PDA

View Full Version : Hartley

csp
14th November 2005, 02:40 PM
Hi all, hopefully you can supply me with the information I need. I have a Hartley which I am currently working on restoring. I am in 2 minds as whether to paint over the timber of to fibreglass and then paint. I am endeavouring to get the smoothest finish as possible. My problem is if I fibreglass I have never done it before. Is it a hard process to perfect? What are the processes involved to get a smooth finish? If I fibreglass what are the best products for epoxy resins? What is the difference between epoxy and polyester resins? This boat will be kept in a shed, it will not be kept on the water. Also, I have been advised to use a product called Techniglue as a filler, is this a good product or can anyone recommend any others? I think that is enough questions for now.

Thanks in advance
csp

John Kinnane
14th November 2005, 04:34 PM
Hi CSP,
I meant to get back to you earlier re you email. On my Hartley TS16 I am in the middle of trying to fix a leak which as everyone tells me is probably round the centreboard casing. I have stripped the paint back to the timber and reinforced the support for the case to prevent lateral movement. My next step will be to apply a penetrating coat of epoxy followed by a normal coat or two of epoxy clear. Then fillet the joints with a thicked epoxy before applying a top coat of a suitable paint. Yesterday I attacked the hatch cover and stripped it back. It had been coverered with a canvas like material before being painted. As soon as this is stripped back completley I will epoxy coat it and then paint it.

Daddles
14th November 2005, 06:07 PM
Mate, glassing over an old boat is generally accepted to be the death of the boat. The theory is that you WILL trap moisture within the timber with the result of accelerated rot. The theory is generally ignored when the only way to get a few more seasons out of a boat is to glass it and use it before turning it into a snapper reef.

Glassing a new construction is a different animal and can work quite well using the principal that a coat of fibreglass is more resistant to abrasion than your average enamel ... or even a very expensive enamel :D

Regardless, use epoxy (eg West, Bote Cote) rather than polyester.

Richard

csp
14th November 2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. After reading your advice I think I will spend some time replacing timber affected by dry rot and spend many hours sanding to a satisfactory finish and then paint with 2 pack to ensure I get the finish that I will be happy with as this is the main thing that I am after, a boat that has a good finish.

Once again thanks for the advice. Keep up the good work.

Craig

John Kinnane
15th November 2005, 09:36 AM
What I should have pointed out it that I am doing the epoxy fix on the inside only. I don't intend to do the outside. My hope is that I can stop the leaks around the centreboard case with this treatment.

Aberdeen
19th February 2006, 05:16 PM
HARTLEY BOAT PEOPLE -
Interested in Hartley Boats, owned or own one, like them,building or thinking of building etc........ all welcome at a new group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hartley_boats/

Regards
Aberdeen