PDA

View Full Version : Pre - Finished Merbau 120 x 18

mickqld
13th November 2005, 01:56 PM
Hi all
I have purchased some pre-finished solid merbau 120 x 18 with a moisture content of 6 to 8% . I want to install over yellow tongue. Some good advice would help.

Grahame Collins
13th November 2005, 07:31 PM
Hi Mick
Welcome to the group.
On a good day,we can work wonders with wood wooden things. On better days we can manage minor miracles. Some of us can do the impossible with bugger all, but still we need more info from you.

Mick! Given that you are new to the forum , I feel that I had better clue you
up.
Righto , We know the timber ,the dimensions and that it is pre finished.

Finished with what ? mate ? What is your intended use for the stuff. What advice would you have us give you ?

Enquiring minds wish to know?
Grahame -tongue in cheek- Collins

mickqld
14th November 2005, 07:54 AM
Hi Graham
The merbau is finished in 7 coats of UV lacquer. Is there a need to top nail this type of flooring laid over yellow tongue.
Mick

jeremy
16th November 2005, 01:10 PM
You'll get different views on whether to top or secret nail. According to the standards, 120 wide boards should be top nailed. (Some of the state timber advisory boards publish guides with this information.) I'm not sure if that is different with pre-finished boards. I would have thought if they are pre-finished you would want to use secret-nailing. (Assuming they have the secret nailing profile). Maybe the people you purchased them off could give you a recommendation? Normally they will supply installation guides.

I laid 80mm Hardwood flooring over yellowtongue. I used 50mm cleats, secret nailed through to the joists below. I used Bostik Ultraset for the adhesive. (Not cheap, but excellent). So far (8 months), no problems. I a large amount of the info from these forumns and talking to flooring centers.

Cheers,
Jeremy.