PDA

View Full Version : Sharpen an Irwin speedbor Auger drill bit?

pedrogb
10th May 2020, 07:13 PM
Hi all
Has anyone any experience in sharpening these bits
Irwin 16mm Speedbor Auger Drill Bit | Bunnings Warehouse (https://www.bunnings.com.au/irwin-16mm-speedbor-auger-drill-bit_p6350030)
Just asking, have been drilling out some mortises in Ironbark, I only have one, it seems ok, but it might need a touch up.
I had a look online but can't see any videos.
I have a couple of mortises to go, might have a look tonight (keep the red wine monster away) and see if it something achievable.
Pedro

riverbuilder
10th May 2020, 07:59 PM
I sharpened a few for my electrician mate, just used the little ozito electric chain saw chain sharpener, nothing special just made a little plywood jig to hold them, worked well. Don’t damage the drawing point or the bit won’t be much good.

pedrogb
10th May 2020, 08:03 PM
I just had a go with a little half round file that fits perfectly into the cutting slot. It seems pretty good. I think it will get me through. Thanks for the response.

Beardy
10th May 2020, 08:18 PM
As an aside
I recently make a number of trusses out of F27 KD blackbutt and had to drill a couple of hundred 16mm holes 45 deep and the speedbors actually performed better in the hardwood than the auger bits
I experimented with various brands and types and the P&N speedbors were the most efficient

pedrogb
10th May 2020, 10:09 PM
I'll look for them. The irwin one is surprisingly good as well