PDA

View Full Version : What Wood is this?

Rosco1948
9th June 2020, 11:14 AM
I recently completed a project, a narrow Hall table. My wife wants a matching dining table however I do not know what species the timber is. I have searched the internet looking for something similar with no conclusion. The timber is fairly hard. Can anyone help.
AND can anyone suggest a supplier in Victoria who may have some good furniture wood.

Chesand
9th June 2020, 11:34 AM
I am no expert but it could be Blackwood as the colours are very similar to a Blackwood project that I have just finished.

James Anderson in Rochester has good timber and I have had a small amount of Blackwood from him. He does not have a website so you need to contact him through the Forum via the Private Message system. His Forum name is Tassietimbers and is a good bloke to deal with.

Hand Saw
9th June 2020, 11:52 AM
My first though is it could be Blackwoon. You would be able to match it up but would need to look at the piecesof timber you were to by. I have made furniture fro blackwood that has ranged fron honey to dark chocolate

elanjacobs
9th June 2020, 06:59 PM
I'm 95% confident it's American Cherry, the grain looks too closed for Blackwood. Any chance of an end grain pic?

riverbuilder
10th June 2020, 11:29 AM
Vote also for American Cherry.