PDA

View Full Version : Segmented piece

Corrie
28th May 2020, 10:29 AM
Hi there, I finished my first segmented bowl down to a smooth finish, however a couple of weeks later I can just feel the glued joints. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Corrie

orraloon
28th May 2020, 12:00 PM
It called glue creep. The wood blocks move at differing rates and the elasticity of the glue allows movement. PVA is bad for it. Pity as its a nice looking bowl. Try letting it season inside for a few months then resand and finish again. You may get away with it but it may also do it again. You are not the first with this problem.
Regards
John

Picko
28th May 2020, 12:06 PM
Nice work, I particularly like the finish.
The movement in the glued joints is commonly known as glue creep. I found that I had less of this when I started using a cross linked PVA. There are many people here that swear by one or more of the Tite Bond adhesives so I'll leave it to them to be more specific. The PVA I use is the yellow one made for MDF, and I don't get creep with it.

Cheers
John

Corrie
28th May 2020, 01:48 PM
Thanks for that. If it is only the type of glue I have used then that is an easy fix. What is the name of the glue you use? I used gorilla wood glue and normally I would use Tite bond but I haven't any at the moment and none of the local stores keep it in stock. Thanks again Corrie

Corrie
28th May 2020, 01:50 PM
Thanks John. What glue do you use? Corrie

Picko
28th May 2020, 04:03 PM
This one.

Corrie
28th May 2020, 05:55 PM
Thank you, will try to get some. Happy turning. Corrie

gidgee 1
28th May 2020, 06:11 PM
What finish did you use on the bowl?
Cheers
gidgee 1

powderpost
28th May 2020, 08:15 PM
Hi there, I finished my first segmented bowl down to a smooth finish, however a couple of weeks later I can just feel the glued joints. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Corrie

Hi Corrie,
I use Aquadhere exterior and I have done the odd segmented job as well. It is cross linked, quick setting and dries clear. I used aguadhere interior and found, as you just did, the glue joints can be felt after a week or two. Don't be concerned the glue will settle down and you can sand the bowl again. You would have found the glue was a bit "rubbery" when you first started, that is normal.
Aquadhere exterior dries a bit harder and won't show up the joints after polishing. Titebond gets a lot of comment, but I find it a bit too thick for segmenting. It is made in America and is possibly a bit old by the time we get it here
Good job too by the way.. :2tsup:

Jim

Corrie
29th May 2020, 06:06 AM
Hi Gidgee, I put a few coats of orange oil on it. Was suppose to be a salad bowl for us but it is a bit big for my needs. Corrie

Picko
29th May 2020, 08:10 AM
I have done the odd segmented job as well.

Jim

Understatement of 2020 there :), from the laminating guru.

gidgee 1
29th May 2020, 06:12 PM
Hi Corrie
Thanks for the reply. I have found that some finishes affect the glue line.
Cheers
Gidgee 1