PDA

View Full Version : What timber is this?

TB75
10th August 2020, 05:36 PM
Bought a few logs, was advertised as purple heart Cypress, but a Google search come up nil, it has a Cypress smell, any ideas, cheers.

Acco
10th August 2020, 08:47 PM
Usually known as a Juniperus species, can’t remember the exact species but try searching in the Juniperus Family

Euge
10th August 2020, 09:19 PM
It could be a Mexican Cypress. I bought some from Rare Woods (when they existed) many years ago.
It is oily fragrant wood, unusual with a purple-dark red heartwood sometimes with yellow streaks, here is a bit more ex Wiki.... "Cupressus lusitanica, cedro blanco means white cedar and is also known as Mexican white cedar or cedar-of-Goa, is a species of cypress native to Mexico and Central America. " (wiki)

Some Junipers (as ACCO) says also look like this.

Anyway, both are used as ornamental trees and are not native species.

TB75
11th August 2020, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas, Il do a bit more searching and keep Yous posted, cheers,

Euge
11th August 2020, 03:18 PM
You might find these images useful as a comparison to yours when you cut it up. This (below) is the Cypress of Goa (Cupressus lusitanica) I referred to.

This is a fragrant (cedar/cypress smelling). This turning blank was purchased from Rare Woods when they existed long ago. The wood has darkened over the years but was a bright Purple-Pink-Red in colour with some paler and dark streaks. This one had some burl (birdseye) as well. Ignore the price .. thats what I paid then but the name and id was by them. Most of their ID was reliable. I think this like many of their woods came from Melb, gardens when trees died or were damaged or had to be removed.

Hope its helpful in your ID

Cheers Eugene :)

TB75
12th August 2020, 06:25 AM
Eugene that certainly looks like the same grain and certain that it's the same as what I payed for. The seller said it was a fairly rare timber, is it rare, just wondering if I've been ripped off. I thought I was buying a different species (purple heart acacia) of timber before I picked it up, my mistake, but I paid for it anyway, as I liked the grain. Lesson learnt I guess. Cheers,

Euge
12th August 2020, 06:39 PM
Eugene that certainly looks like the same grain and certain that it's the same as what I payed for. The seller said it was a fairly rare timber, is it rare, just wondering if I've been ripped off. I thought I was buying a different species (purple heart acacia) of timber before I picked it up, my mistake, but I paid for it anyway, as I liked the grain. Lesson learnt I guess. Cheers,

TB, Its an exotic softwood which means its not native hardwood like acacias are. I would not call it rare either but uncommonly available as a wood, most from planted Gardens as ornamentals. Cannot comment on value because I don't know what you paid for that stump.

It they said it was a purple acacia you and they were deceived. Because it is nothing like the purple heartwood of 4 Acacias (2 shubs 2 trees). These are dryland or desert species, hard and dense, some bright purple others a dark purple. These are relativley rare as woods as most grow in protected areas and are declared as vulnerable. None smell like cypress either.

But don’t despair, if you are a turner when its slabbed and dried it should make some nice turned bowls. It would find little use for anything else I imagine. Good luck

Eugene