PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Sandstone

jeremy
17th November 2005, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

I'm getting some sandstone steps built (outside) and I'd love to be able to preserve the colour of the sandstone. Is there anything that I can put on the sandstone to help protect it??

Thanks
Jeremy.

Termite
17th November 2005, 12:53 PM
Sandstone is very porous and seeing as how it is being used for steps it will gather a lot of crud. My only suggestion is a silicone sealer of some type and regular washing down.
Apply the silicone reasonably often because the sandstone will be subject to wearing easily, its relatively soft as stone goes.

scooter
17th November 2005, 03:29 PM
Jeremy, Bondall make a product called Natural Finish Sealer which is suitable for sealing natural stone such as sandstone while still preserving the, um, natural finish, rather than a glossy finish of a lot of masonry sealers.

I think they also make another sealer for sandstone & limestone, but is only for use on vertical surfaces like the face of a retaining wall, not on steps.

They should have a website I'd reckon.

Crommellins (sp?) are another who make masonry sealers, may have a similar product.

No affiliation etc.

Try your hardware store or stone supplier.

Keep container for reference when purchasing for reapplication "down the track".

Good luck..............cheers..............Sean, no stone un...sealed :)

silkwood
22nd November 2005, 03:33 PM
If you want to retain the original look of the sandstone on steps, don't even start. Sealers will only do for less trafficed areas. If you really want sandstone accept that part of the reason people choose natural stone is the way it wears. this is known as "character"! Biggest problem in the stone industry is people wanting natural product (marble, limestone, granite etc.) and then complaining because it is not all the same look and it shows wear.

Cheers,:o