PDA

View Full Version : timber recognition

hughie
12th November 2005, 09:56 PM
:confused:
Hi I am getting alot of friends dropping off all sorts of logs, bits of trees , all doing me a favour by finding stock for turning.
But I am struggling to identify some of the stuff.
What publications are out there that are most useful in the groups opinion to identfity cut timber, or short log ends etc. I have come across several publications that may be of use to me. But I am unsure as to which one or ones are most suitable.

Thanks
hughie

Baz
13th November 2005, 08:04 PM
Hughie, I use Wood in Australia by Keith Bootle and Forest Trees of Australia, a government publication. There is also a publication put out by the Australian Woodworker. Hope that helps.
Cheers
Barry

rsser
15th November 2005, 11:11 AM
Hughie, with a lot of timber you need to ID it in the wild to be sure - that means checking out the flowers, leaf formation and the like.

hughie
16th November 2005, 09:51 AM
Rsser,
Thats true but unfortunately its coming as logs, short ends etc. So I am down to looking at the grain and the bark. Some of it is easy to recognise ie oregan etc. I just had some Black Sassafrass dropped of and this is quite distinctive.
Other wise its humming and harring and taking a punt, then run it by a few local wood 'xperts' and turn away.
not to worry
hughie

Andy Mac
16th November 2005, 10:11 AM
Hello Hughie,
I like this publication, but it isn't real extensive, mostly covering the common commercial species:
Australian Timber Buyer's Guide

(Skills Publishing ISBN 0646180967)

It is usual to indicate the type of timber when selling work, especially turned work. Even when giving it away doesn't seem right to say "Unknown Australian softwood"!:o but probably better than insisting it is Hoop pine when in fact it is Kauri pine! I contacted DPI in Qld regarding timber identification services, and they replied:

In response to your enquiry I wish to advise that DPI&F provides a comprehensive timber identification service on a fee-for-service basis to determine the species of unknown timber samples. No free timber identifications are undertaken.
The rate is $99.95 per hour plus GST. CSIRO in Melbourne is the only other known organisation to provide a timber identification service and as at March 2004 their rates were recorded as being in the vicinity of $275 per sample.

I can provide their direct contact number if you want, but I baulked at the price!:D

Cheers,

hughie
17th November 2005, 11:13 AM
Hello Hughie,
I like this publication, but it isn't real extensive, mostly covering the common commercial species:
Australian Timber Buyer's Guide

(Skills Publishing ISBN 0646180967)

It is usual to indicate the type of timber when selling work, especially turned work. Even when giving it away doesn't seem right to say "Unknown Australian softwood"!:o but probably better than insisting it is Hoop pine when in fact it is Kauri pine! I contacted DPI in Qld regarding timber identification services, and they replied:

In response to your enquiry I wish to advise that DPI&F provides a comprehensive timber identification service on a fee-for-service basis to determine the species of unknown timber samples. No free timber identifications are undertaken.
The rate is $99.95 per hour plus GST. CSIRO in Melbourne is the only other known organisation to provide a timber identification service and as at March 2004 their rates were recorded as being in the vicinity of $275 per sample.

I can provide their direct contact number if you want, but I baulked at the price!:D

Cheers,
baulked at the price, not surprising, ooch! hughie

reeves
18th November 2005, 11:37 AM
a slither of the wood, polished one side helps with ID

i often turn a small test peice so its easier to see what the grain does,,,,

also the chart from Woodreview.com.au is pretty helpful with general knowledge of the common woods u will come across, about 31...i think...

if u get into more details there are hundreds of species of the common forms such as Acacias, eucylypts etc....