PDA

View Full Version : Router Course by Richard Vaughan

Auld Bassoon
12th November 2005, 10:32 PM
Hi All,

Today I, with about a dozen or so other woodies, attended a one day router course presented by Richard Vaughan at the Holmesglen TAFE in Melbourne.

This course was kindly laid on on Grahame & Marita Waterson of Professional Woodpeckers - thanks Grahame & Marita! - an excellent effort - and good munchies too :)

Richard's presentation style is amusing, informative, detailed and very, very helpful. Even for a penumbral woodie (i.e. nearing the darkside:p ), I found his material, his learnings, and his general ww knowledge to be some very satisfactory ingredients into a days learning.

Of particular interest, to me at least, was his innovative and creative use of oh so simple, but also evidently highly effective jigs for making anything from "crooked tenons" - e.g. for chairs, to forms for shaping 1/4" square cross-section beads.

Like many real experts, he doesn't use overly complex or sophisticated equipment (his example router table was very reminiscent of that used and espoused by Gary Rogowski) - but it works, and that's the point.

There may be a chance for another similar course, perhaps again on routers, or perhaps on another topic. Send your votes/choices to Grahame and Marita!

For a measly $130 it was an excellent day!

My choice, if Richard were to be presenting, would be on joinery as first choice, and inlay work as a second.

Thanks once again Grahame & Marita - and, of course, to Richard!

Cheers!

tonyjune
12th November 2005, 11:39 PM
I,ll second all that Auld has said. Throughly enjoyed myself, learnt a lot. Particularly which way to push in the timber on a router table.
I was even lucky enough to win an Inca rule as a door prize.
If another was to come up, I can recommend Richards lecture on sharpening. I saw it at the woodworking show, and was quite impressed.

Tony.:D :D :D

Chesand
13th November 2005, 07:07 AM
I will third all that has been said above.
A good day and I will certainly attend any other days that Graeme and Marita arrange.
It was good to put faces to other forum members and 2 or 3 others admitted that they were lurkers.

Rocker
13th November 2005, 07:27 AM
Of particular interest, to me at least, was his innovative and creative use of oh so simple, but also evidently highly effective jigs for making anything from "crooked tenons" - e.g. for chairs, to forms for shaping 1/4" square cross-section beads.

Steve,

Could you give more info on his crooked tenon jig? I just use two wedges attached with double-sided tape to my table-saw tenoning jig to cut the crooked, twisted tenons on my rocker's side rails.

Rocker

Gwhat
13th November 2005, 11:59 AM
Hi All

Thanks for the feedback on yesterdays One Day Router Course.

Particular thanks to Richard Vaughan for his great presentation, his words have certainly given the humble router hero status. Also a big thanks to Holmesglen TAFE, what a great venue.

For those interested, I've posted a few pics of yesterday on our web-site www.woodpeckers.com.au

We got such a buzz from yesterday we're now planning our 2006 calendar, which we guarantee will feature many more of Richards presentations.

Regards

The Woodpecker

Auld Bassoon
13th November 2005, 08:49 PM
Steve,

Could you give more info on his crooked tenon jig? I just use two wedges attached with double-sided tape to my table-saw tenoning jig to cut the crooked, twisted tenons on my rocker's side rails.

Rocker

Hi Rocker!

I did take some pics, but I'll have to do some manipulating of the images to get them down to an acceptable size. I'll try and post them tomorrow along with an attempt:o at a description.

Cheers!

Paddy
14th November 2005, 05:59 PM
Had just started building a router table, two days before the session with Richard. Am now adopting his " keep it simple approach" and can't wait to start making some of those jigs.
Went into Bunnies on the way home and bought a Triton router for $335, which looked a good price.

great course .. thanks to all who organised it.

Paddy

Auld Bassoon
14th November 2005, 07:15 PM
Steve,

Rocker

Hi Rocker!

As promised, here a the few pics that I took.

Pics 1 & 2 show the jig that Richard uses for making the offset mortices. This jig used a parallel frame with spacers that mirror the shape of the leg on their inner face and are straight on their outer faces - but offset at the required angle.

Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of the offset tenon jig, but it is broadly similar to pic 3 except that it can be adjusted both vertically or canted left / right as required, then set with an adjusting screw and corresponding lock screw. However, if you look at Grahame's post and follow the ling to his web site, the jig in Q is at the top right.

Pic 4 is a circle cutting jig

Pic 5 is: I've forgotten:o - maybe of of the other guys could shed some light?

Cheers!