PDA

View Full Version : Checking hull for leaks

csp
10th November 2005, 02:22 PM
This may seem like a wierd question but here goes. I am currently beginning a project to restore a Hartley. My problem is I have never had it in the water and don't know if there is any leaks in the hull. Is it possible to fill the boat with 6 inches of water and check for leaks. Has anybody used this process to investigate for leaks before?

Waiting for information filled and abuse filled responses.

csp

Gumby
10th November 2005, 06:24 PM
Does it have buoyancy tanks ? I can't remeber if Hartley's do or not. You can use a vacuum on reverse to blow air in them through the inspection port and run some soapy water around the outside to check for escaping air. If you do this, leave a gap in the port for some of the air to get out as well. You don't want to blow it up.

If there's no tanks then just fix up what you can, take it down to the beach. Stick it in the water and go home. Come back next day. If it's still floating then there's no leaks. If it's gone, it had a leak or was stolen. Report the matter to the Police. If it doesn't turn up in a few weeks, then it must have sunk. Go back to the beach, hire some underwater gear and go swimming. If you find it, check for any tresure (wrecks always have treasure).

If you can't swim, hire one of those boats like they had to find the Titanic. Then you can see your boat on TV. Contact National Geographic and they can do a doco. You'' make a fortune.

See, it's easy. :D

(But you could try putting some water in it as well. may be less trouble.)

bitingmidge
10th November 2005, 06:34 PM
6" of water won't work if the leak is 7" above the waterline.

Stopping the hull leaking is a very good place to start with a boat, but out of all the boats I've owned, pretty much all of the leaks came from deck hardware, hatches, cracks at the gunwhale joint, and anywhere else.

Why don't you launch it, and see if your slippers get wet? If they do, it leaks.

Cheers,

P (always get the dog to sleep on the floor, he'll wake you when he gets wet.)

:D :D

scottyk
10th November 2005, 07:34 PM
Filling a hull with water can put more than a full ton of water in the hull before it even got to the 6" of hieght. Thats a ton more that your that the boat weighs on the trailer, all bearing down on the keel........not something I would risk!:eek: . If you go for the water on the inside method then tilt the trailer up make sure the bungs are out and the hose the bildge and have some one inspect for leaks. Most of the Hartley's leak around the bung and the center board case (if its got one).
Just be very carefull putting that much weight in your boat though.

Or just take a good bucket and fritenned man out with you on the water, they say they are the fastest bildge pump in the world.

Termite
10th November 2005, 07:37 PM
Filling a hull with water can put more than a full ton of water in the hull before it even got to the 6" of hieght. Thats a ton more that your that the boat weighs on the trailer, all bearing down on the keel........not something I would risk!:eek: . If you go for the water on the inside method then tilt the trailer up make sure the bungs are out and the hose the bildge and have some one inspect for leaks. Most of the Hartley's leak around the bung and the center board case (if its got one).
Just be very carefull putting that much weight in your boat though.

Or just take a good bucket and fritenned man out with you on the water, they say they are the fastest bildge pump in the world.
As well as the above, if you fill it up with water it will sink.:rolleyes:

csp
10th November 2005, 11:09 PM
thanks scotty. you have talked me out of filling it with water. safer to take it to the lakes and put it in the water and check. Once again thanks for the good advice, I suppose that's what these forums are for!

csp