PDA

View Full Version : Changing the time before an external drive goes to sleep...is it possible?

FenceFurniture
21st June 2020, 10:30 AM
I have a 6TB WD External Hard Disc that goes to sleep a little too quickly for my liking - seems to be about 5 minutes but it might be longer.

Is there a way of changing this time to (say) 15 minutes, or is it hard wired into the Drive's DNA?

A little later: I've navigated my way through to Power Options,and found this window:

which was set to Battery 10 mins, Plugged in 20 mins, but that sure as hell looks like the C drive which is SSD in this case. The external drive is 240v, so is never on battery.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st June 2020, 12:45 PM
That power setting refers to the 'puta, not the HDD... ie. if the 'puta is on battery shut down internal HDDs after 10min.

Is your external drive on USB? If so, then it's probably not affected by that setting at all... the 'puta sees it as an external volume, which could be managed by some other device and, as such, doesn't need to be controlled beyond packet mgmt.

eg. I hate using http to access to my NAS, so have it set up to be simply mounted as F: drive.

FenceFurniture
21st June 2020, 12:58 PM
Yes it's on USB. SO I think you're saying there's nothing I can do to change it?

Chris Parks
21st June 2020, 04:20 PM
Reading the instruction manual may reveal something Brett, is there a WD app to drive it because if there is then it may have a time out setting in the app.

FenceFurniture
21st June 2020, 04:48 PM
No manual, no software on it, so I sent WD support an email.