PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using a food dehydrator to dry wood for turning bowls etc?

RSD
20th July 2020, 02:07 PM
These videos have made me interested in finding out more about using a food dehydrator for drying bowl wood - is anyone else using a dehydrator?
Wet to Dry within 18 Hrs # 193 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWHVGlqjKoI)

Dehydrator Drying Test II # 195 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSqs4yKr9EI)

mick661
20th July 2020, 08:58 PM
Gday mate if you want to pieces out quicker use the freezer method.
Turn the piece double thickness place in plastic bag then in freezer.
Remove pieces from freezer next day place in bottom of fridge still in bag.
After a couple of days take the pieces out of plastic leave in fridge another few days.
Turn and finish.
Cheers mick

DAL1957
22nd July 2020, 01:06 AM
I think if my wife caught me using her Dehydrator to dry wood I'd be waking up in Intensive Care.

RSD
22nd July 2020, 01:48 AM
Gday mate if you want to pieces out quicker use the freezer method.
Turn the piece double thickness place in plastic bag then in freezer.
Remove pieces from freezer next day place in bottom of fridge still in bag.
After a couple of days take the pieces out of plastic leave in fridge another few days.
Turn and finish.
Cheers mick
Interesting idea. Anyone else using this method?

Gary H
22nd July 2020, 09:47 AM
The 2013 thread shown below "How long to dry wood out in a dehydrator" may help.
And, Dal 1957, you only THINK you would end up in Intensive Care? You could bet on it :D

kamusur
22nd July 2020, 09:27 PM
Well there's the oven and microwave to torrefy the timber

Steve

Picko
22nd July 2020, 10:13 PM
Interesting idea. Anyone else using this method?

Yes, I've been using this method for years. It works very well, but the length of time in the fridge varies of course with different species. Weigh the pieces before you start and write on the piece with the date. Do this each time you check them until the weight stabilises.