.
Also good for bare metal. It works on my holdfasts.

I normally put it on thick, let it soak in for 24 hours then wipe it off and buff it up a bit. It still takes a couple of days to dry out.
After wiping it down I use the cloth for wiping over the metal items. Of course take the usual precautions with used oily cloths to prevent combustion.

Aussiephil
22nd September 2020, 05:27 PM

As i was waiting for my bees wax to arrive today i actually had to look up what pure gum turpentine actually was.... man that stuff has a bit of a reputation as one of the more nasty chemicals that we might generally use.... and this is from me who uses acetone for all sorts of things.

I mention it purely so anyone else not knowing much about will do their own due diligence on information.

I guess at least one key is use in a well ventilated area and don't sniff the fumes.

Cheers
Phil

doug3030
22nd September 2020, 06:03 PM
I mention it purely so anyone else not knowing much about will do their own due diligence on information.

I guess at least one key is use in a well ventilated area and don't sniff the fumes.

And if I haven't already mentioned ... do not use on cutting boards etc that are used for food preparation or consumption. :no:

You should only be using food-grade mineral oil on these things anyway.

justonething
22nd September 2020, 06:16 PM
Doug and Phil,
Have you used Limonene (https://bestbuytradesupplies.com.au/collections/organ-oil-products/products/organoil-citrus-terpene)? I think I'll use it as a substitute to gum turpentine. It dissolves wax quite readily and it smells nice and it's edible

doug3030
22nd September 2020, 06:20 PM
Doug and Phil,
Have you used Limonene (https://bestbuytradesupplies.com.au/collections/organ-oil-products/products/organoil-citrus-terpene)? I think I'll use it as a substitute. It dissolves wax quite readily and it smells nice and it's edible

Looks like it might be a good thing. Let me know how it goes.

Aussiephil
22nd September 2020, 06:37 PM
And if I haven't already mentioned ... do not use on cutting boards etc that are used for food preparation or consumption. :no:

You should only be using food-grade mineral oil on these things anyway.

I only use Parrafin Oil which was one of the recommendations from here many years ago for cutting boards and kitchen knife handles

Doug and Phil,
Have you used Limonene (https://bestbuytradesupplies.com.au/collections/organ-oil-products/products/organoil-citrus-terpene)? I think I'll use it as a substitute to gum turpentine. It dissolves wax quite readily and it smells nice and it's edible
umm, the product data sheet lists it as a poison in big red lettering so not sure i'm going to eat it.

some of the beeswax polish industry moved to standard mineral turps when the price of gum turpentine went through the roof a few years back ... so round one for me will see mineral turps used as the solvent as i have some on hand ...

I had read that acetone was a solvent for bees wax but it doesn't seem to work .... was keen to try it on some ABS parts :)

doug3030
22nd September 2020, 06:46 PM
some of the beeswax polish industry moved to standard mineral turps when the price of gum turpentine went through the roof a few years back ... so round one for me will see mineral turps used as the solvent as i have some on hand ...

That formula was given to me by my Grandfather. I vaguely recall there was a good reason for not using regular turps but I can't remember what it was.

Grandad passed away in 1986 so I can't ask him. Dad probably knew but he is 89 and not so good in the memory department. He thinks I am still in the Army but I have been out for a quarter of a century, so probably no point in asking him either.

Why not give it a try and see how it goes. Let me know how it turns out.

Aussiephil
22nd September 2020, 07:06 PM
i'd bet you 10:1 that the smell of mineral turps was a key negative... it seems less smelly these days than i remember it.

I found this article to be a interest Turpentine versus White Spirit in Beeswax Furniture Polish — and why it matters — Cambridge Traditional Products (https://cambridgetraditionalproducts.co.uk/blog/turpentine-versus-white-spirit-in-beeswax-furniture-polish)

justonething
22nd September 2020, 07:13 PM
That formula was given to me by my Grandfather. I vaguely recall there was a good reason for not using regular turps but I can't remember what it was.

I remember trying it out. I think turps create a suspension (like milk), but when dried, becomes a flaky mess. It gives a patchy spread when applied.
I also remember liquid paraffin; on the other hand, readily dissolve wax well (accelerated by heat).

