PDA

View Full Version : How should I get parts made?

Billy Bones
15th November 2005, 11:52 AM
Hi folks,

I have some small hardware pieces to have made up. They're pretty detailed. They're headstock hardware pieces for guitars. I don't know much about metalworking, and don't know if they should be cast, or cnc'd or waterjet cut. The pieces are about 1" square. If anybody has ideas, I'd appreciate hearing from them. I can send over the .dwg file if it would help.

Billy Bones

ernknot
15th November 2005, 09:02 PM
Suggest you Google for a site that deals with musical instrument makers etc. The bits you are after must be stock standard from a supplier.

Billy Bones
16th November 2005, 05:42 AM
Sorry, I wasn't very clear with my post. We are doing a line of guitars, and instead of printing our name on the headstock, we are looking to have our name/emblem, and truss rod covers (which are usually made of plastic) made from metal, and fastened to the headstock. There are a couple companies who do this kind of thing, but not any that are about to share with us exactly how they do it. I'm not looking to order stock standard parts, I'm looking to have emblems made to identify our guitars.
Thanks for your time,

Billy Bones

joez
16th November 2005, 08:50 AM
Billy, how about getting them made here http://www.emachineshop.com/

It seems like it might be the way to go for small runs of custom made parts.

Joez

Schtoo
17th November 2005, 01:53 AM
Prolly investment/lost wax casting.

Google is your friend...

Beerbotboffin
26th June 2006, 05:38 PM
Would be a bit of a help if you sent the DWF file, could see what You're talking about. I have a (home) foundry, and use petrobond (oil bonded sand) almost exclusively.

Petrobond gives a REALLY nice finish, as good as sand casting gets, if have access to a polisher / linisher You could finish of the parts that way.

Depending on quantities involved, investment (lost wax) would definately be THE way to go. Investment gives You whats called a "near net shape", meaning there's bugger all finishing required (and probably none for tuning nuts).

Will also depend on the material You're planning on using.