PDA

View Full Version : Resin and olive burl

smiife
10th May 2020, 08:36 PM
Hi guys , this is a resin and olive burl blank I started on today , I had a glue block on it which didn't work out to well , it fell off without even starting the lathe :o
So I used my vacuum Chuck which worked very well
Just finished the back of the platter, polished up really nice so far !

powderpost
11th May 2020, 10:07 PM
Hi Smiife,

I like the idea but those sawn edges on one side with the natural edge on the other side spoils it. Easy to be wise after the event, but I would have preferred to random cut where the sawn edges are then burnt that edge to match the natural edge.

Good choice of lathe too... :D

Jim

smiife
12th May 2020, 09:22 PM
Hi Smiife,

I like the idea but those sawn edges on one side with the natural edge on the other side spoils it. Easy to be wise after the event, but I would have preferred to random cut where the sawn edges are then burnt that edge to match the natural edge.

Good choice of lathe too... :D

Jim

Hi Jim, yeah , when I looked at the blank I thought the same thing,
So I made that the bottom of the platter and just turned the sharp
edges away , you will notice the bottom of the platter has the natural edge......
By the way what is your lathe / lathes ?

powderpost
12th May 2020, 09:25 PM
Hi Jim, yeah , when I looked at the blank I thought the same thing,
So I made that the bottom of the platter and just turned the sharp
edges away , you will notice the bottom of the platter has the natural edge......
By the way what is your lathe / lathes ?

Three Woodfasts and a hybrid made up of a Teknatool headstock and a Woodfast tailstock, I use for oval turning.

Jim

Hardenfast
17th May 2020, 10:45 AM
Looking good Smiife. I intend to have a bit of a play with some resin when I eventually get back to some turning time. It seems to be awfully messy. I'm assuming it's not recyclable or compostible as your general shavings are?

smiife
17th May 2020, 08:02 PM
Finally finished, that was hard work , after a minor hiccup :U:U:U:U:U

aarggh
7th June 2020, 11:14 AM
Fantastic work, looks great!

I'm curious how the resin bits blew off, what tool were you using at the time and was it just a wrong angle approach?

I've seen for resin work a negative rake scraper seems to be recommended, if you want to mortgage your kidneys that is! The cutters are ridiculously expensive.

tony_A
7th June 2020, 07:20 PM
Really nice piece smiife, gotta be pleased with that. I also had mixed feelings about the initial photos but should have known you'd sort it by the time it was finished. Great finish as usual.

smiife
7th June 2020, 08:18 PM
Fantastic work, looks great!

I'm curious how the resin bits blew off, what tool were you using at the time and was it just a wrong angle approach?

I've seen for resin work a negative rake scraper seems to be recommended, if you want to mortgage your kidneys that is! The cutters are ridiculously expensive.

Yeah , the neg rake scraper worked the best I think , things went wrong when I was interrupted by someone who shall remain nameless came into the shed and started to clean up with the air line and scared the crap out of me .......hence the bowl gouge I was using at the time went through the edge of the blank.........it was a scary moment but all finished off ok !

Really nice piece smiife, gotta be pleased with that. I also had mixed feelings about the initial photos but should have known you'd sort it by the time it was finished. Great finish as usual.

Thanks for your comments and thoughts mate! :cool::2tsup::2tsup:

Nubsnstubs
8th June 2020, 12:41 AM
Yeah , the neg rake scraper worked the best I think , things went wrong when I was interrupted by someone who shall remain nameless came into the shed and started to clean up with the air line and scared the crap out of me .......hence the bowl gouge I was using at the time went through the edge of the blank.........it was a scary moment but all finished off ok !

Thanks for your comments and thoughts mate! :cool::2tsup::2tsup:

Ooohhhh, so you soiled your knickers, huh? I'm very fortunate that I don't get startled, otherwise I'd be saying what you said. At least your piece finished out good. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

dai sensei
8th June 2020, 01:17 PM
Turned out beautiful in the end thank goodness :2tsup:

I whole new set of skills on approach techniques and often tools themselves for turning hybrids. You certainly get lots of practice at sharpening :rolleyes:. It is much harder to turn a hybrid than turning just wood. Even after turning them for many years you can still have a disaster, all it takes is a fault in the timber or the resin, or the tool not razor sharp and bang :oo:. It's very unforgiving :C

smiife
8th June 2020, 08:57 PM
Ooohhhh, so you soiled your knickers, huh? I'm very fortunate that I don't get startled, otherwise I'd be saying what you said. At least your piece finished out good. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Hi Jerry, thanks for your thoughts mate, :U

Turned out beautiful in the end thank goodness :2tsup:

I whole new set of skills on approach techniques and often tools themselves for turning hybrids. You certainly get lots of practice at sharpening :rolleyes:. It is much harder to turn a hybrid than turning just wood. Even after turning them for many years you can still have a disaster, all it takes is a fault in the timber or the resin, or the tool not razor sharp and bang :oo:. It's very unforgiving :C

Hi Neil, yeah , it turned out ok in the end , like you say it,s very different than turning timber !:2tsup::2tsup: