PDA

View Full Version : Wandering around in the rareified air wonderin what the heck Im doin!

Wild Dingo
12th November 2005, 11:34 PM
Long title I guess :rolleyes: ah well it got your attention! ;)

So anyway there I was this morning hiding out in the humpyhoochy from the little 12 year old girls birfdy party! agh 1/2 dozen of those critters can drive even a mad man insane!:eek:

Anyway I was hiding up there wondering what to do... so I started muckin about with her highnesses new ubeaut sewing centre thing Im putting together VERY slowly then it jangled its way into me head!! Turn the wheel for the boat! :cool:

So over I went to the lathe and glared at it for a bit... muttering the new mantra "Dont bloody bite you mongrel" :o and found the 6 peices Id cut to size and marked for routing but would now lathe turn them... turned one... pretty smicky :cool: turned number 2 still pretty smicky :cool: then started on number 3... and right at the moment when the square timber parts started turning nice and round SHE FRIGGIN RINGS on the mobile!! UGH Im gonna chuck that thing!... so I look at the peice thats now looking rather unlike a ships wheel

Sighed and went to make a coffee... not overly worried thought cause Id thought something like this would happen so Id made a couple of spares... then it strucked me! What about havin a go at turnin some of that Huon Pine young ScottyK gave me the other day? So I raced back down the back paddock to the humpyhoochy sorted through the muddle found the Huon marked cut jointed thicknessed and cut again... so to the lathe... mmmm yum whats that smell?... mmm

So I face up to this stuff with the big half moon shaped chisel... and whiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! man that stuff fair flys off!! no gouging for me!! just like butter it just peels away!!... then I stop!

What the bloody hell am I gonna make with this stuff... its to damned nice to just waste on practice... and the smell is permienting the whole 70ft of the humpyhoochy!! buttery mmm yummmo!!... mmmm turn a bit more... wait... turn a bit more... fiddlefaddle with the different chisels... mmmm maybe a curve here? mmmm what about making a vase type thingy? mmmm smooth it here... give it a hump here... over to the saw cut the ends off yeah yeah supposed to do that on the lathe but hell this is only the SECOND time in captivity Ive ever turned the flamin thing on give me a break here!!!... so that done I head over to the drill press drill a hole down halfway number 20 spade bit... a tad of a hole in the top peice... grab a chisel and carve a bung... bit of moisturiser and some polish and whallah!!! :p

Hey missus!!! lookit what I made!!! :cool:

Was given to 12 year old Brie for her first handmade by dadda pressy

DAMN!! this friggin camera is driving me knuts!! blasted thing keeps bluring and havin a hissy bloody fit! ruddy fancy flamin digmals!! :mad: Will try to update once I figure whats up with the thing! :rolleyes:

Ohh and whats with the chisels? I mean Ive used this thing precisely twice!... well thats not quite right... I had a small fiddlefaddle last week the first time ever and then todays efforts I turned 6 small ships wheel spokes out of Meranti and one vase thingy out of Huon Pine... not what Id call hardwoods... but the chisels have begun blueing!!... whats with that? does it mean Im overtaxing them? geeeeez imagine when I really step up to the ruddy plate with this thing!!! Jarrah Wandoo Blackbutt Banksia and Sheoak will make these things melt!!... so whats to do about it?

What a wonderful day today was!... sun was shining bright and warm did some lathe work did some muckin about with the birfdy girl... was a beautiful day :cool:

Kev Y.
13th November 2005, 12:26 AM
Ding.. nice work, I must admitt you really get caried away when you start to enjoy yourself dont you;)

This chisels and the blueing.. what brand are they, not the $40.00 lot from bunnings? If so then they are only mild steel, and dont have the makeup to hold a good edge with out suffering from friction.

IF not, then its beyond me:o

Wild Dingo
13th November 2005, 02:40 AM
Ding.. nice work, I must admitt you really get caried away when you start to enjoy yourself dont you;)

Well cant say as Ive ever done anything halfway mate! Its all or nothing!! So may as well enjoy it the best you can :cool: I get excited when I enjoy something no point bein "hohum was fun eh" may as well get EXCITED and pass it on makes everyone smile with you then ;) :cool:

This chisels and the blueing.. what brand are they, not the $40.00 lot from bunnings? If so then they are only mild steel, and dont have the makeup to hold a good edge with out suffering from friction.

IF not, then its beyond me:o

The chisels were a unit a 6 pack I got when I bought the lathe and supanova2 from that Orange mob... cost over a $100 so would have thought they would have been okay? but then it was from the Orange mob eh :rolleyes:

But it was fun making that thing and Brie loves it so it was worth the effort fun and excitement for sure :p

Grumpy John
13th November 2005, 09:08 AM
Hi Dingo
$100 for a set of 6 chisels is not exactly top dollar. Expect to pay ~$45 - $60 per chisel for good quality HSS (High Speed Steel) chisels plus another $10 for a handle if you don't want to make your own that is. The set you got is probably made of carbon steel, won't hold an edge like HSS and will rust if not looked after.

Cheers
GJ

zenwood
13th November 2005, 09:59 AM
Nice little pot, Dingo. Huon looks great.

Photos look like a bit of camera-shake creeping in - ?

macca2
13th November 2005, 11:25 AM
$100 from the orange mob will probably chinese, but still HSS. I have a similar set which I have nearly destroyed learning to sharpen, but have never had them turn blue while using them on the lathe,and I have pushed these pretty vigorously into some very hard old jarrah.
Dont know what you'r doing but love your story telling.
Macca

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th November 2005, 05:40 PM
You didn't sharpen the chisels somewhere in there and not notice the bluing until later?

'Cos even Carbon Steel can be hit with a grinder without bluing (not much chop otherwise, eh? :D ) and I find it hard to believe that yer wood is as hard as an AlOxide wheel! The only other thing I can think of is yer jamming the chisels in way, way too hard, but then yer SWMBOette wouldn't have that nice little b'day pressie... instead you'd have a pile of splinters on the floor and probably a few bruises on the noggin.

It's possible that the chisels are really crap steel, but I haven't seen even the cheap $30 chinese sets turn blue when turning... and all they're really good for is teaching a newby how to sharpen. No great loss if ruined. ;) Fer a $100- I'd expect better quality than that!

BrettC
13th November 2005, 09:42 PM
Dingo,
Keep posting....best read I've had all day, blue tools got me beat though...:D