LanceC
22nd September 2020, 08:25 PM
For what it's worth, my bees wax mix is just normal diggers brand turps, and it's been fine. But like I mentioned in the prattle, I've only been using it for a month or so, but my tool handles are very happy.

Bohdan
22nd September 2020, 10:21 PM
A brew that I found to be very good, especially on gun stocks, is equal parts beeswax, pine tree turps and raw linseed oil. Need to heat the brew to get it to mix and then I would apply it hot to timber that is warm, as on a hot summer's day leave it out in the sun.

LanceC
24th September 2020, 05:23 PM
Hi All,

It occurs to me that to date I have neglected power tools in our discussion. With that in mind, tomorrow's topic is about your favourite use for your electric router. Feel free to show jigs or examples of what you've used it for.

As always, any and all are welcome to join in, even if you don't have a power router.

Time: Friday 12:00-12:40 AEST

Join Zoom Meeting

Aussiephil
24th September 2020, 06:59 PM
Oh router use.... nice - how about all the bought but unused router bits that seem to breed themselves into existence ... i have a least one that i'm not sure how it is even used :)

i've started some experiments with the linseed/turps/beeswax and have kicked off a dedicated thread for it https://www.woodworkforums.com/f9/beeswax-linseed-turps-237520#post2209891

doug3030
24th September 2020, 07:10 PM
I will be there, hopefully on time but you never know.

Simplicity
24th September 2020, 07:24 PM
Will try to make this one.

Cheers Matt.

LanceC
24th September 2020, 07:31 PM
Will try to make this one.

Cheers Matt.I hope so. You will notice Matt that I dropped the "must wear pants" requirement so that you would once again feel able to join us. Just be sure to sit behind a desk/bench/table, and DON'T STAND UP! ;)

Simplicity
24th September 2020, 07:39 PM
I hope so. You will notice Matt that I dropped the "must wear pants" requirement so that you would once again feel able to join us. Just be sure to sit behind a desk/bench/table, and DON'T STAND UP! ;)

I hope Iím not being judged by how I dress my self :)

If Iím home, I will be sure to make sure we have a clean Table Cloth on.

Cheers Matt.

LanceC
1st October 2020, 10:30 AM
Hi All,

Unfortunately I will be travelling tomorrow, so unable to join the prattle. None the less, with the numbers we've been getting of late, I doubt you'll even realise I'm missing.

I'll leave it to one of you to suggest a topic. First in, best dressed. :)

Time: Friday 12:00 - 12:40 AEST

Join Zoom Meeting

justonething
1st October 2020, 10:40 AM
May I suggest furniture joining technique? M&T, domino, dovetail, dowel etc;

Aussiephil
1st October 2020, 10:53 AM

OK with me but what's furniture :)

Edit PS: of course we will miss Lance

Bushmiller
1st October 2020, 10:54 AM

JOT

That's a good topic. Unfortunately I too cannot make tomorrow or the following week, but I will look forward to hearing how the discussions go.

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
1st October 2020, 11:19 AM
I will again be 50/50 chance

But Furniture talk, who would have thought of that for chat around here.

Cheers Matt.

Aussiephil
2nd October 2020, 01:53 PM
What a fun prattle.

Pagie again got to show off a chainsaw..... with a mortising jig on it :)
I got to show of some more plastic stuff with dovetail joints

and i think the general agreement ended up that the best joinery was the one most appropriate for item being built, fine dovetails for an elegant jewelry box vs kreg screws for shop draws :)

Thanks to Lance for setting the meeting up.

oh that shop draw i showed off is 650mm deep, 740mm wide and 90mm high... think i'll make the rest just a bit narrower

Cheers
Phil

Pagie
2nd October 2020, 02:19 PM
Chainsaw joinery is about as delicate as I get. I am missing having some logs to play with. It was fun to be part of this talk. :bbq2:BBQ now.

justonething
2nd October 2020, 02:46 PM
Yes, it was quite a bit of fun.
We even have a half-decent discussion of joinery techniques.
Naturally, the polarising topic of pocket hole screws came up.
I mentioned I use pocket hole screws for attaching tabletops/bar stools tops to the rails. Thought I'll share a bit more on how I do it to take care of the issues of wood movement across grains.

