PDA

View Full Version : Fine cracks in Gidgee

Fryers
20th July 2020, 03:00 PM
Hi all,
I've got hold of a couple of precious pieces of Gidgee. My first attempt was a small natural edge bowl, and it got me worried.
As the photos show, some fine hairline cracks formed.
Any thoughts and suggestions as to how to avoid them would be appreciated. It has beautiful grain and color.

Thanks,
Fryers

Old Croc
20th July 2020, 07:36 PM
You will find it hard to find any that does not crack, that's the nature of the beast. I just fill them up with super glue.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Fryers
20th July 2020, 09:37 PM
Thanks Crocy,
I was afraid someone would say that. would have been easier to learn I did something wrong and then do it right...
regards,
Fryers

Mobyturns
20th July 2020, 10:14 PM
Another tip, keep the speed down when sanding as Gidgee will "heat check."

tony_A
21st July 2020, 10:02 AM
That is a nice little bowl you turned there Fryers and a bit disappointing to see it crack. As Moby said, superglue if the crack hasn't opened up otherwise I use superglue with coffee grounds for a dark wood like that. Coffee grounds first then glue. Probably have to repeat a time or two to fill little holes after sanding.
I aim to turn the outside and at least rough out the inside on the same day. I have had fine cracks develop in the outside of an unfinished bowl while having lunch (and larger cracks over a longer period of time). Particularly if the bowl happens to be in the sun while having lunch. It is surprising how even seemingly dry blanks can crack when cut. My take on that is that either the wood still isn't properly dry or cutting allows for the relieving of internal stresses. In either case turning the piece to final thickness promptly will give it a better chance to cope with movement.
I'm assuming your blank wasn't green but for wet wood this is what I do. Place the turned bowl in a sealed plastic bag and every day or 2 turn the bag inside out. Do this for a 2 to 4 weeks for a green bowl then finish drying the bowl (without bag) in a cool shaded spot. Condensation will build up on the inside of the bag and if you don't turn the bag regularly mould will start growing on the bowl. (let any moisture on the outside of the bowl dry for a few minutes before putting back in the bag). This lets the bowl dry at a controlled rate. Weigh the bowl at the start and write the weight on it with pencil. Re-weigh from time to time writing the weight down each time and when the weight stabilises then the bowl is dry.

Fryers
21st July 2020, 03:33 PM
Thanks Mobyturns, I've noticed that & will take care.
Fryers

Fryers
21st July 2020, 03:40 PM
Thanks Tony, That piece of gidgee is as dry as can be. I've got it with a box of odds & ends from a late turner's estate, some 6 or 7 years ago.
Time for coffee grounds and super glue...
cheers,

Fryers