PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your stuff-ups?

AlexS
11th November 2005, 05:12 PM
Ok, most of us make the occasional stuff-up. What do you do with yours?

Termite
11th November 2005, 05:22 PM
As I've mentioned before, "I have a stuff up on every job". If it's minor I carry on, if it's major I swear my head off and start again.

Wood Borer
11th November 2005, 05:30 PM
I recycle my major stuff ups through the bandsaw to recycle the timber and to let off a bit of steam. The less major stuff ups I call masterpieces.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th November 2005, 05:39 PM
Stuff-ups? We don't haf no steenkin' stuff-ups! It's called "added character."

Of course, if the customer doesn't like it, he can either wait 'til v2.0 or pay for an update patch. :D

Driver
11th November 2005, 05:41 PM
I'm almost relieved when I have made the inevitable stuff-up. It takes away some of the pressure.

The issue then arises: is the stuff-up a job-wrecker or is it a blemish which can be considered acceptable?

I've never completed a job yet without a stuff-up. Not one.

Termite
11th November 2005, 06:06 PM
I'm almost relieved when I have made the inevitable stuff-up. It takes away some of the pressure.

The issue then arises: is the stuff-up a job-wrecker or is it a blemish which can be considered acceptable?

I've never completed a job yet without a stuff-up. Not one.
I think I wrote words to this effect some time ago Driver. Have we added plagiarism to our misdeeds or are we just like minded.:D

DPB
11th November 2005, 06:17 PM
I voted for the bandsaw option, but in fact I haven't got the heart to cut them up yet. So the big ones as just sitting in my shed awaiting execution!:D

Driver
11th November 2005, 06:38 PM
I think I wrote words to this effect some time ago Driver. Have we added plagiarism to our misdeeds or are we just like minded.:D

Now I think about it, I seem to recall that I have read words of a like nature on a previous occasion. ;)

:o What can I say? You don't get to be Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover without a refined ability to pinch other people's good ideas. :D

Bodgy
11th November 2005, 06:55 PM
They're not stuff ups they're features in fine colonial cabinetry. The adze slipped.

Auld Bassoon
11th November 2005, 07:12 PM
Occasional? Occasional? - more like habitualhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon11.gif

As others have said, if it's minor, only I'll probably notice; if it's a bit more serious - try and hide ithttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif but if it's a major boo-boo, that that piece gets recycled while I practice my Arabic :eek:

Cheers!

LineLefty
11th November 2005, 07:32 PM
I have a genuine indonesian hardwood buffet that we mistakenly bought for $500. P.O.S It has a sticker on it that says something like:

"This product is HANDMADE, buy woodcraft artisans. The piece has been designed to develop splits, cracks, and other imperfections which will give it a wonderfull ANTIQUE character".

Read: Yes we know its a P.O.S. If it warps and splits its beause its made for 1000rupes from tropical timber that was cut yesterday. Dont bring it back when it bows like a banana, you wont get your money back.

Seriously though my stuff ups tends to get sanded, finieshed and put to good use :)

craigb
11th November 2005, 07:41 PM
It depends on how big a stuff up it is. As alluded to by Carruthers of the Yard :D

If it's just a "blemish" :rolleyes: well then it adds to the character dunnit?

If it's major, well then it goes into the "that piece of wood is too good to throw out" pile :rolleyes:

Kev Y.
11th November 2005, 09:15 PM
I burn mine, that way no-one can accuse me of a faulty job !

Toggy
11th November 2005, 09:54 PM
They grrew up & left home. Parenthood!! hardest job in the world. Ken

Wongo
11th November 2005, 11:04 PM
I change my design all the time. Oh! you call that a stuff-up?:cool:

JohnM
12th November 2005, 12:04 AM
I like to have a stuff-up in a job that only I know is there. It keeps me humble without others being able to see how really stupid I have been:o

Waldo
12th November 2005, 12:51 AM
G'day,

I'm in the ranks of those that have a stuff up with every thing.

But maybe what I call a stuff up to someone goes un-noticed. But every time you walk past that job you stuffed up in the shed, no matter how insignificant it might be, it jumps out and you and shouts out, "Haha you stuffed up, you stuffed up!"

Some I patch up, others get thown in the bin and some get the renovatiion rescue job.

dai sensei
12th November 2005, 09:03 AM
No matter how much I plan, double measure, check and double check, I still stuff up all the time. Some I fix (like photos), others I change the design to suit the stuff up, the rest are firewood.

Iain
12th November 2005, 09:42 AM
I don't make stuff ups, I do have R&D and prototypes though:rolleyes:

Groggy
12th November 2005, 09:47 AM
Like Iain, I occasionally make a prototype part way through a run, say number 7 or 9. :o

I also have an obligation to provide a suitable quantity of kindling and fire starting material for winter. ;)

outback
12th November 2005, 04:44 PM
I prefer to call them
"Strategic opportunities presented in a timely fashion, which allow a redesign phase to be incorporated into the manufacturing process at precisely the correct juncture, leading to an overall enhancement and modernisation of the article in question."

