PDA

View Full Version : New lathe, new shop

Redbeard
23rd May 2020, 06:07 PM
New lathe to play with in the new workshop (garage).

First job, replace the crappy rubber handles with wooden ones.

Work in progress but getting there.

Cheers
Redbeardhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200523/e035313d4e18bb8f8361e3cfc037ee5b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200523/d25e0d1a6807813181f3aaf711eb43ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

doragus
23rd May 2020, 06:52 PM
I've had my Hafco for over a year now and I'm very happy with it except...I hate those damn rubber handles. I have been meaning to replace them sice day one and you have now shamed me into a replacement program. Enjoy the lathe.

Redbeard
23rd May 2020, 07:00 PM
I've had my Hafco for over a year now and I'm very happy with it except...I hate those damn rubber handles. I have been meaning to replace them sice day one and you have now shamed me into a replacement program. Enjoy the lathe.This is actually my second Hafco lathe. The first was replaced under warranty. The wooden handles are so much better. Whatever size and fit you desire. Just be aware the metal handles are different diameters.

artful bodger
23rd May 2020, 07:52 PM
Good stuff.
That live centre on the tailstock looks the business.

Redbeard
24th May 2020, 08:47 AM
Good stuff.
That live centre on the tailstock looks the business.That's what comes with the lathe. It's a pretty chunky unit but at least it's got some good sized bearings.

yvan
24th May 2020, 10:02 AM
Readbeard,

The DC unit in the corner of your workshop intrigues me, particularly because of its size which would suit my own small workshop!
Can you enlighten me please?

Cheers Yvan

Redbeard
24th May 2020, 09:21 PM
Readbeard,

The DC unit in the corner of your workshop intrigues me, particularly because of its size which would suit my own small workshop!
Can you enlighten me please?

Cheers YvanYvan

It's a Hare & Forbes DC-2. It's only a 1hp unit so it's really a bit underpowered for most uses. I'm using it as a stop gap before I can get a 2hp unit. The 2hp unit has only a slightly bigger footprint but much better air flow. Plus there's a whole thread pinned in the Dust Collector forum about how to tweak the 2hp jobbie for much better performance.