PDA

View Full Version : Wood Moisture Meters Calibrated to Australian Species

wayne's wood
3rd June 2020, 09:09 PM
Hi, just checking for recommendations for any suppliers of a good quality moisture meter calibrated for Australian timbers? Also pros and cons of the two types of meters. Thanks

RSD
5th June 2020, 11:14 AM
I'm interested in finding out the same - or at least what moisture meter people use and recommend?

wayne's wood
5th June 2020, 02:10 PM
After further searching I bought a meter from Bang (Ben) Hoang of Instrument Choice, but it is on backorder so I can't comment on the product at this stage. It's a pin-type moisture meter for wood and building materials and costs just over $200.00 (including GST) with postage on top. While the meter is not calibrated for Australian timber species, Bang provided a 4-page conversion chart as well.

RSD
5th June 2020, 04:44 PM
After further searching I bought a meter from Bang (Ben) Hoang of Instrument Choice, but it is on backorder so I can't comment on the product at this stage. It's a pin-type moisture meter for wood and building materials and costs just over $200.00 (including GST) with postage on top. While the meter is not calibrated for Australian timber species, Bang provided a 4-page conversion chart as well.
Do you have any information on the make and model etc? I'm talking to Ben but he isn't sure which model it is that I'm asking about?

wayne's wood
5th June 2020, 05:00 PM
The details I have are as follows:

Moisture Meter for Wood & Building Materials - 0560-6060

Product Code: 0560-6060

Lappa
5th June 2020, 05:28 PM
Link to above moisture meter

testo 606-1 - Material Moisture Meter | Building moisture | Drying | Buildings & construction - Structual defects and building quality | Buildings & construction | Applications | Testo Australia (https://www.testo.com/en-AU/testo-606-1/p/0560-6060)

Sold also by RS-online.

wayne's wood
5th June 2020, 05:36 PM
Good to know......

RSD
5th June 2020, 09:02 PM
Cheers for the replies everyone!

BobL
5th June 2020, 09:22 PM
Link to above moisture meter

testo 606-1 - Material Moisture Meter | Building moisture | Drying | Buildings & construction - Structual defects and building quality | Buildings & construction | Applications | Testo Australia (https://www.testo.com/en-AU/testo-606-1/p/0560-6060)

Sold also by RS-online.

That's a good meter but in only come calibrated for european/NA timbers
Characteristic curves for precise wood moisture measurements:
| Beech | Spruce | Larch | Oak | Pine | Maple |

Back in 2003 the Australian Gove published a 91 page document called
The use of hand-held electrical moisture meters with commercially important Australian hardwoods
By Forest & Wood Products Research & Development Corporation

It contains lots of detail about how to perform accurately measurements and how to correct for things like some species, density and temperature.
The meters tested were

Meter Brand

Model

Type

Supplier/Distributor

BES Bollmann

Combo 100

Resistance

Regal Services

Carrel and Carrel

C901

Resistance

Carrel and Carrel Ltd

Delmhorst

J2000

Resistance

The Moisture Meter Company Pty Ltd

Deltron

DCR 22

Resistance

Deltron Moisture Meters

Electrophysics

MT 700, CT808

Resistance, Dielectric

J.A.S. Instruments

Kett

MT 700,
MOCO 2 HM530

Resistance, Dielectric

Agelec Enterprises

Merlin

HM8 WS25HD, PM 1-E

Dielectric

Hawleys Pty Ltd

Protimeter

Timbermaster

Resistance

PCWI International Pty Ltd

Wagner

MMI 1100

Dielectric

The Moisture Meter Company Pty Ltd

Only about a dozen common trees were tested (including Blackbut, jarrah, Blue gum, Vic ash, Tas Oak, spotted gum, red gum)
To give you an idea of the range of readings for Jarrah at 15% actual dryness these meters read anywhere from 15 to 21%

If you download you'll see it gets real technical real quick.

I have a cheap resistance meter I bought it from Dick Smith about 20 years ago. I hardly ever compare dryness of timber type A with Timber type B. Usually I'm comparing Different areas of the same piece of wood or samples of the same timber type so I don't worry about calibration.

wood spirit
5th June 2020, 10:33 PM
Presumably the meter will simply read the moisture level. Be that USA Europe Asia or whatever -something designed for HARDWOODS should work - no matter where the wood comes from- there are ones that you drive the pins into - would trust these a bit more (some do whatever and don't penetrate the timber? ) would not trust them so much.Then look up tables on what is appropriate for the species.

wayne's wood
7th June 2020, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, they are very helpful. Cheers

wayne's wood
7th June 2020, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. Cheers

hurcorh
7th June 2020, 06:55 PM
I've had the MMC 200 from Wagner, pinless type meter for several years, no probs with it yet still on my first battery with it. Have no complaints really and I know they've got several updated models out now with more features

Acker
17th December 2020, 02:13 PM
HI, I was given a Delmhorst j2000 moisture meter which has all the American timbers loaded. Would this meter still give accurate readings for Aus timber or do you have to try to pick timbers that are close to Aus timbers?

Thanks

BobL
18th December 2020, 05:16 PM
HI, I was given a Delmhorst j2000 moisture meter which has all the American timbers loaded. Would this meter still give accurate readings for Aus timber or do you have to try to pick timbers that are close to Aus timbers?

Thanks

Read post number 5 above.