For small tops, less than 600, all I do is two pocket holes along the grain. the top can move all it likes.
For larger tops, I tie a couple of battens to the rails with pocket hole screws, one round hole through each batten in the middle and a couple of slots in either side. Use my pocket hole screws to fasten the table. The table will move freely as well.

lyricnz
2nd October 2020, 04:09 PM
Damnit! Got stuck in a meeting, couldn't get away to join this!

Bushmiller
2nd October 2020, 04:58 PM
I was fast asleep, stuck in bed and couldn't get up.:yawn:

:rolleyes:

Good to hear it was a successful meeting albeit it without the anchor man. Can't make next week either so I will be counting on some feedback: A debriefing session?

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
2nd October 2020, 06:29 PM
I was fast asleep, stuck in bed and couldn't get up.:yawn:

:rolleyes:

Good to hear it was a successful meeting albeit it without the anchor man. Can't make next week either so I will be counting on some feedback: A debriefing session?

Regards
Paul

We could feel your presence Paul.

Cheers Matt.

BobL
2nd October 2020, 08:09 PM
I was making a picture frame for SWMBO. We've collected many prints etc in our travels and always said " Yes, I will frame it", but always had an excuse. In 2005 I built a bench with the excuse is that it will help me make picture frames. Then I bought/acquired machine after machine and in 2011 more than doubled the size of the shed more or less with the same excuse. A few weeks back I bought a SCMS with the same excuse and got the "look", "Really - you're still using that excuse?", I said, "honest - it will cut nice clean mitres" :D

Anyway, I thought I better make at least one frame. This one is for a print we bought in Japan in 1994. The new saw made it easy even though the final design doesn't even use mitres, so I added some angled cuts just to show I really used the saw.

Bushmiller
2nd October 2020, 10:35 PM
I was making a picture frame for SWMBO. We've collected many prints etc in our travels and always said " Yes, I will frame it", but always had an excuse. In 2005 I built a bench with the excuse is that it will help me make picture frames. Then I bought/acquired machine after machine and in 2011 more than doubled the size of the shed more or less with the same excuse. A few weeks back I bought a SCMS with the same excuse and got the "look", "Really - you're still using that excuse?", I said, "honest - it will cut nice clean mitres" :D

Anyway, I thought I better make at least one frame. This one is for a print we bought in Japan in 1994. The new saw made it easy even though the final design doesn't even use mitres, so I added some angled cuts just to show I really used the saw.

Bob

That is some excuse that has transcended to even the Friday Lunch Prattle! I must take some lessons from you.

:wink:

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
2nd October 2020, 10:41 PM
We could feel your presence Paul.

Cheers Matt.

:hmm:

Even with my brain switched off.

:sleep6:

Regards
Paul

yvan
3rd October 2020, 09:58 AM
Damnit! Got stuck in a meeting, couldn't get away to join this!

Next Friday !!!

Pagie
4th October 2020, 11:24 AM
I see what you mean, the top can move. :2tsup:

LanceC
8th October 2020, 02:24 PM
Hi All,

Tomorrow's topic will be all about bending wood. Whether steaming, laminating or just using your Popeye muscles and a box full of screws.

If you've not done any bending, you'll be in good company, so join to learn from those that have.

I look forward to catching up with you all again tomorrow after my absence last week. Paul, we will see you next week :C.

Time: Friday 12:00 to 12:40 AEDT

Join Zoom Meeting

doug3030
8th October 2020, 02:47 PM
Not sure about tomorrow, If I'm there, I'm there.

Simplicity
8th October 2020, 03:10 PM
Iím in,

Cheers Matt.
If you can bend an Ice cream stick does that count.

NCArcher
8th October 2020, 06:53 PM
I can bend wood with my mind. Especially after I've just resawed it. I've learnt that if you say "Don't you bend you b&£$%!d, don't you bloody bend on me" it will bend about 90% of the time.
I will try and be there tomorrow. Working from home.

Simplicity
8th October 2020, 07:04 PM
I can bend wood with my mind. Especially after I've just resawed it. I've learnt that if you say "Don't you bend you b&£$%!d, don't you bloody bend on me" it will bend about 90% of the time.
I will try and be there tomorrow. Working from home.

That there is a gift.

Pagie
8th October 2020, 09:21 PM
I have done a fair bit of steaming for chairs and boats. I should be there tomorrow.

