PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know their Tea Trees ?

mkc
16th November 2005, 03:48 PM
How are ya people .
We also want to put in alot Tea Trees , we're doing up around 1 1/2 acs , atleast that's the plan but l can't find out the ball park name of the ones we'd like to use or if their easy/hard/quick/slow to grow whatever.
The Tea trees we had in mind are the type same as around the Mornington Panisula / Rye and alot along The Great Ocean Rd .
No one has known that variety or been able to suggest something as yet but we'd love to get our hands on something simaler to those .
l did get some Lemon Tea trees - beautifull but l think their slow growers - mine are anyway , unless l need to put something on them .

Cheers .
Mkc

Iain
16th November 2005, 04:48 PM
We ahve a paddock full of them, scraggly bloody things but we are not allowed to remove them, the mosquitos just love setting up home in them.

TassieKiwi
16th November 2005, 05:15 PM
Talk to the local forestry blokes - they'll know.

elphingirl
16th November 2005, 08:45 PM
You might be talking about Coastal Moonah trees (Melaleuca lanceolata subsp. lanceolata). They are fairly slow growing, and live for hundreds and hundreds of years. Be aware if you are planting them in an area to which they are indgenous ( your council will be able to tell you this), you - or any future owners - will have a bugger of a time getting a permit to remove them at a later date. On the plus side, they will make an important contribution to the local ecology of your area.

Cheers,
Justine

echnidna
16th November 2005, 09:47 PM
Tea tree = lotsa mozzies.

Think about planting the local drooping sheoaks instead.
Sheoak was the abundant scrub on that part of the coast.

Cliff Rogers
17th November 2005, 01:07 AM
Tea Tree Leptospermum flavescens
Tea-tree Melaleuca lanceolata
Tea-tree Melaleuca squarrosa
Teatree Melaleuca quinquenervia

Do a search on the techo names & see what you get.

Ivan in Oz
17th November 2005, 06:32 AM
I understood Tea trees were a part of the Marigold or Gardenia families.
I prefer Green Tea myself, most refreshing.

As for not being silly;
You might consider Snow in Summer, Melaleuca linariifolia
Another is Prickly PaperBark...Melaleuca styphelioides
These suck up any excess water,
but also can withstand dry spells and below 0*

I have both those,
also the Lepto I suggest is Leptospermum Petersonii - Lemon-scented Tea Tree.

I have some Lemon pyretheren growing. Break a bit off and use it for a house/car fragrence. Pisses most insects off as well.

mkc
17th November 2005, 08:38 PM
I understood Tea trees were a part of the Marigold or Gardenia families.
I prefer Green Tea myself, most refreshing.

As for not being silly;
You might consider Snow in Summer, Melaleuca linariifolia
Another is Prickly PaperBark...Melaleuca styphelioides
These suck up any excess water,
but also can withstand dry spells and below 0*

I have both those,
also the Lepto I suggest is Leptospermum Petersonii - Lemon-scented Tea Tree.

I have some Lemon pyretheren growing. Break a bit off and use it for a house/car fragrence. Pisses most insects off as well.

Thanks very much for all the help guys , l was actually asking yet another nursery today and still very little so it's a bonus.
l actually like their scraggly look and we have alot of moisture in some areas , that paticular Tea Tree does seem to create a nice drying effect under and around , one of the reasons we wanted it . Not crazy about the mozzies though and afew 100 yrs to grow could be a touch longer than we 'd like . Sounds like some of the others mentioned here could be the go .
lvan , any secret to firing up the Lemon Tea Trees l like the ones we have a lot and if their good for insects , they just aren't growing .

Cheers
Mkc

journeyman Mick
18th November 2005, 12:24 AM
Melaleuca Alternifolia = Ti-tree that they extract oil from
Melaleuca Leucadendron = Really big Ti-tree that grows around here, gets up to 2M diameter

Mick