PDA

View Full Version : woodturning

june01
16th April 2001, 09:40 PM
Woodturner Hi - It is my intention to assist any person with woodturning problems they may have. like some free info? If so , Please send me an E-mail
Norm

John Saxton
17th April 2001, 08:32 PM
Hi Norm,welcome to the good ol'Oz and U-Beaut BB.
Most considerate of you to offer your help here on BB and it goes without saying that we are all here to learn from one another.
We all need a little help from time to time and this is just one of many avenues open to all where we can do just that by providing thru our own experiences perhaps some way out of somebody's else's problems.
There is a lot of untapped knowledge out there that this BB provides a means for all of us to tap into.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Jeff
18th April 2001, 01:39 PM
Hi. How do I make the shaving thingies jump directly into the waste can?

------------------
"Always cutting corners...!"

John Saxton
18th April 2001, 08:37 PM
Suck and see...get yourself a decent dust extractor.
The one I have has no problems handling shavins' etc.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

ubeaut
20th April 2001, 02:36 PM
Norm - This Bulletin Board is the ideal venue for you to help people. I am sure that most members and visiters to this site would prefer it if your help was given here, where thousands may view it. Rather than in a one on one situation via e-mail where the benefits of your help only go to one.

This BB is meant for the good of all. If you have knowlege to pass on then this is the place to do it. Let all benefit not just the odd one or two.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif
CLICK HERE FOR MORE (http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000207.html)

whetstone
10th May 2001, 09:35 AM
I am intrigued by the reaction to Norm's offer to help with woodturning problems. I discovered yesterday just who is making the offer. Norm, as few of you would know, is a professional woodturner who has been turning now for 64 years, so he has a wealth of knowledge to share with anyone interested. He is a master of the skew chisel and has demonstrated at woodturning shows across Australia - many of you may have seen him demonstrating for Record lathes at the Working with Wood shows until a few years ago. He is also a thorough gentleman and I am sure his offer was made for us all to benefit. The impression I get is that this forum is used as a channel for 'humour' rather than for genuine ideas for improvement in the craft. This impression was reinforced by the response to the request for wooden eggs - does this mean that no-one using this site is able to make them to the required standard ? Perhaps Norm can help with this one !!
Originally posted by ubeaut:
Norm - This Bulletin Board is the ideal venue for you to help people. I am sure that most members and visiters to this site would prefer it if your help was given here, where thousands may view it. Rather than in a one on one situation via e-mail where the benefits of your help only go to one.

This BB is meant for the good of all. If you have knowlege to pass on then this is the place to do it. Let all benefit not just the odd one or two.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif
CLICK HERE FOR MORE (http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000207.html)

------------------

Shane Watson
10th May 2001, 11:45 AM
Whetstone,

Norms offer to help is invaluable to all! Like most regular contributors to this bulletin board he is a professional with a highly recognised background. I myself am young, so don't have the experience that only age can bring, but I do have excellent qualifications and awards to my name. This does not make me better nor more of an important contributor to this BB. But an offer to help by one person in the form of email is really a slap in the face to all other contributors.
No qualification can improve unpon the friendships I have found here. Most I have not met, and will probably not meet, but I have had the pleasure of meeting U & Beaut ( Neil & Pauline ) And it is clear that they both have a love of working wood and an even greater love of sharing there knowledge and a bringing together of woodies from everywhere ( otherwise this BB wouldn't exist ). Thats what this BB is about. Sure, ask questions and you will get an answer, if someone reads it that knows an answer, and yes no doubt there may be some comical relief as well. Isn't that what Australians are renowned for? I also regualarly visit BB's from around the world and it amazes me the amount of arguing and slanging that goes on. Something I am proud to say very rarly has happened on this BB.
With around 95'000 visitors to this BB every month, I find it hard to imagine everyone can relate to our humor, but the day this BB loses its unique Australian sense of humor will surly hearld the beginning of yet another boring lifeless BB. But to insinuate that this BB only promotes humor is ridiculas. Thousands of problems have been solved by the good folk here. Ideas do get exchanged regualarly and many people will have improved there own skills from ideas and suggestions posted here. This will continue as will the humor. Feel free to jump in!

Cheers...

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

RETIRED
10th May 2001, 01:09 PM
Gooday.
To Whetstone
I have deliberately not entered into this discussion because Neil was handling it directly with Norm via email and phone calls.

I can only second what Shane has said, and I am sure that if you read the whole board from when it started over 12 months ago you would find that there is more helpful answers than humurous ones.

I would like to think that most Woodies have a good (if even warped)sense of humour and that it is taken in the vein in which it is meant.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Jeff
29th May 2001, 01:13 AM
OK, let me set this straight. I have total respect for all persons turning wood, especially for those whose experience exceeds mine. In regard to getting the shavings in to the wastecan, it is kinda a common aside or comraderie-between-turners sort of jest. If any offense was taken, well, lighten up. This bulletin board is a tremendous source of useful information AND a place for turners to let it hang out a bit it seems.

------------------
"Always cutting corners...!"

Woodchuck2
29th May 2001, 10:10 AM
"Laugh and the world laughs with you...."
Most of us remember the more humorous incidents in our lives whereas the boring or serious ones (with some obvious exceptions) are usually pushed to the backburners of our minds. Learning experiences mixed with humour are powerful stuff for future reference. The stuff I have learnt from this bulletin board is a prime example as it is stuff I doubt I would have picked up elsewhere and certainly not in such an interesting way.
Any unique Aussie approach gladdens my heart in our copycat world of Americanisms so keep it up you blokes (and sheilas!)
Cheer,
Woodchuck

------------------
Woodchuck