LanceC
9th October 2020, 08:41 AM
Paige, I think youíre our resident wizard. Youíve been able to share good knowledge on nearly every topic weíve discussed.

Simplicity
9th October 2020, 09:07 AM
Paige, I think youíre our resident wizard. Youíve been able to share good knowledge on nearly every topic weíve discussed.

I reckon there might be a chainsaw involved lol

Pagie
9th October 2020, 10:24 AM
The ultimate woodworking tool.

Aussiephil
9th October 2020, 12:03 PM
have we been bitten by daylight saving? I have a message another meeting is in progress.

Pagie
9th October 2020, 12:11 PM
Me too I cant get on

Simplicity
9th October 2020, 12:49 PM
Good to catch up,everyone.
Tho connection seemed to be a issue this week.

Cheers Matt.

BobL
9th October 2020, 01:02 PM
Here's the picture frame I made.

The timber for the frame was scavenged from the stiffening pieces running through the polystyrene padding/packing from the dishwasher we bought recently.

Pagie
9th October 2020, 01:08 PM
So I got on to be abused by all for my Hat. Was a good fun meeting about steaming and welding. I think we need longer meetings. I don't know if we can do that. A steam bending video could be organized when I can clean my bench off.
482521This is a currach. With bent ribs.

Aussiephil
9th October 2020, 02:27 PM
Did Pagie have a hat on.... did miss seeing a chainsaw though :)
Thanks for the information
Couple of the multitude of links that turn up but caught my eye as a complete novice
Lots of pictures of forms etc in this one Steam Bending | WOOD Magazine (https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-how-to/wood-preparation/steam-bending)

The technical publications from State Forests NSW has a great table at the end for australian woods and their suitability
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/390293/The-Bending-of-Timber.pdf

oh and for the nearly compulsory 3D print tie in .... you could actually print forming sections with some of the high temperature plastics that are available :)

And here is a multi curved print that might interest BobL actually, it's a dust chute for the SCMS that i actually got the measurements close but not close enough... forgot the blade on ine is not centred on the blade dust collector

Bushmiller
9th October 2020, 04:43 PM
Looks like I missed a good one. I will be there next week.

Regards
Paul

yvan
11th October 2020, 09:04 AM
Sorry I missed last Friday's Prattle.

I was otherwise occupied by attending the local auction where my attention had been drawn to 3 lots of hand tools: a set of brace and a comprehensive set of bits, a bucket (literally!) of some 15 Titan chisels & 3 boxes of assorted hand tools, including a variety of hammers etc.
Well, I missed on all three as the bidding had gone above what I thought was fair value.

I was mostly interested in the chisels which were is fairly poor condition. Just about all of them had damaged handles and some had rusty blades...

Fortunately all wasn't lost: I went home with another lot I hadn't even spotted: a Dawn 4 1/2 SP engineer's vise in good nick, with very little rust that I can see!

Sorry Chaps, I'm off the the Metalwork Forum for some valuable advice on vise restoration !!!

Cheers Yvan

Pagie
11th October 2020, 10:13 AM
Yvan, I wish we in jail down here could go to auctions and markets where we could buy things we don't need. See you next week.

Bushmiller
11th October 2020, 01:21 PM
So I got on to be abused by all for my Hat. Was a good fun meeting about steaming and welding. I think we need longer meetings. I don't know if we can do that. A steam bending video could be organized when I can clean my bench off.
482521This is a currach. With bent ribs.

Pagie

Seeing your currach reminded me of a time long ago when I accompanied a bloke to pick up a coracle, the Welsh boat that is either round or nearly round and paddled with a single oar worked in a figure of eight pattern.

Regards
Paul

Pagie
14th October 2020, 09:06 PM
So what are we going to decide to put our knowledge to this week?
Sharpening, carving, clamping, hardening steel. Something else?
:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::drink2:

Simplicity
15th October 2020, 10:15 AM
How about virtual shed tours ?

Cheers Matt.

Bushmiller
15th October 2020, 10:54 AM
How about virtual shed tours ?

Cheers Matt.

:oo:

Luckily I only use a desktop. No wheels, although arguably I could use one with training wheels, but not for mobility. :wink:

Regards
Paul