PDA

View Full Version : Using chisel morticer attachment

echnidna
14th November 2005, 09:51 AM
How do I use a chisel morticer attachment and get a dead straight edge on the sides of the mortices.

Every time I use the infernal thing I get a sawtooth effect instead of a straight line.

rodm
14th November 2005, 10:40 AM
Carefully line up the chisel with the fence before you start. Also make sure the bit is not larger than the chisel. If this doesn't work then have a look at your drill press as you might have play in the quill.

echnidna
14th November 2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks for that Rod.
I adjusted the quill and now it cuts a good mortice

LineLefty
14th November 2005, 06:08 PM
How can you adjust it? If its sloppy then its sloppy isn't it?

echnidna
14th November 2005, 06:53 PM
There is a tapered adjustment screw on mine that adjusts rotational movement.

rodm
14th November 2005, 08:28 PM
Adam
Normal deep groove bearing are not designed for high end loads hence drill presses should have tapered roller bearings - same as on the front axle of your vehicle. The shaft has a threaded ring that is used to load the bearing and take out any play.

DanP
15th November 2005, 05:47 PM
And here's me, been despairing the play in my DP and it's just a case of tightening something up? More info please.

Dan

mat
15th November 2005, 06:01 PM
Dan

Not all play can be adjusted out especially on cheaper chinese drill presses.
If the play is between the quill and the casting and there is no centre split at the front of the casting then you are probably out of luck.

meerkat
15th November 2005, 06:11 PM
hi guys,

are these gizmos worth it ?

the mortiser not the drill press :)

Andrew

Termite
15th November 2005, 07:16 PM
hi guys,

are these gizmos worth it ?

the mortiser not the drill press :)

Andrew
Not in my opinion, I think you would be surprised at the number of them laying round gathering dust, but a dedicated chisel morticer is a great thing to use.