PDA

View Full Version : Pattern followers - or just bearings on bits?

occam
14th November 2005, 11:19 AM
At the Melbourne wood show, I tried to buy a pattern follower bit at McJings. They did not have any, but told me that a ball bearing, held in place by a tiny sleeve (with an even tinier screw) was all I needed. Well, I lost that tiny screw (gaps between floor planks) so I need to get either a new screw, and most likely more bearings and sleeves, or one or more 'dedicated' pattern follower bits. Any advice on self-assembled bits vs dedicated ones? And where in Melbourne (preferably eastern suburbs) can I get these things?

echnidna
14th November 2005, 12:43 PM
You can lock the bearing in place with Loctite.
Use the version intended for permanent grip.

scooter
14th November 2005, 09:09 PM
Second what Bob said.

Have done this & it works well. 3 years & counting.

Cheers...........Sean, not so misguided :)

Auld Bassoon
14th November 2005, 09:18 PM
At the Melbourne wood show, I tried to buy a pattern follower bit at McJings. They did not have any, but told me that a ball bearing, held in place by a tiny sleeve (with an even tinier screw) was all I needed. Well, I lost that tiny screw (gaps between floor planks) so I need to get either a new screw, and most likely more bearings and sleeves, or one or more 'dedicated' pattern follower bits. Any advice on self-assembled bits vs dedicated ones? And where in Melbourne (preferably eastern suburbs) can I get these things?

Hi Occam,

Using a pattern it certainly helps to have a bearing guided bit - whether top bearing or bottom - depending on use. Sealed bearings (rated for the rotational speed of the router, which is quite high at up to c30,000rpm) means a somewhat higher price; I therefore use Carb-i-tool, Infinity (from Northwoods) or CMT.

There is also the option, although not one I use much, of employing the pattern following guide supplied with most routers.

As to suppliers, Mail Order for Infinity (see http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/category111_1.htm) or I use TotalTools in Moorabbin (on Warrigal rd) - they have quite a selection in stock.

Cheers!

Just George
14th November 2005, 09:44 PM

Try an Optometrist for small screws.
Woody

Groggy
14th November 2005, 09:46 PM
Occam's Razor has the answer! A bearing requires maintenance and can also cause marks and burning. A guide, once you get used to the techniques and develop a template or guides, provides a low maintenance solution. Some of the templates allow you to rough out on the bandsaw too.

Just my 2c worth

scooter
14th November 2005, 09:53 PM
Another thought, if you're still after the little bolt, go (strangely enough) to a fastener retailer like Coventry Fasteners in Dandenong. They'd either stock it or be able to get it in.

Cheers.............Sean, lost my bearings...

Auld Bassoon
14th November 2005, 09:54 PM
Occam's Razor has the answer! Just my 2c worth

Gee, my Physics teacher didn't mention that bit...:D

Cheers!

occam
15th November 2005, 08:19 PM
As for using guides - yes, I do. But sometimes I just want to copy a pattern, and then a pattern follower is the best solution.

Thanks for the Loctite tip - I'll use that for a long/deep bit I got in my collection. Also thanks for the tips on local (more or less) suppliers.

However, I visited Gustek (Bayswater) today. They had no small parts, but they did have 30% off CMT bits. So I got a shorter pattern follower, and a 1/2" solid carbide upcut spiral; for use with the guide I'll make using the pattern follower.