Sounds so much better than stuff ups, don't you think?

rick_rine
12th November 2005, 10:28 PM
As I've mentioned before, "I have a stuff up on every job". If it's minor I carry on, if it's major I swear my head off and start again.

I have to agree Termite , driver and Neil . No job is perfect . The main thing is don't point out your mistakes to friends and relo's . They won't see them if you don't point them out .

Auld Bassoon
12th November 2005, 10:43 PM
Hi Neil!

I din't see it at first - but I guess the lucky new owner of the jar would spot a missing letter in a flash!:eek:

Not sure how you could get out of that one:D

Cheers!

BTW nice looking wee jars!

Iain
13th November 2005, 07:44 AM
BTW nice looking wee jars!
They don't look anything like specimen bottles:p

tameriska
27th August 2006, 12:20 AM
Chop it up and use as kindling for the wood stove

Doughboy
27th August 2006, 01:41 AM
Hmm stuff ups...

Well I got plenty of things I have made that have ''evolved'' into what they turn out to be. So yeah I stuff up but I also seem to be able to salvage them enough for it still to be useful.

I was once told the difference between a good chef and a great chef is one who can make mistakes so they are not noticable. After 21 years cooking I have to agree....

Pete

Cliff Rogers
27th August 2006, 02:01 PM
If it is beyond redemption, see The Code of Practice 5.13.3 ;)

Auld Bassoon
27th August 2006, 08:47 PM
Don't give the customer any detailed design plans until the piece is finished :D

Bob38S
28th August 2006, 10:54 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah Sh** -
re-measure
check
look skywards
plot a fix
have a coffee
have a cigar
have a beer
have a rum
swear a lot more
have another beer
have another rum
have another cigar

Does it really look that bad?
Will anyone notice?

swear a lot more
have another beer
have another rum
have another cigar

close the shed

and tomorrow

................start again

Studley 2436
28th August 2006, 11:26 AM
Geeze it depends what sort of stuff up it is. Like maybe a mortise isn't in just the right spot but you can fudge a bit on the tenon so it makes adjustment.

My stuff ups mostly I think how can I cover that up and get away with it like that

Studley

Iain
28th August 2006, 11:50 AM
I was once told the difference between a good chef and a great chef is one who can make mistakes so they are not noticable. After 21 years cooking I have to agree....

Pete
I have a book by a famous French chef (name eludes me at the moment but he is long gone) who quoted a stuff up on a luxury liner, the fried chicken was overcooked, sacre bleu, it is now presented for lunch as 'Chicken American'.

John Saxton
28th August 2006, 09:39 PM
Things happen for a reason,for every action there's a reaction so if there's a stuff up it might become a new design or new project..never wasted ...rather a learning course one can only hope;)

Cheers:)

Cliff Rogers
30th August 2006, 11:39 PM
The Code.... section 7.3 :D

Honorary Bloke
31st August 2006, 07:00 AM
I say why limit yourself to only one stuff-up per project? I try to have two or three good ones by the end of the build, usually topping it off by stuffing up the finish somehow.:D That's why most of my projects are up against a wall and not out in the middle of the room.;)

savage
31st August 2006, 11:49 PM
I am currently working on a stuff-up the in the end it will be a unit for my home theater system!...:rolleyes: If not a really weird looking bookcase!....:eek:

Sculptured Box
27th September 2006, 10:16 PM
a stuff up is an opportunity for innovation - there are no mistakes, only opportunities for innovation!

sea dragon
27th September 2006, 10:37 PM
It used to be said:
1. Doctors buried their mistakes;
2. Lawyers were sued by their mistakes; and
3. Architects grow ivy over theirs.

ernknot
28th September 2006, 08:33 PM
It used to be said:
Yes, and woodworkers turn theirs into kindling and sawdust.

Ashore
28th September 2006, 08:39 PM
Mine go into a box to be recycled into yet new stuffups :rolleyes:

RufflyRustic
29th September 2006, 09:59 AM
Some are finishable and become lessons in what not to do.
Others sit on the shelf in the shed until I can either figure out how to fix it or if they are really nice, they disappear quietly when I'm not looking:rolleyes:

cheers
Wendy

Ivan in Oz
29th September 2006, 10:29 AM
Mine become Firewood,
but now that it is Summer;
I shan't make any [MORE] Stuff-Ups;) ;) :D

Do NOT need the Fire going:(

Bleedin Thumb
29th September 2006, 12:03 PM
It used to be said:

In a past life I was a barman so I would add

4. Barmen drink their mistakes.

On a busy Friday night the more mistakes you would make ..the more mistakes you would make...etc etc.;)

Stringy
5th October 2006, 10:11 PM
I have a wood heater and there is always a fine line between fire wood and furniture with character.

Although all of my furniture is made from timber that has been saved from being firewood in the first place:) .